Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where exactly are you reading this?

The main issue with capacity on the (7) is the terminal - Main St's three-track setup is actually a bit harder to deal with, and there are also no tail tracks so trains cannot enter the station at speed. Even now, some trains do not terminate at Flushing-Main St due to capacity.

Why didn't the MTA consider extending the tracks at Main Street to increase rush hour capacity?

Why didn't the MTA consider extending the tracks at Main Street to increase rush hour capacity?

I wondered that too, but I really doubt extending them will be any help. The main reason they are low on cap at Flushing, I believe, is the complicated switching and the constant signal problems. Trains constantly cross from track to track and crossing paths, delaying everything. Also, a signal will often stay red when there is an empty spot. When a train leaves, often it will take 30 seconds to change to green after everything is cleared. If CenSin's track layout were to be implemented to Flushing-Main St, it wouldn't have all these hold ups.

What are shell stations?

A station shell is generally a rugged outline of a station and where it will be, should they decide to build one in the future.

The only station shell in the system is the Cortlandt St (1) station.

EDIT: The lower level of Nevins St also has a station shell, along with Utica Av (A)(C), and Broadway (G)

Edited by Fresh Pond

The MTA is wasting their time with the SAS. It's a shame that they aren't building Express Tracks. What will they do with the shell stations?

The shell stations are not practical to use in any shape or form, and they will remain closed for the foreseeable future. On the other hand, the SAS is very important, since there is only one subway line on the East Side that is ridiculously overcrowded, and the bus that runs on top  of the SAS is the busiest bus in the city and suffers from severe overcrowding.

Because there's an entrance right there. Escalators directly line up with two of the tracks, and an extension of the (7) is low on the priorities list considering that a good portion of transfers in Flushing do not come from places around Northern Blvd or the Port Washington Branch.

I believe the shell stations are only in Phase II.

There are no stations, only tunnels. The stations in Phase II would still have to be built.

Wait so the tunnel was already prebuilt? I'm confused.

How about extending the (C) to Carnasie after Ecuild Ave to provide easy access to the (L)? Or via the (L) after Broadway Junction.

Since the (L) line can not have express service due to its shortness of 2 tracks, why not build a tunnel under the existing tunnels with 2 tracks that provide express service and crossover into the upstairs tunnel about where it wants to stop?

How about extending the (C) to Carnasie after Ecuild Ave to provide easy access to the (L)? Or via the (L) after Broadway Junction.

Since the (L) line can not have express service due to its shortness of 2 tracks, why not build a tunnel under the existing tunnels with 2 tracks that provide express service and crossover into the upstairs tunnel about where it wants to stop?

If power upgrades are installed on the (L), capacity will be able to increase by about 30%, so let's not get ahead of ourselves by building a trunk line.

We have only built a set of express tracks underneath active local tracks once, under Sixth Avenue, and it was wildly expensive and went well over budget.

Capacity problems on the (L) are not on the east side, so there is no point in providing a second service on the eastern half of the line.

Parts of SAS were already built during the 1970s before construction had to be stopped because the city went bankrupt. From 96 to 116th St, tunnels already exist, without stations.

Because there's an entrance right there. Escalators directly line up with two of the tracks, and an extension of the (7) is low on the priorities list considering that a good portion of transfers in Flushing do not come from places around Northern Blvd or the Port Washington Branch.

Would it be possible to demolish the current entrance and relocate the stairs, escalators, and elevators?

Would it be possible to demolish the current entrance and relocate the stairs, escalators, and elevators?

The station is either the 10th or 11th busiest station in the system depending on the year. Any shutdown of entrances is non-negotiable, and it'd actually be pretty silly considering that said entrance was opened because the station was overcrowded.

It's impossible to reroute the (C) via the (L) after the junction. The (C) is already underground and the (L) is in the air already above the (J) about 80 feet in the air.

It's possible. But like the long construction project that connected the 63 Street line to Queens Boulevard,you'd have to create temporary alternatives while making changes to the infrastructure. In the case of Main Street, you'd have to construct additional exits, and then you could demolish the existing ones.

It's possible. But like the long construction project that connected the 63 Street line to Queens Boulevard,you'd have to create temporary alternatives while making changes to the infrastructure. In the case of Main Street, you'd have to construct additional exits, and then you could demolish the existing ones.

Sounds reasonable

The station is either the 10th or 11th busiest station in the system depending on the year. Any shutdown of entrances is non-negotiable, and it'd actually be pretty silly considering that said entrance was opened because the station was overcrowded.

Not to mention the loss of ADA-compliance at Main St if they have to tear out the entrance beyond the track bumpers in order to extend the (7) eastward. It pains me to write this, because I have long been in favor of a 7 extension to eastern Queens, but it seems like this would be a very big hurdle to clear and I'm not sure the MTA would even want to try.

Won't most business in Flushing object to a (7) extension.

Why would they? Especially the ones not on Roosevelt Ave?