D Train R68 Question

8thAvExpress

A few reasons this was likely the case:

- The R10s-R30s were what ran on the (D). Remember that anything pre-R32 was replaced by the R68/As and new cars typically go to the line that had the cars they replaced.

- Easier for Concourse to maintain one type of car and keep it consistent

- No reason to move things around (and waste money) if they don't have to

- (D) crews only need to know how to operate 1 type of car

- The entire IND can handle 75 foot cars and loads aren't high enough to make the extra 8 doors per side absolutely necessary

- It runs 600' trains at all times

(D) mainly uses R68 and not R68A.

That's like (1) only uses R62A.

When the R68As came in they were only on the (D) Train along with R68 2500-2591. In 1995 the (D) Train ended up receiving R68 2592-2791 from CIY while CIY got all of the R68As.

As for the OP, the (D) Train was originally supposed to get part of the R160 order (180 Cars) when they were coming in but Concourse Yard didn't have the equipment available to maintain them (Except for the wash).

It seems coming out of the horrible period in the subways, the (D) gave up the 44's, and was left with 32's and 40m/42's, in bad condition (with occasional R30's, and later, slant 40's). So the 68's were the bright new car at the end of this period, and thus essentially replaced the 44's, which when GOH's all went exclusively to the (A).

Concourse liked them so much they always kept them, and even swapped the 68A's for the  :Q:'s share of 68's. I heard they didn't want 160's, for the 68's were "tried and true".

(Never heard about a plan to give them 180 of them).  

However its still shocking that they mainly don't use sometimes R68A which they could borrow swap from (B) and they actually do as Yankee games specials. Plus i also think (D) Train crews probably prefer R68 more than R68A because of controlling differences.

It was a few weeks before actually. When the first set started running (A couple people posted some photos of it earlier this year on Facebook) the (D) Train was still running full route.

I'm going to need to find that. I don't suppose you know which Facebook page?

A few reasons this was likely the case:

- The R10s-R30s were what ran on the (D). Remember that anything pre-R32 was replaced by the R68/As and new cars typically go to the line that had the cars they replaced.

- Easier for Concourse to maintain one type of car and keep it consistent

- No reason to move things around (and waste money) if they don't have to

- (D) crews only need to know how to operate 1 type of car

- The entire IND can handle 75 foot cars and loads aren't high enough to make the extra 8 doors per side absolutely necessary

- It runs 600' trains at all times

Then can R160 or (upcoming) R179 cars be substituted? Not permanently but as an addend since Stilwell Avenue has a yard full of them.

(R) trains have been using them more often BTW. The one that took me into Manhattan was an R160.

???? Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow ????

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer ????

Then can R160 or (upcoming) R179 cars be substituted? Not permanently but as an addend since Stilwell Avenue has a yard full of them.

(R) trains have been using them more often BTW. The one that took me into Manhattan was an R160.

There's no need for them to run on the (D) as Concourse has more than enough R68s to cover service. Worse case scenario, they'll borrow a laid up (B) train sitting in Concourse to make service, and even so there's a chance it'll STILL be a R68.

The (R) has been running 160s for ages. The number fluctuates every so often, but theta always at least one out there.

The only time will a R160 run on the (D) is if...

A (N) running via West End is signed up as a (D) to avoid confusion.

If a issue happens at 168th St that forces (C) trains to go up to 205th and come back down as (D)'s.

Basically and delay that results in a fleet going over the (D), it has a 50/50 chance that it will use that fleet for that run.

Just like the R160 (B) train to 2nd Avenue that Daniel caught a few months ago.

The only time will a R160 run on the (D) is if...

A (N) running via West End is signed up as a (D) to avoid confusion.

If a issue happens at 168th St that forces (C) trains to go up to 205th and come back down as (D)'s.

Basically and delay that results in a fleet going over the (D), it has a 50/50 chance that it will use that fleet for that run.

Just like the R160 (B) train to 2nd Avenue that Daniel caught a few months ago.

Not necessarily true, I saw and caught an R-160 (D) a few years back that ran the length of the line from The Bronx to C.I and once it got to CI it ended service on the (F) line track and was in service as an uptown (F). It was a newly serviced train because it hadn't had any ads yet. On the date I caught it probably was during regents week or even during a school closing storm.

That's what I was trying to say.

Like if a G.O cuts off a line from access to it's yard (let's use the (1), no service north of 96th St.) then that line will borrow cars from another fleet. In this case, the (1) could borrow the R142's from the (2) or the R62's from the (3).

Now if the Canarsie issue during Sandy was reversed and it instead destroyed Rockaway Parkway yard, then the (L) would have to borrow the fleet from the (J)(M) and (Z).

There's no need for them to run on the (D) as Concourse has more than enough R68s to cover service. Worse case scenario, they'll borrow a laid up (B) train sitting in Concourse to make service, and even so there's a chance it'll STILL be a R68.

The (R) has been running 160s for ages. The number fluctuates every so often, but theta always at least one out there.

Thats true 100%...As for the  (R) i still think the  (MTA) should run more R160's on that line...What you think Turtle about that?

The TA regards the (R) as a junk line and is OK with poor OTP. Their prized R160's are mostly kept off of it.

...Or there just aren't enough cars to have the R use mostly NTT's and the E and F have more ridership and 75 foot trains cause longer dwell times so it just wouldn't be practical to use them on the latter lines...

Jamaica only has but so much 160s. The (E) and (F) need them more.

You are correct. The R46s are 75 feet long, and they run in 4-car consists, and two consists are used to make up a train of 600 feet.

The R160s are 60 feet long, and they run in either 4-car or 5-car consists. The R160s that are assigned to Jamaica Yard (I am not counting the (M)s that are just stored in the yard) are 5-car sets, and two consists are used to make up a train of 600 feet.

There are 4 sets of doors per side of an R46. 4 sets of doors per side x 8 cars = 32 doors opening per side.

R160s have 4 sets of doors per side, and they operate in 10 car trains. 4 sets of doors per side x 10 cars = 40 doors opening per side.

The (E) and (F) are packed, and R46s result in higher dwell time because of less entries to the train. If the R46s were designed to have 5 sets of doors per side, then there would not be this issue.

Jamaica has more than enough R160s to provide the R with at least half of its fleet especially on wkdays....Of course i know until R179s start rolling than that will change...Like i said before we in 2016 and paying 3 dollars a fare and at least 10 sets of those on the R will not effect the E or F in anyway...ive seen more than 10 sets before on the R W/o effecting E F services.... R runs thru 3 boros respectfully and serve broadway and qns blvd...just my opinion..carry on

Archived