Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure if this has been asked before , but is it possible to create a <1> express that goes from 96 St to South Ferry Loop skipping every 3 stops, excluding Chambers St, while the (1) Terminates at the Brand New South Ferry Station?

What's the point?

I would post a picture but it doesn't let me for some reason.

Speaking of which, Is there any way to get on a 5 train and observe the Inner Loop of South Ferry like you do on a (6) to watch City Hall Loop.

The same way you use the (6) to get in the City Hall loop is the same way you can use the (5) to get in the South Ferry inner loop: Stay inside the train.

3491877_orig.png

This is my proposal for Rockefeller Center. It makes it easier for local and express. Comment on it.

Delays, delays, and even more delays. How does it make it easier for local and express? Those switches are never used anyway; might as well leave them as is.

btw the shuttle platform at Bowling Green is shorter than the regular station length, and it is abandoned. That's the point of the (5) going there; to turn around in the other direction.

Something I've been thinking about a bit. If the hypothetical SAS-Nassau St connection were to be built, would it be feasible to run the T (or another SAS service if necessary) 24/7 to Bay Ridge? My line of thought is that a full time service would eliminate the need for the late night R shuttle, similar to how the West End shuttle was eliminated by sending the D through West End instead of the B.

Having a SAS service at Atlantic could also divert some traffic off of the 4 and 5.

Something I've been thinking about a bit. If the hypothetical SAS-Nassau St connection were to be built, would it be feasible to run the T (or another SAS service if necessary) 24/7 to Bay Ridge? My line of thought is that a full time service would eliminate the need for the late night R shuttle, similar to how the West End shuttle was eliminated by sending the D through West End instead of the B.Having a SAS service at Atlantic could also divert some traffic off of the 4 and 5.

If phrase 4 can't be funded, it could be possible. Just remember that the Nassau Street line use 8x60 cars and might not be able to use the line because of this.

Although I seen an 75 footer on Nassau Street a few times in movies....

Somethings got me thinking to.

In case anything were to happen to Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall on the Lexingiton Line, like the roof has fallen onto the platform, but the tracks remain in use. how would the (6) terminate? I know Bowling Green might seem like a good terminal, but what if the MTA were to reopen City Hall Loop, just as they did with the South Ferry Loop on the (1). They could get gap fillers, and restore the station. What do you think?

Somethings got me thinking to.

In case anything were to happen to Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall on the Lexingiton Line, like the roof has fallen onto the platform, but the tracks remain in use. how would the (6) terminate? I know Bowling Green might seem like a good terminal, but what if the MTA were to reopen City Hall Loop, just as they did with the South Ferry Loop on the (1). They could get gap fillers, and restore the station. What do you think?

If the roof has fallen to the platform, then I think the WHOLE STATION would be closed, because potentially the whole station could come smashing down.

As for City Hall Loop, I don't think it's needed. The reason it was shut down because of low ridership, and the Brooklyn Bridge station is a short walk away. Also the money and effort needed to restore that station wouldn't be worth it.

If phrase 4 can't be funded, it could be possible. Just remember that the Nassau Street line use 8x60 cars and might not be able to use the line because of this.

Although I seen an 75 footer on Nassau Street a few times in movies....

Actually, those stations can I believe handle NINE 60-foot cars.  It's been repeatedly mentioned in the past many of the Nassau Street line stations used to handle eight BMT Standards that were 67 feet in length, meaning those stations actually are 536 feet in length.  It would be a tight fit, but nine cars would be doable as it is.

More likely, the Nassau Street line stations that would be used on the SAS would be lengthened to handle 600' trains.

I'm back! :D 

(E)(J)(Z)- Extension to Bellrose Terrace. Same two-level tunneling. (E) acts a local.  (J) and  (Z) as an express.

Following stations part of the extension: (Green is localRed is express.)

*turns onto Jamaica Avenue for the whole extension*

168th Street

181st Street

196th Street

Francis Lewis Boulevard

Hempstead Avenue

Springfield Boulevard-Amboy Lane (Transfer to LIRR)

241st Street-Cross Island Parkway (Terminal)

I'm back! :D

(E)(J)(Z)- Extension to Bellrose Terrace. Same two-level tunneling. (E) acts a local.  (J) and  (Z) as an express.

Following stations part of the extension: (Green is localRed is express.)

*turns onto Jamaica Avenue for the whole extension*

168th Street

181st Street

196th Street

Francis Lewis Boulevard

Hempstead Avenue

Springfield Boulevard-Amboy Lane (Transfer to LIRR)

241st Street-Cross Island Parkway (Terminal)

Looks good. Although I think that you should make 168th Street express, move 181st Street to 188th Street, and work on the local and express thing because looking at the bus map, I have a theory that most of those stops will have high ridership due to bus connection. We also have to move the Archer Avenue line to be on Jamaica Avenue since the (J)(Z) will be leaving Jamaica Avenue to go on Archer, then go back to Jamaica. But overall, pretty good.  ;)

Looks good. Although I think that you should make 168th Street express, move 181st Street to 188th Street, and work on the local and express thing because looking at the bus map, I have a theory that most of those stops will have high ridership due to bus connection. We also have to move the Archer Avenue line to be on Jamaica Avenue since the (J)(Z) will be leaving Jamaica Avenue to go on Archer, then go back to Jamaica. But overall, pretty good.  ;)

Thanks. For that, I give you a vote up. :)

I guess my imagination can go wild since this is only a proposal

Convert the Flushing Line from Queensboro Plaza to Flushing back to the B division and have the (R) run from Flushing to Bay Ridge-95th St and convert the Flushing Line from Hudson Yards to Queensboro Plaza to the PATH via a new PATH line. 

No more (7) train unfortunately but this free's up space for another QBL service like the (G) or a future Second Ave Line, the (R) would have a AM/PM rush hour express <R> Flushing service, and there's a one seat ride to Penn Station, GCT and to Queens for Jersey riders/commuters.

Has anyone ever thought of fare zones? One being Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. Then Uptown and South Bronx (after 125th). The rest of the Bronx past 180th would be another zone. Now Queens would be a zone and so would Eastern Queens (past Woodhaven/Junction Blvd). Finally the rest of Brooklyn.

Prices:

Thru a single zone: $1.50

Thru two zones: $2.50

Thru three zones: $3.25

Thru four zones: $4

Thru more than four zones: $5

Convert the Flushing Line from Queensboro Plaza to Flushing back to the B division and have the (R) run from Flushing to Bay Ridge-95th St and convert the Flushing Line from Hudson Yards to Queensboro Plaza to the PATH via a new PATH line. 

No more (7) train unfortunately but this free's up space for another QBL service like the (G) or a future Second Ave Line, the (R) would have a AM/PM rush hour express <R> Flushing service, and there's a one seat ride to Penn Station, GCT and to Queens for Jersey riders/commuters.

Wow...Thats some proposal

But we don't want East Midtown or Brooklyn, we want Midtown/ West Midtown

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I guess you can go wild but NOOO MY (7)! :(

Edit: Actually, you aren't supposed to go wild. Has to be realistic. ;)

Has anyone ever thought of fare zones? One being Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. Then Uptown and South Bronx (after 125th). The rest of the Bronx past 180th would be another zone. Now Queens would be a zone and so would Eastern Queens (past Woodhaven/Junction Blvd). Finally the rest of Brooklyn.

Prices:

Thru a single zone: $1.50

Thru two zones: $2.50

Thru three zones: $3.25

Thru four zones: $4

Thru more than four zones: $5

That could work whenever the country's economy gets better.

Edited by MTA Dude

3491877_orig.png

This is my proposal for Rockefeller Center. It makes it easier for local and express. Comment on it.

Your diagram is unreadable. What's over, what's under, and what is connected to what?

Typically, dotted lines indicate tracks on a second level. The same goes for gray-out platforms as well. To show that a track serves two different trunk lines, two different-colored lines are drawn in parallel, without any gap in between.

Edited by CenSin