R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

So now we’ll probabaly see (by late July/early August a big shift in the cars assigned to the (A)(C))

- Assuming the 63 St tunnel project starts 08/01/2023:

(A) trains will have about 4-5 R211s running in addition to the usual 10-11 R179s supplementing it’s R46s

(C) trains may end up fully R179s temporarily due to a reduction in ENY car requirements allowing them to get by with just the R160s

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found a video that does say that the pilot train passed the 30 day test.

Now let's wait patiently for the production trains to be delivered, burn in tested (which takes aproximately several days) and gradually be put in service.

My guess for the production trains entering service would be 1 train per week or 1 train biweekly. 

The first three or four production trains will probably come into service pretty quickly. The usual delivery rate is a set every week so likely trains will enter service biweekly.

Kawasaki will have to deliver faster than that though. If one set is delivered a week until the R211 order is complete option 2 will be completed in March 2029.

8 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

So now we’ll probabaly see (by late July/early August a big shift in the cars assigned to the (A)(C))

- Assuming the 63 St tunnel project starts 08/01/2023:

(A) trains will have about 4-5 R211s running in addition to the usual 10-11 R179s supplementing it’s R46s

(C) trains may end up fully R179s temporarily due to a reduction in ENY car requirements allowing them to get by with just the R160s

the flaw with that plan is the possibility of the fact that we're going to have a place to put them. 207 yard is closed every weekend and Pitkin still had a boat load of R32s lying around last time I was there. 

Also... as someone who works the midnights and therefore doesn't do the C and instead often gets J jobs...

YOU'RE NOT TAKING AWAY MY CUP HOLDERS!!!

(The R179 and R211s are the only cars with cup holders in the cabs for the crew, so our water or coffee is always at arm's length, and we don't need to worry about it. It's damn useful.) 

Edited by Kamen Rider

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I found a video that does say that the pilot train passed the 30 day test.

Now let's wait patiently for the production trains to be delivered, burn in tested (which takes aproximately several days) and gradually be put in service.

My guess for the production trains entering service would be 1 train per week or 1 train biweekly. 

The only way we'll know for sure that it passed the 30-day test is if the other sets begin to enter service.

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

the flaw with that plan is the possibility of the fact that we're going to have a place to put them. 207 yard is closed every weekend and Pitkin still had a boat load of R32s lying around last time I was there. 

Also... as someone who works the midnights and therefore doesn't do the C and instead often gets J jobs...

YOU'RE NOT TAKING AWAY MY CUP HOLDERS!!!

(The R179 and R211s are the only cars with cup holders in the cabs for the crew, so our water or coffee is always at arm's length, and we don't need to worry about it. It's damn useful.) 

Amen for them cup holders otherwise f**k them 179s lmao

49 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

Amen for them cup holders otherwise f**k them 179s lmao

You would think someone would have the smarts to

A: figured out this was a good idea a long time ago

or at the very least

B: start retrofitting them to at the very least the older NTTs immediately.

Seriously, just spot weld them to the door. Can’t take that much time. You could do it for each set during their inspection cycles.

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

You would think someone would have the smarts to

A: figured out this was a good idea a long time ago

or at the very least

B: start retrofitting them to at the very least the older NTTs immediately.

Seriously, just spot weld them to the door. Can’t take that much time. You could do it for each set during their inspection cycles.

I would support this 1000%

2 hours ago, Ale188 said:

The 211S just transferred to Pitkin with an NIS 160. Proof:

Oh great. This has some foam in it...

Still seems a bit weird to look at a SI train running in the subway. Yes I know the SI R211s are the same dimensions as the other variants and the same goes for the SI R44s.

25 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

They skipped four sets? Or are they here already?

You should know this that Kawasaki doesn’t deliver subway cars in order. 4060-4099 are here already, so you’re thinking 4100-4119 

Edited by FLX9304

24 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

The cars were never gonna be delivered in perfect order to begin with, as said a month ago. I swear, again, I really feel for the ones with OCD....

53 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

You should know this that Kawasaki doesn’t deliver subway cars in order. 4060-4099 are here already, so you’re thinking 4100-4119 

Yeah I get that, I was wondering if anything else in between was delivered. Especially since 4110-4114 has seemingly been ready for a while now.

1 hour ago, AZthefoamer said:

New buses and new train cars do not have to be delivered in numerical order.  There are certain tests done at the manufacturing plant and modifications/repairs have to be made before delivery....hence they are sometime delivered out of numerical order.

207 and Pitkin are getting R211s of course, I have heard the MTA wants to make the (C) 10-car trains, so will this mean the (A) will become 100% R211 and move its 5-car R179s to the (C)? Will those 4-car sets move to the (J)(Z)?

Also if the (D) becomes 100% R211 at Concourse will R211s be placed in service at Coney Island for the (B)(N)(Q)(W) or will they be placed in Jamaica to move R160s to Coney Island?

47 minutes ago, Reptile said:

207 and Pitkin are getting R211s of course, I have heard the MTA wants to make the (C) 10-car trains, so will this mean the (A) will become 100% R211 and move its 5-car R179s to the (C)? Will those 4-car sets move to the (J)(Z)?

Also if the (D) becomes 100% R211 at Concourse will R211s be placed in service at Coney Island for the (B)(N)(Q)(W) or will they be placed in Jamaica to move R160s to Coney Island?

I agree with the first bit. For the second part I suspect Broadway gets R68/A and Jamaica gets R211 but who knows what the MTA is plotting.

2 hours ago, Reptile said:

The base order of r211As will most likely displace all the r46's off the A/C. That's is probably one of the reasons why the 8 car r179's are being retrofitted with CBTC, even though the J/Z is not getting CBTC any time.

The first option order will most likely make the C and G 100% full length and make the B/D 100% NTTs. The G will either get r179's from the C or get r160's from ENY. If CI gets r211As is going to be for the B. 

I do see second option order going to Jamaica, regardless if it's open gangway or not, while CI gets some of the r160's plus all the r68's.

The MTA needs to exercise the second option order not just for CBTC, but also for the second phase of SAS, which will require more trains for the Q.

Is it true that the MTA included the r268 in the same capital program as the r262's???

3 hours ago, Reptile said:

R211A will go to (A)(C)(E)(F) First the R160 will be made expendable to move To the (B)(D)(N)(Q) the Option will most like go to CIY to Move the Rest of the R160 to CCYD until the R268 are online.

24 minutes ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

R211A will go to (A)(C)(E)(F) First the R160 will be made expendable to move To the (B)(D)(N)(Q) the Option will most like go to CIY to Move the Rest of the R160 to CCYD until the R268 are online.

I think that the second option order, which may be open gangway, should go to E/F. The R should stay with the r160's. The D should get r211As, since it does get crowded, especially during PM rush hours and during Yankees game.