R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

10 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

Just keep this in mind people…the MTA President has already announced there will be no changes to service after the manhattan congestion pricing starts. He went on a late morning tv new program and said there’s plenty off room in the system for more people with additional service than what’s running now. 

That doesn’t sound very promising at all. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

Just keep this in mind people…the MTA President has already announced there will be no changes to service after the manhattan congestion pricing starts. He went on a late morning tv new program and said there’s plenty off room in the system for more people with additional service than what’s running now. 

he'll change his tune once the trains are packed and people start going apeshit. and that is complete bullshit because ridership is at peak pre pandemic levels now and since NYC like to spread it's asscheeks, you have over 100,000 migrants and counting here whom will also use the subway system thus adding to the already increased ridership. He's just damage controling because (MTA) is about to see a drop in employees since a large chunk will retire in 2024-2025.

Option order II is supposed to fix all the issues and also expand the fleet so eventually you'll see extra service unless they kill off some R68s which i doubt they'll do.

Edited by R32 3838

4 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

Anyone whose taken the subway on weekends lately knows this is full of shit. Like who do they even think they're fooling...

What in the blue hell has been going on in these last 5 or so pages? Thought I was reading a reddit discussion about who should be the next WWE champion with all the fighting going on..anyways

Rode the 211 on Saturday and it felt smooth. Believe it was a 4100 set too, nice to see these cars doing good in a city like this. 

We definitely need the option sets, I see subway ridership rising between now and the last set coming in. As for the (G) becoming full length, I agree too, it should be 10 cars, but it’ll probably come with a service reduction. Those trains are packed and sometimes you have to go to Court Square to even get a spot on the train. I don’t wanna speculate car assignments but, hopefully everything is more uniformed instead of random.

5 hours ago, NBTA said:

What in the blue hell has been going on in these last 5 or so pages? Thought I was reading a reddit discussion about who should be the next WWE champion with all the fighting going on..anyways

Rode the 211 on Saturday and it felt smooth. Believe it was a 4100 set too, nice to see these cars doing good in a city like this. 

We definitely need the option sets, I see subway ridership rising between now and the last set coming in. As for the (G) becoming full length, I agree too, it should be 10 cars, but it’ll probably come with a service reduction. Those trains are packed and sometimes you have to go to Court Square to even get a spot on the train. I don’t wanna speculate car assignments but, hopefully everything is more uniformed instead of random.

I think it's more likely the (G) will be 8 cars. Assuming the MTA still wants to go through with making the (C) full length, there will be a ton of 4 car R179s that need to go somewhere. I'm going to guess they'll send them to ENY in exchange for some 4 car R160s to Jamaica for the (G). When the 4 car R211s arrive they can be used to expand service. 

3 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

I think it's more likely the (G) will be 8 cars. Assuming the MTA still wants to go through with making the (C) full length, there will be a ton of 4 car R179s that need to go somewhere. I'm going to guess they'll send them to ENY in exchange for some 4 car R160s to Jamaica for the (G). When the 4 car R211s arrive they can be used to expand service. 

Again, Giving Jamaica 8 car R160's would create a bigger headache and would cost more money in the long term due to the fact it's a restricted fleet for one line. The yard barely have space as it is, Now you adding 8 car units to the mix. having it 10 cars would allow them to share cars with the (E) (F) and (R) like it does now with it being 5 cars.

This would reduce spare factor and require less cars, If Jamaica gets R211s, this would make it even better when it comes to spare factor.

If the (G) returned to Coney Island, That's a different story. They can handle an extra fleet since the yard is bigger and could store more trains. 

9 hours ago, NBTA said:

Wouldn't have to be a service reduction, it could run the same as now.

Back on topic, I think the R211T's should enter passenger service within the next 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Again, Giving Jamaica 8 car R160's would create a bigger headache and would cost more money in the long term due to the fact it's a restricted fleet for one line. The yard barely have space as it is, Now you adding 8 car units to the mix. having it 10 cars would allow them to share cars with the (E) (F) and (R) like it does now with it being 5 cars.

This would reduce spare factor and require less cars, If Jamaica gets R211s, this would make it even better when it comes to spare factor.

If the (G) returned to Coney Island, That's a different story. They can handle an extra fleet since the yard is bigger and could store more trains. 

Wouldn't have to be a service reduction, it could run the same as now.

Back on topic, I think the R211T's should enter passenger service within the next 2 weeks.

I just hope that the MTA doesn't make the dumb mistake of putting both open gangway trains on lines that have low ridership. Otherwise, it would be a waste of money.

17 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

This is gonna backfire pretty badly...

48 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

This is gonna backfire pretty badly...

Not necessarily…

This is all an unknown. We don’t exactly know what effect the pricing program will have on the city and on ridership and on ridership levels on certain lines or stations.

If we make changes immediately, we could make the wrong ones.

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Not necessarily…

This is all an unknown. We don’t exactly know what effect the pricing program will have on the city and on ridership and on ridership levels on certain lines or stations.

I agree only time will tell in regards to the real impact of congestion pricing in subway and bus ridership.

There was a post at the end of the previous page that was removed due to a certain word that was used. It's okay to have disagreements with each other, but let's just be mindful of the language we use on here. That's all.

On another note - I do look forward to seeing this order continue to make progress, and hopefully they eventually can work their way back to the original goal.

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Not necessarily…

fair point

1 hour ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Does anyone know if all R211 sets are running everyday, or are they starting to take 1 out as a "spare" as the R211 fleet grows?

I just want the R46s off the (A) as soon as humanly possible.

Pitkins best performing r46's will go to CI. The worst performing r46's will be removed from service.

We would have to wait for the base order to be in service before official retirement of the r46's begin.

Let's not confuse "removed from service" with "retired".

A "retired" subway car means that the subway car is ready to go to the scrap yard. Keep in mind that there are still r32's that haven't been scrapped yet.

I've been wondering something regarding the two R211T currently in the system. If anybody has insight on if they are planning to test both of them into 30-day passenger service at the same time or just one of them?

Apologize if this has already been answered before but I was just curious.

Edited by jon2305

24 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Once the R211s are fully I'm service. Wi there be enough R68s to cover N/Q/W lines?..

Yes, and it is possible that the NQW may get some r160's back once option 2 is delivered.

BTW the NYPD caught the teen that broke the windows on CI r46's. I just hope that the parents are held accountable as well. Where were they when their teen offspring was smashing windows on the trains??

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yes, and it is possible that the NQW may get some r160's back once option 2 is delivered.

BTW the NYPD caught the teen that broke the windows on CI r46's. I just hope that the parents are held accountable as well. Where were they when their teen offspring was smashing windows on the trains??

Good question, but the real question was why was he not in school, and tress passing on the spot where no one is allowed there? 

20 hours ago, jon2305 said:

I've been wondering something regarding the two R211T currently in the system. If anybody has insight on if they are planning to test both of them into 30-day passenger service at the same time or just one of them?

Apologize if this has already been answered before but I was just curious.