R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

How the hell do we keep getting back to this discussion?

Because rail fans in YouTube are claiming that the r211's are going to subway lines that are not getting CBTC and have low ridership.

They even have the nerve to say that r160's can carry more passengers than the r211's.

Less seats means that more people can fit inside the train. It's not rocket science.

These rail fans think that because they live in certain neighborhoods that they're entitled to always getting new trains.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/25/2015 at 11:28 AM, LTA1992 said:

For all we know, the SIR cars will be the exact same setup as the Mainline cars, not including FRA required addons, of course. Permanent 5-car sets. With longitudinal seating and more doors, capacity should not be enough of an issue to warrant the need to add or take out cars during the rush.

BUT, I'm likely completely wrong on that and we may see at least three 2 or 3 car sets for late night service. Especially since trains fun every 30 minutes overnight now.

IIRC it was Clifton’s northbound platform and one other station near Tottenville that only let the first 3 cars on the R44s open. That’s gonna have to be a feature

Edited by JustTheSIR

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

They even have the nerve to say that r160's can carry more passengers than the r211's.

I feel like this stems from the wikipedia page where it basically says the r211 has lower capacity than r160's. 

R21130 seats, 210 standing per car = 240 total

vs 

R160: 42 seating, 198 standing (A car) = 240 total

44 seating, 202 standing (B car) = 246 total

Obvious issue is, the R211 capacity number isn't sourced at all so some random foamer couldve forged a random but seemingly realistic number and pass it as a fact. This was honestly something i was wondering about for a long time, whats the official passenger capacity of the R211? Because i tried to look for a reliable source for it but couldnt find one.

16 minutes ago, ArchytectAnthony said:

I feel like this stems from the wikipedia page where it basically says the r211 has lower capacity than r160's. 

R21130 seats, 210 standing per car = 240 total

vs 

R160: 42 seating, 198 standing (A car) = 240 total

44 seating, 202 standing (B car) = 246 total

Obvious issue is, the R211 capacity number isn't sourced at all so some random foamer couldve forged a random but seemingly realistic number and pass it as a fact. This was honestly something i was wondering about for a long time, whats the official passenger capacity of the R211? Because i tried to look for a reliable source for it but couldnt find one.

Throw it onto Lexington and find out /j

On 7/8/2023 at 1:17 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Still, if employees are doing what they suppose to be doing at work, then they should not have an issue with being supervised via camera or via face to face. This applies to all jobs in general. 

In the case of the MTA, train crews are responsible for the safety of thousands of people who ride the subway.

I'm sure they understand that, but there's still a boundary to it. I would feel some type of way if they put cameras in the cabs too. That shit is weird.

On 7/6/2023 at 11:00 AM, Ale188 said:

Wow! That’s really cool to see! Don’t blame me for not seeing the Far Rockaway thing cuz I see it, but besides that, it’s looks like it belongs there. But there’s one problem… WHY THE HELL WOULD THE MTA PUT A 10-CAR SET ON A f**kING SHUTTLE!!?!?!?!? The least they can do is break the 2 sets apart!!

Clearly you weren't around the IND Rockaways in 2020 on the A Line during the summer.

14 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I'm assuming that these fans live in Astoria.

Less seats means more standing room, which means that more people can fit on the train.

Also, they are against making the C and G full length.

If option 2 is exercised the N/Q/W can get some of the r160's back in addition to getting all the r68's. 

The B, D, E, F should get the r211's. The Q can borrow the r211's during the weekends, since it's the only Broadway line besides the R that gets rerouted via 6th Avenue. The R can keep the r160's. If option 2 includes 8 car trains, then those can go to the M.

I agree with the (B)and (D) getting R211s, as the ridership in the Bronx isn't as major as Queens Blvd, it can get crowded to the point where passengers are forced to wait for the next train, calls for capacity increase if you ask me. Either that, or service increase on both lines.  Now, if the (B) runs these, the (Q) will for sure run them as well, because they do share fleets and rotate with each other every Sunday.

12 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Because rail fans in YouTube are claiming that the r211's are going to subway lines that are not getting CBTC and have low ridership.

Less seats means that more people can fit inside the train. It's not rocket science.

These rail fans think that because they live in certain neighborhoods that they're entitled to always getting new trains.

It’s not just rail fans complaining, it’s also average citizens, I don’t blame them tho, if they were to remove the new trains from my home line, I would be mad too, all those trains replacements in the years 2000-2019 weren’t worth it, if they’ll just shift around subway cars, replacing the new with the old, the nyc subway system is indeed strange when it comes to fleet replacements or swaps, anyone outside New York will see this weird as well, I don’t see BART do this, or CTA

11 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

IIRC it was Clifton’s northbound platform and one other station near Tottenville that only let the first 3 cars on the R44s open. That’s gonna have to be a feature

That other station is Richmond Valley.

15 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

It’s not just rail fans complaining, it’s also average citizens, I don’t blame them tho, if they were to remove the new trains from my home line, I would be mad too, all those trains replacements in the years 2000-2019 weren’t worth it, if they’ll just shift around subway cars, replacing the new with the old, the nyc subway system is indeed strange when it comes to fleet replacements or swaps, anyone outside New York will see this weird as well, I don’t see BART do this, or CTA

BART and the CTA don’t need to have specific rolling stock on specific lines to take advantage of certain technologies.

they ordered the R160s before the CBTC rollout on B division lines other than the L had been figured out. July 2002, for the record.

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

WMATA wants to have a word with you as well. When the 7000s came to the system, they started on the silver line before running it all over. Only the Red line is not linked with the rest of the system

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

That's because other cities in the US have smaller systems and those systems are not as old as NYC.

AFAIK I didn't hear any complaints from rail fans when the r142As were removed from the #6 train in exchange for the r62's. 

Oh wait, the #6 doesn't go to Astoria. That answered my question.

8 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

That's because other cities in the US have smaller systems and those systems are not as old as NYC.

AFAIK I didn't hear any complaints from rail fans when the r142As were removed from the #6 train in exchange for the r62's. 

When the R142As were moved off the (6) line, railfans were definitely complaining. Many still complain to this day, even though the R62As are more comfortable to ride in overall. But as we know, lots of railfans think with fan logic more than real world logic.

55 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

When the R142As were moved off the (6) line, railfans were definitely complaining. Many still complain to this day, even though the R62As are more comfortable to ride in overall. But as we know, lots of railfans think with fan logic more than real world logic.

Oh there were many complaints, especially on the upper east side and the local stations between 3 Av and Parkchester. The narrower doors, dimmer lights, and remember that because there was a shortage of R62A equipment necessary to run the full (6)<6> service as it did when there were R142As (460 R142As were replaced with 420 R62As), so (6) service was reduced (also coinciding with the start of SAS Phase I) and the leftover R142As (~80 cars) were shifted from the (6) to the (4) to move 80 of its R142s (7050-7130) to the (2)(5).

3 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Around 2016-17, when the R62As were being prepared for, then transferred back to the (6) line, there was plenty of complaining from (6) line riders about them. Search the Subway threads from about that time and you'll find no shortage of posts complaining about it.

BART basically has several branch lines that converge into one main line through Oakland and SF, so every piece of equipment they have can show up on any of their lines. For CTA, it's not uncommon for them to transfer trains from one line to another. But it's rare that it will be older cars replacing newer cars. That was done with some 2600-series cars being sent to the Orange Line to replace newer 3200-series cars, which were in turn sent to the Blue Line. 

1 hour ago, 4P3607 said:

Not sure if this was posted previously but I just witnessed 4085-4089 linked with 4120-4124 burn in testing along the (A) . I was unaware any 41xx series R-211s were burn in testing already.

You might be right, but I do know for a fact that first set was linked with 4095-99 for burn in. Here’s the video if you missed out

Edited by Ale188