Man dragged to his death on (F) train after getting stuck.

Javier

Even so, R46's have the ability to open the door a bit to free somebody of their clothes get stuck on the door, while R160's can't open at all but the doors won't close if clothes are stuck because it makes the doors Ajar which won't let the train leave. So what exactly happened?

That's a pretty big generalization there...

Walk around Midtown and see how big of a generalization it is.  It's well documented particularly here in NYC that many of the homeless people that you see have mental issues.  

Mental illness is a major contributor to homelessness. In a 2008 survey performed by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, 25 cities were asked for the three largest causes of homelessness in their communities. Mental illness was the third largest cause of homelessness for single adults (mentioned by 48% of cities). For homeless families, mental illness was mentioned by 12% of cities as one of the top three causes of homelessness. (National Coalition on Homelessness)

Lack of treatment for the most seriously mentally ill causes the kind of delusions and bizarre behavior that makes living alone or at home with families untenable. As a result, many become people with untreated serious mental illness become homeless and communities are forced to bear the cost of that.  

How many seriously mentally ill are homeless? 

Estimates vary. In January 2012, the largest survey found 633,000 people were homeless on a given night in the United States. (HUD 2012). Of the 633,000 who were homeless, Sixty-two percent of them (almost 400,000) were sheltered (living in emergency shelters or transitional housing), but 38%, nearly a quarter of a million, were unsheltered (living on the streets or in abandoned buildings, vehicles, or parks. These estimates do not include homeless “couch-surfers,” who camp out on the sofas of friends and families, move every few days, and have no permanent address.

Source: http://mentalillnesspolicy.org/consequences/homeless-mentally-ill.html

At 06:45 in the morning? I doubt it would be that crowded.  The guy was homeless though so who knows if he was even in the right frame of mind to begin with.  Most of these homeless people have mental issues anyway.

This happened in the pm

At 06:45 in the morning? I doubt it would be that crowded.  The guy was homeless though so who knows if he was even in the right frame of mind to begin with.  Most of these homeless people have mental issues anyway.

He's right. Trust me, from my EMS experience. Most of them have mental issues and/or don't want help. You can lead a horse to water, but cannot make it drink.

It's unfortunate, but it's a growing problem particularly here in NYC. Not enough being done to house the mentally ill...

Agreed.

As far as how nobody noticed him get stuck, we can make a couple assumptions here:

Firstly, his body must have been outside the train. He was so badly injured this is a given.

Secondly the doors must have closed enough that the train had indication - so he very likely must have had a peice of clothing stuck in the door.

The people inside the car probably didn't notice that his clothing was stuck - even if they did, for someone to have the presence of mind to run to the e-brake and pull it could easily account for 30 feet of drag.

The people on the platform don't have an easy way of signalling the crew here, so for the conductor to realize that that's why people are shouting and pull the cord himself could account t for 30feet. (This is half a carlength. It's not very far.)

Kew Gardens is also on a slight curve. So the conductor also may not have had a clear view of him.

So - people may have noticed or they may have not - but this all may have happened quick enough that nobody could do a thing.

Kew Gardens is also on a slight curve. So the conductor also may not have had a clear view of him.

Is Kew Gardens so curved as to block visibility? I'm sure they're going to be looking very closely into whether or not the C/R gave too quick a glance, as this type of thing should never, ever happen.

Is Kew Gardens so curved as to block visibility? I'm sure they're going to be looking very closely into whether or not the C/R gave too quick a glance, as this type of thing should never, ever happen.

It doesn't take much of a curve to obscure something 300 feet away. If this happened in the far front or rear of the train, for instance. 

Found a photo of the station, this picture taken at the front of the train, you can't see three cars back. 

unione27.jpg

I hate to speculate, and It's far from my intention to imply it is the victims fault - but if the vic was behaving erattically on the platform before the incident, while the doors were still open.... Even if he cried out that he was stuck, if he was yelling earlier the C/R might have paid it no mind. 

Was it a door circuit failure?  Those used to happen often on the Redbirds in their later years...

Could be? I still speculate that it was clothing caught in the door allowing it to latch and give indication even though a person was stuck.

^Credit Cards are made of plastic and they bend when the doors of a R160 try to close on them. Sometimes It might give the green light to close the doors other times it may not. Clothing, is too weak on a perspective, their like paper, if you put a paper through a R160 door and it closes, the doors are going to think that there's nothing there. In the event of a emergency like this, if someone is screaming that their stuck, someone needs to pull the emergency brake.

Archived