R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

4 hours ago, Ale188 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er1ePU8tefu

4179 and 4177 are seen built

The video that was posted about those 2 R211 cars that was being built or sent is no longer available due to the copyrighted content without authorization to do so. You must have legitimate video from said poster in order for you to share it. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/29/2023 at 1:57 AM, ABOGbrooklyn said:

How severe is the R211 issue?

I'd love to know as well. It's impossible for most of us to say for sure, and it's unlikely the MTA or manufacturer will detail it for the public. 

With that said, it is fun to speculate...

I can imagine a scenario where it's quite simple. People have said oil is leaking. Perhaps there's just a gasket that's poorly manufactured, or poorly designed, and replacing with a new one will fix it. Or it could even be process... something isn't being tightened enough at the factory, etc. 

But there are also a thousand ways it could be more complicated and more difficult to fix. The fact that they're shipping these thinking they're fine, and then they're failing so quickly and so dramatically... to me that indicates either a huge mistake somewhere, or a more complex interaction of things in a way that was difficult to predict and possibly also difficult to diagnose and/or fix. 

23 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

The video that was posted about those 2 R211 cars that was being built or sent is no longer available due to the copyrighted content without authorization to do so. You must have legitimate video from said poster in order for you to share it. 

Ok. That makes sense

22 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

Well, what's an anticlimber

It a metal piece on the end of train cars to prevent them from climbing on top of each other in case of a derailment. Anyone feel free to correct me on this analogy/example but let’s say a 4-car train of 160s (A-B-B-A) crashed into a bumper block, the anticlimbers would stop the B car from sliding forwards and either ramming completely through the car in front of it or bucking upwards and taking the top the train car in front of it. 

Just now, Maxwell179 said:

It a metal piece on the end of train cars to prevent them from climbing on top of each other in case of a derailment. Anyone feel free to correct me on this analogy/example but let’s say a 4-car train of 160s (A-B-B-A) crashed into a bumper block, the anticlimbers would stop the B car from sliding forwards and either ramming completely through the car in front of it or bucking upwards and taking the top the train car in front of it. 

This picture might better explain what I meanNTSB-Woodley-Park-Accident.png

Welp… finally did it. Finally got a turn on the 211T…

Their software still has the “doors open ->” display on the ceiling and the pre-programmed side lights up ahead of time. Gonna be fun the first time Euclid brings an express in on the local at the last second.

Watching the empty train move between stations, the body bending around the curves, rising and falling with the grades  was…

it was fascinating.
It was mesmerizing…

it might also have been nauseating but that might just have been something like a sinus infection showing up at the worst possible time. It’s about two hours later and I’m still feeling funky.

(I am going to assume it was the latter because I have only ever thrown up after getting off a ride once and that was that piece of trash coaster in NJ that fell into the ocean and that not just my opinion, she was known to be a rough ride)

6 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Welp… finally did it. Finally got a turn on the 211T…

Their software still has the “doors open ->” display on the ceiling and the pre-programmed side lights up ahead of time. Gonna be fun the first time Euclid brings an express in on the local at the last second.

Watching the empty train move between stations, the body bending around the curves, rising and falling with the grades  was…

it was fascinating.
It was mesmerizing…

it might also have been nauseating but that might just have been something like a sinus infection showing up at the worst possible time. It’s about two hours later and I’m still feeling funky.

(I am going to assume it was the latter because I have only ever thrown up after getting off a ride once and that was that piece of trash coaster in NJ that fell into the ocean and that not just my opinion, she was known to be a rough ride)

I wanna get qualified but the way this XL South Bid is.....

The Non pilot sets are back in service 4070-4074,4125-4129 was spotted on the (A) this morning

5 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Interesting that they’re testing the R211T in Astoria this late in the testing phase, assuming it already ran in all other B division trackage for clearance 

They just re-testing it again on Broadway, they did the same for the (R) line a few weeks back.

21 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The Non pilot sets are back in service 4070-4074,4125-4129 was spotted on the (A) this morning

They just re-testing it again on Broadway, they did the same for the (R) line a few weeks back.

Ooh, more mix-ups I see...

Edited by Ale188
Bolded the spot I'm talking about

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

They probably want to make sure its cleared to run anywhere in case of reroutes, or assignments in the year 2080