R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

How many R211s are needed in service to close the gap from the R32s early retirement ?

The base order won't solve the subway car shortage in the B division. CBTC is the reason.

We would have to wait until option 2 for the subway car shortage to really be solved.

3 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

How many R211s are needed in service to close the gap from the R32s early retirement ?

there were ~132 in service prior to retirement and ~200-250 were left before they cut the fleet in half so overall about 250 extra nominally, with base + option 1 we would almost have enough for a decent spare factor

5 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

They only need a few R211s in service to have a safe spare factor (they currently have 4 trains). The full base order is enough to push all the R46s out in a one for one replacement. Keep in mind that older cars require a higher spare factor due to having higher breakdown rates (in this case the R46s).

Edited by RandomRider0101

19 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

80 since the R211s won't need a higher spare factor vs the R32s which would have needed 110 cars with 60-70 cars being used for service. But to be safe it would be 110 R211s but with 80 cars they can start retiring R46s (which is not a good idea if congestion pricing starts next year)

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

80 since the R211s won't need a higher spare factor vs the R32s which would have needed 110 cars with 60-70 cars being used for service. But to be safe it would be 110 R211s but with 80 cars they can start retiring R46s (which is not a good idea if congestion pricing starts next year)

Which is why I've been agreeing with y'all who've been saying the (C) should go full length first before anything. But honestly, the more I think about this the more I realize it's probably better to just push all the r46s out of Pitkin first.

The R211 order has already been delayed too long as it is. Plus the things we've been hearing about the overall condition of the R46s are not good. The cars are approaching 50 years of age, are in bad shape & are running low on parts. They just need to go.

The first priority should be making the (A) 100% NTT first. They can deal with the (C) afterwards. Whether the line goes 100% NTTs first or full length first, both will likely happen back to back anyways. No big deal.

Edited by RandomRider0101

4 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Which is why I've been agreeing with y'all who've been saying the (C) should go full length first before anything. But honestly, the more I think about this the more I realize it's probably better to just push all the r46s out of Pitkin first.

The R211 order has already been delayed too long as it is. Plus the things we've been hearing about the overall condition of the R46s are not good. The cars are approaching 50 years of age, are in bad shape & are running low on parts. They just need to go.

The first priority should be making the (A) 100% NTT first. They can deal with the (C) afterwards. Whether the line goes 100% NTTs first or full length first, both will likely happen back to back anyways. No big deal.

The C will most likely go 100% NTTs first. 

Let's not forget about 8th Avenue CBTC, which will be complete by 2025. This means that all Pitkins r46's and all Concourse/CI r68's have to leave the A, B, C, D trains by 2025. 

The MTA is already behind schedule with the r211's.

Let's not forget that the r32's became a health hazard for train crews during the pandemic. That's why they were ultimately retired.

As for congestion pricing it's a wait and see in regards to which lines will get more ridership and how high ridership will be.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The C will most likely go 100% NTTs first. 

Let's not forget about 8th Avenue CBTC, which will be complete by 2025. This means that all Pitkins r46's and all Concourse/CI r68's have to leave the A, B, C, D trains by 2025. 

The MTA is already behind schedule with the r211's.

Let's not forget that the r32's became a health hazard for train crews during the pandemic. That's why they were ultimately retired.

As for congestion pricing it's a wait and see in regards to which lines will get more ridership and how high ridership will be.

I cannot imagine the R211’s on the (B)(D), unless the 211 ends up on the (E)(F) and the R160’s replace the 68/A’s 

51 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

I cannot imagine the R211’s on the (B)(D), unless the 211 ends up on the (E)(F) and the R160’s replace the 68/A’s 

If the C gets r211's, then there shouldn't be any issues with the B, D getting r211's. The B has pretty much the same ridership as the C, while the D has higher ridership than both the B/C trains. Also, the B and C trains are not full time lines.

Whether it's the r211's or the r160's, the B/D trains will still need to be 100% NTTs by 2025 not just for 8th Avenue CBTC, but also for 6th Avenue CBTC.

As for the E/F, they will most likely get option order 2. It is still possible that option order 2 will most likely consist of r211Ts.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

12 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

If the C gets r211's, then there shouldn't be any issues with the B, D getting r211's. The B has pretty much the same ridership as the C, while the D has higher ridership than both the B/C trains. Also, the B and C trains are not full time lines.

Whether it's the r211's or the r160's, the B/D trains will still need to be 100% NTTs by 2025 not just for 8th Avenue CBTC, but also for 6th Avenue CBTC.

As for the E/F, they will most likely get option order 2. It is still possible that option order 2 will most likely consist of r211Ts.

I would say the (B)(D) will be NTT by 2027 that's when approximately option order 1 will be finished, It's (A)(C) will be 100% NTT by 2025, NYCT can afford to allow (B)(D) to be R68/A's for little longer until about 2027 option order to be done.

40 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

I thought Jamaica doesn’t have enough R160’s even? 

They do, back when the (G) was sent back to Jamaica. They have an extra surplus of trains in their pool now that they have a full order of 5-car sets of R160s in 1 spot. 

Google has recently driven thier street view car past the main Lincoln Kawasaki complex and you can now see a lot of cars outside the factory, five of which are not wrapped up and are clearly R211s. 4115, 4116 and 4117 are sitting front and center. two more are off in the distance, hard to see their numbers.

10 hours ago, JayJay85 said:

I would say the (B)(D) will be NTT by 2027 that's when approximately option order 1 will be finished, It's (A)(C) will be 100% NTT by 2025, NYCT can afford to allow (B)(D) to be R68/A's for little longer until about 2027 option order to be done.

I don't think so. R68's cannot run on 8th Avenue once 8th Avenue CBTC is done.

8th Avenue CBTC (which includes 59th Street) will be complete by 2025. B/D trains gets rerouted via 8th Avenue whenever there's an issue.

Keep in mind that work on 6th Avenue CBTC will begin right after 8th Avenue CBTC is done, which will cause the D trains to be rerouted via 8th Avenue during the weekends.

At some point Kawasaki and the MTA will have to speed things up in regards to the r211's, so that the A, B, C, D trains can be fully NTTs by the time 8th Avenue CBTC is done.