R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

22 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

its not about the dates not being true its about problems that were found that made em push the date back

I know that the weird thing is the R211S didn’t have issue and it was push to March 2024. I guess they were focus with the R211A issues. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, zacster said:

What time of day do these deliveries happen?  I'd go check it out if it is during the daytime and combine it with a visit to Industry City, MicroCenter and Home Depot.  I'm not a Costco member so that's out.

Usually overnight into the next morning. the next day or 2 they go to CIY

Edited by Ale188

I was lucky enough to catch both 211T Sets, they’re running Back to Back as I’m typing this. But I gotta say, I prefer the Soft Shell’s a little bit more over the hard Shells. Outside of that, I like how the FIND Displays have the upgrade of presenting your car number and station navigation. Outside of that, nothing too crazy or Different from the 211A outside of the Gangways. I do hope that these trains are successful as they do feel nice. 

3 hours ago, Ale188 said:

I'm guessing there was no R211 of the (SR)

It's too soon to put r211's on the Rockaway Shuttle.

What's the point of putting NTTs on the Rockaway Shuttle, when the A is still dominated by the r46's?

I think that it's even too soon to put the r179's on the Rockaway Shuttle

Once the vast majority of the r46's leave the A, then the MTA can think of putting the r211's or r179's on the shuttle.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

What's the point of putting NTTs on the Rockaway Shuttle, when the A is still dominated by the r46's?

Once the vast majority of the r46's leave the A, then the MTA can think of putting the r211's or r179's on the shuttle.

LOL They probably saw 4190-94 at Broad Channel and thought it was serving the shuttle, when in reality it was testing at Broad Channel. Such a hilarious and honest mistake xD

Anyways, We also have an NIS 4140-44 x 4160-64 going NB earlier today, signed up as an (F) to 2 Ave. Currently at 207th unless overwise at the moment.

5 hours ago, Ale188 said:

I'm guessing there was no R211 of the (SR)

It was a test train. I witnessed a 5-car R-211 signed as (S) at Broad Channel Layup while on a passing Q53 bus. Turns out it was 4190-4194 testing on the Test Track. 

I noticed the (C) uses all the R211Ts in-service at once. But, I'm thinking they are at sleep overnight. Usually, with the subway, they'll have like at least 3-6 trains parked at the yard as spares. But not with this class type. Even their own R179s, they have 3 trains as spares. 

3 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I noticed the (C) uses all the R211Ts in-service at once. But, I'm thinking they are at sleep overnight. Usually, with the subway, they'll have like at least 3-6 trains parked at the yard as spares. But not with this class type. Even their own R179s, they have 3 trains as spares. 

I mean, the 211Ts are special. As I have repeated and will continue to repeat thill I’m blue in the face and have tapped a hole in my phone screen: they’re true prototypes. They are like the R110/R130/R131 program. You want to evaluate how the train behaves, how the people react to it, and to do that, you need to run them.

you run them every chance you get. If the brakes charge up, if the traction motors work, and if the darn thing is not on fire, send it out. You short handed and need to layup some trains? Lay someone else up, leave the Ts out there.

again, this isn’t just about the mechanics, but about the ridership. The people. How do they react to them. Do they use the gangways without a second thought. Do they like this idea?

On 2/9/2024 at 1:53 PM, LGA Link N Train said:

I was lucky enough to catch both 211T Sets, they’re running Back to Back as I’m typing this. But I gotta say, I prefer the Soft Shell’s a little bit more over the hard Shells. Outside of that, I like how the FIND Displays have the upgrade of presenting your car number and station navigation. Outside of that, nothing too crazy or Different from the 211A outside of the Gangways. I do hope that these trains are successful as they do feel nice. 

What type of station navigation do the cars display? I haven't been on them yet. 

20 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

They already have R179s running on the (S) daily.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

28 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Even with GOs this weekend they were running 2 trains apart. Their roster for the weekend was 2 R211Ts, R179s from both Pitkin & ENY and 4 sets of R46s 

And I can remember when the CC had its own dilapidated fleet of R4s that only ran in rush hours.  It wasn't even shared with the D from Concourse.  They must've just made on trip from BPB to Chambers and then back, and that was all they could handle.  It's come a long way, although those R46s are even older now than the R4s were back then.

5 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

They already have R179s running on the (S) daily.

Bad idea.

AFAIK the Rockaway Park doesn't have higher ridership than the A. 

IMO the r179's and the r211's should only go to Rockaway Park during rush hours until a huge majority of the r46's are gone from the A.

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Bad idea.

AFAIK the Rockaway Park doesn't have higher ridership than the A. 

IMO the r179's and the r211's should only go to Rockaway Park during rush hours until a huge majority of the r46's are gone from the A.

Great.

That shuttle uses rolling stock like the M35 uses buses. It's not officially an artic route, but artics work just fine on it.