R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

First thing Jamaica will ask…can they be mixed and matched, we love doing that over here 😂

They've actually been told to stop mixing and matching the Siemens and Alstom sets together....

....yet they still mix and match the 68 and 68As together, where one set literally drags the other from what I've been told.

The logic.

16 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

They've actually been told to stop mixing and matching the Siemens and Alstom sets together....

....yet they still mix and match the 68 and 68As together, where one set literally drags the other from what I've been told.

The logic.

I don't understand the logic of mixing and matching different subway sets together.

What's the point of mixing for r160 A with B or r68 with r68As?? Both fleets may have similar looks, but they are mechanically different. 

11 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I don't understand the logic of mixing and matching different subway sets together.

What's the point of mixing for r160 A with B or r68 with r68As?? Both fleets may have similar looks, but they are mechanically different. 

To make service because they are lacking a spare set to make up an full train of the same set. They probably rather have mixed sets to make service rather than missing runs.

Edited by trainfan22

16 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The logic.

Honestly that rule needs to be abolished. I've ridden a mixed R160 set and can not tell the difference then a regular straight A or B set.

I feel like this whole thing is because of the R142/R142A fiasco that happened way back when. Plus didn't a R143/R160 set make it out the yard and ran in service?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Honestly that rule needs to be abolished. I've ridden a mixed R160 set and can not tell the difference then a regular straight A or B set.

I feel like this whole thing is because of the R142/R142A fiasco that happened way back when. Plus didn't a R143/R160 set make it out the yard and ran in service?

Fleet numbers…they’re there for a reason…and also some interiors might be different too

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

It's not the A/B concerns, it's the alstom propulsion and siemens propulsion mixed sets in particular. One set tends to drag the other, and one brakes worse than the other.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

It's not the A/B concerns, it's the alstom propulsion and siemens propulsion mixed sets in particular. One set tends to drag the other, and one brakes worse than the other.

Adding to this, the MTA figured out decades ago that trains run far more efficiently when all cars are of the same type.

Exceptions have been made. Like N trains made up of 8 R40Ms and 2 42s. Similarly with the 32s and 38s on the A.

1 hour ago, Ale188 said:

Fleet numbers…they’re there for a reason…and also some interiors might be different too

I meant ride quality wise.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Hmm, I haven’t noticed that big of a difference, but maybe it’s cause I haven’t ridden them long enough.

2 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Adding to this, the MTA figured out decades ago that trains run far more efficiently when all cars are of the same type.

Exceptions have been made. Like N trains made up of 8 R40Ms and 2 42s. Similarly with the 32s and 38s on the A.

The IRTs R12/14/15/17/21/22/26/28/29/33/36 subway cars wanna have a word or 2 with you about mixing 

25 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

The IRTs R12/14/15/17/21/22/26/28/29/33/36 subway cars wanna have a word or 2 with you about mixing 

Just because mixing some of the SMEEs worked in the past doesn't mean that it is going to work with the NTTs. 

Not all SMEEs were mixed. The r44's were never mixed with the r46s and the r62's were never mixed with the r62As.

With the NTTs it's not just the mechanics, but is also the technology that would prevent the mixing.

56 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

I'm pretty sure @LTA1992 is aware that all IRT SMEES were mixed back then. As they already noted, cars run better when they are of the same type, with a few exceptions. That was the point.

On 8/13/2023 at 1:21 AM, Cait Sith said:

The logic.

That explains all the dead motors!

In case it wasn't clear, this is a joke. That said, it can't actually be good for the motors...

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I meant ride quality wise.

Hmm, I haven’t noticed that big of a difference, but maybe it’s cause I haven’t ridden them long enough.

Oh, srry bout that. I feel no difference either. They’re both almost the same because well…they ARE almost the same. I just don’t get what’s so different about the quality either.

16 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Similar enough designs that it worked. Come on people....

And again, after the 80s, it mostly stopped happening. Hence the DECADES ago...

I swear y'all be wanting to be right SO bad

Edited by LTA1992

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

so it looks like at least one R211 set will be doing CBTC testing on the Queens Corridor this week in the overnights. 

I suppose it’s the R211T set that someone supposedly said was heading towards the Jamaica yard, I could be wrong idk