R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lex said:

That's a level of NIMBYism I wasn't expecting to see.

It certainly doesn't instill confidence in continuing to use human labor in revenue subway operations...

The point is that there are train operators out there, myself included who had a lot of time when the R160's came out (I'm now retired 9 1/2 years BTW) who just feel more comfortable operating the equipment we were operating for years.  And we have enough seniority to pick those lines!  If the line I'm working gets new equipment, I HAVE THE RIGHT VIA MY SENIORITY to work another line!  Nobody has a right to second guess me because the line I'm leaving will still be covered by others.   A site like this with posters who are in love with new trains have no right to tell me I can't go elsewhere!   And yes, I did qualify on the R143/160 and I did not like them.  Why?  Because I did not like where the controller was placed... on the cab window ledge!

As far as people "refusing" to get qualified on the R211, I don't believe for one second that people who work the A line are refusing.  When the crew office schedules you to get qualified (someone else will be scheduled to work your job) you go get qualified at the location where they tell you to go.  That is your assignment for the day!

7 hours ago, Lex said:

That's a level of NIMBYism I wasn't expecting to see.

It certainly doesn't instill confidence in continuing to use human labor in revenue subway operations...

Until the power goes out and you’re stuck in a river tube somewhere. Then no equipment of any type is gonna help you. Humans can.

18 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Until the power goes out and you’re stuck in a river tube somewhere. Then no equipment of any type is gonna help you. Humans can.

They'll never understand until it happens to them. A lot of people in this community are so quick to say we need opto or automated trains with no crew but don't understand that a 2 person crew is always needed and if an emergency they are right there to help. 

10 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

I went to Coney Island on the N this weekend and I saw 100-104 signed up as a local, but I forgot if there was a destination. The T set was cool to see too

On top it has one. It might say St George, Tottenville or a shortie. (Short trip variety) (SIR) usually has either 1 or 2 short trip varieties, so it makes it simple for R211Ss to read destination signs. 

These retards really don't have logic at all. People really don't want these cars at Jamaica but i still think they have a 98% chance of ending up there due to the fact that these cars are built for lines like the (E) and (F).

These fans want them on the (N) / (W) so damn bad but yet they don't think with logic.

Edited by R32 3838

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Any thoughts on this information that was posted on YouTube?

ooooooo sht here we go lmfao. This is one of the people that's overly obsessed with R211 car assignments that I mentioned in a previous post lol. If you dare to suggest that r211 are going to Jamaica yard, then its "Treacherous f**kery" to these people. This specific person also made a "presentation" about the case of bringing back (V) and brown (M) and it was also pretty bad so yeah...

13 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

On top it has one. It might say St George, Tottenville or a shortie. (Short trip variety) (SIR) usually has either 1 or 2 short trip varieties, so it makes it simple for R211Ss to read destination signs. 

I know, I use the SIR every now and then, and it should have a Great Kills local on there as well

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Meh, I really don’t understand why they want the 211s on the N/W. It sounds stupid and I’m pretty sure wherever the 211s go is a wait and see game. Sure, they got the most obvious things right but like the others said, it’s more likely for them to go on the E and F. I’m pretty sure that no one is sure of this cuz the MTA is the MTA and they can do whatever they want but I’m pretty sure some of this video HAS to be wrong, right?

50 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I hope they can fix the R211S route display to (SIR) instead of it just saying SI, It's not that hard to do since these are leds. The font might be narrower but at least it'll display (SIR)  I know it's a nitpick

I’m starting to get used to the “SI” display. I wouldn’t mind if they started to switch to using that designation officially on all printed documents related to the (SIR) (maps, station signs, etc.) rather than change the trains’ displays. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

As much as I personally would like to see an R211 on the (N) (really its just I wanna see full color bullets again) there is no need for Broadway to get them. They can get R268s in ~10 years.

Any combination of (B)(D)(E)(F) would be ideal landing spots for the R211s given CBTC install and crowding conditions and one simply needs to ride one of the current sets on the (A) to see it in action.

The extend of the discourse is just going to be this in circles until something actually happens.

59 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

As much as I personally would like to see an R211 on the (N) (really its just I wanna see full color bullets again) there is no need for Broadway to get them. They can get R268s in ~10 years.

Any combination of (B)(D)(E)(F) would be ideal landing spots for the R211s given CBTC install and crowding conditions and one simply needs to ride one of the current sets on the (A) to see it in action.

The extend of the discourse is just going to be this in circles until something actually happens.

If I wanted to, I could make that 50 years if these ppl on the Brighton line keep complaining about wanting things. 

Honestly people are overspeculating this stuff. How long will the R211 be around for? 45 years? 50? More? In that time we will very likely see the R211 on just about every B division line. Capacity and CBTC is what the MTA is aiming for, not pleasing foamers.

The video brings up some points that could be true but definitely is not "most logical".

11 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

These retards really don't have logic at all. People really don't want these cars at Jamaica but i still think they have a 98% chance of ending up there due to the fact that these cars are built for lines like the (E) and (F).

These fans want them on the (N) / (W) so damn bad but yet they don't think with logic.

I'm assuming that these fans live in Astoria.

Less seats means more standing room, which means that more people can fit on the train.

Also, they are against making the C and G full length.

If option 2 is exercised the N/Q/W can get some of the r160's back in addition to getting all the r68's. 

The B, D, E, F should get the r211's. The Q can borrow the r211's during the weekends, since it's the only Broadway line besides the R that gets rerouted via 6th Avenue. The R can keep the r160's. If option 2 includes 8 car trains, then those can go to the M.

On 7/8/2023 at 1:41 PM, trainfan22 said:

I'm surprised at the (A) line crews not wanting to qualify on the 211s considering the R179s already run on that line. But if the cameras are the reason, then shrugs.

I remember reading on one of these railfan forums back then that crews didn't want to qualify on the R160s when new cause of the black boxes on those cars. Eventually those trains got put into service, the old stuff retired and life went on..

Operating a 143/160/179 versus Operating a 211 are completely night and day. It’s not the most Train Operator-friendly piece of equipment. Whoever designed it didn’t get a TO input at all. 

10 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I agree 100%.

On 11/26/2015 at 5:28 AM, LTA1992 said:

For all we know, the SIR cars will be the exact same setup as the Mainline cars, not including FRA required addons, of course. Permanent 5-car sets. With longitudinal seating and more doors, capacity should not be enough of an issue to warrant the need to add or take out cars during the rush.

BUT, I'm likely completely wrong on that and we may see at least three 2 or 3 car sets for late night service. Especially since trains fun every 30 minutes overnight now.

I think that the ME-3 (R211S)s will run as only one set per train,