Queens Community Board 14 Withdraws their support for the Woodhaven Blvd SBS

BrooklynBus

One big problem, Metro Card is old, when MVM screws up or your card screws up, you can't just get a new one from the MTA in a heartbeat, it's takes 7-8 weeks. So what your proposing is we stop riding transit for 7-8 weeks? How about tourist or business people who comes to New York, that DIDN'T plan ahead to "request" a Metrocard? The goal is to encourage Public transportation, not discourage it by not having a place to buy ticket! Easy pay works for you? Good! No need to force it on everyone, who may have different circumstances than you. Imagine going to Boston and "pre request" a auto refill card, how will you feel?

MVMs aren't required to maintain these cards. They're costly to maintain and a 15¢ loss is incurred for every $1 extracted. Having them out of the picture lowers maintenance costs & minimizes sabotage.

These can be refilled over the phone or online. Automated systems and online portal available 24/7

Weeks? It's just a few days (10 at most). There is no replacement fee (usually $1).

The form is two pages long. A twelve year old could fill it out. Reduced fare riders have conversion priority and can use their old card up to a fortnight until the balance runs out.

If your card is stolen your balance is yours. I'm advocating for a system that lets you activate any MetroCard bought from a vendor by pairing it's serial with the matching account.

I'm also looking into dual balances, which is only available to reduced fare customers right now.

Bonuses are applied in reverse, meaning I pay $2.62 a ride.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MVMs aren't required to maintain these cards. They're costly to maintain and a 15¢ loss is incurred for every $1 extracted. Having them out of the picture lowers maintenance costs & minimizes sabotage.

These can be refilled over the phone or online. Automated systems and online portal available 24/7

Weeks? It's just a few days (10 at most). There is no replacement fee (usually $1).

The form is two pages long. A twelve year old could fill it out. Reduced fare riders have conversion priority and can use their old card up to a fortnight until the balance runs out.

If your card is stolen your balance is yours. I'm advocating for a system that lets you activate any MetroCard bought from a vendor by pairing it's serial with the matching account.

I'm also looking into dual balances, which is only available to reduced fare customers right now.

I don't care for it.  I don't like the (MTA) having as much control as they do when it comes to the limited ways that we can purchase Metrocards.  We need something that is more flexible where people can pay using an array of options. I do however agree that the MVM machines need to go.  Getting rid of them alone would mean fewer vagrants hounding people for rides or demanding that they pay them to swipe for them.

I don't care for it. I don't like the (MTA) having as much control as they do when it comes to the limited ways that we can purchase Metrocards. We need something that is more flexible where people can pay using an array of options. I do however agree that the MVM machines need to go. Getting rid of them alone would mean fewer vagrants hounding people for rides or to demanding that they pay them to swipe for them.

Neither do I. They're irresponsible. However you have a better chance winning disputes with EZP than with regular MC. I've won all of mine.

That's the idea.

Billion dollar damage control starts with the most prone equipment.

I've submitted those two ideas to workshops as I feel they'd ease the concerns you have.

Also, UL plan holders can suspend their plan for a PPR fill in if they can't clear the cost of the monthly.

I've done so five times.

Neither do I. They're irresponsible. However you have a better chance winning disputes with EZP than with regular MC. I've won all of mine.

That's the idea.

Billion dollar damage control starts with the most prone equipment.

I've submitted those two ideas to workshops as I feel they'd ease the concerns you have.

Also, UL plan holders can suspend their plan for a PPR fill in if they can't clear the cost of the monthly.

I've done so five times.

Even so I don't do autopay for anything.  Even my rent is paid electronically and they always ask do you want to pay automatically? Nope.  Never have and never will.  I don't trust "the system" and I want to be in control of EVERYTHING.  It isn't even a question of it being linked to my bank card, but even my charge card or credit cards.  Wouldn't want it.  I mean when I would use my Amex for Metrocards, they were always great at taking care of me but still.  I just don't trust the (MTA).  They've had a history of trying to screw over passengers by literally stealing from them and I challenge them every step of the way about my money. I'm not giving them a cent more than what they're supposed to have.  Thieving bastards.  

They already get our money in advance when we buy passes.  Come to think of it, this morning as I was coming in, the ticket collector on Metro-North had the nerve to announce that we should get our monthly passes in advance to beat the crowds. I said to myself, surrreeee.....  <_<

Even so I don't do autopay for anything. Even my rent is paid electronically and they always ask do you want to pay automatically? Nope. Never have and never will. I don't trust "the system" and I want to be in control of EVERYTHING. It isn't even a question of it being linked to my bank card, but even my charge card or credit cards. Wouldn't want it. I mean when I would use my Amex for Metrocards, they were always great at taking care of me but still. I just don't trust the (MTA). They've had a history of trying to screw over passengers by literally stealing from them and I challenge them every step of the way about my money. I'm not giving them a cent more than what they're supposed to have. Thieving bastards.

I'm guessing you've had a bad experience. So have I.

There are people inside who disapprove but they'd be crucified if they squealed.

They feel their voice is all but gone and some do view the union as outdated and unfocused on long term solutions.

Drivers feel inadequate and scapegoated by a system that has also failed them.

The salaries are superb, but there is a high, emotional price for every corner they can't cut.

As a basket case myself, I know trauma when I see it. No one should have a front row seat to some suicide jumpers marriage to the third rail.

NO driver should be sucker punched for driving a bunch of ungrateful punks through a section of town they'd get shot at in.

Still how about tourist? No one likes to Pre apply for a card they may never use before next expiration date? WHY SHOULD Metrocard BE HARDER TO GET FOR VISITORS Coming here. They go down to the station no place to buy a ticket, ok they'll find alternate transportation. In your world everyone will try their best to take trains, that's simply not true out there with uber etc.

There are people inside who disapprove but they'd be crucified if they squealed.

They feel their voice is all but gone and some do view the union as outdated and unfocused on long term solutions.

The salaries are superb, but there is a high, emotional price for every corner they can't cut.

As a basket case myself, I know trauma when I see it. No one should have a front row seat to some suicide jumpers marriage to the third rail.

NO driver should be sucker punched for driving a bunch of ungrateful punks through a section of town they'd get shot at in.

Other than trying to get the support of train operators is this paragraph really relevant to what we are talking about?

Still how about tourist? No one likes to Pre apply for a card they may never use before next expiration date? WHY SHOULD Metrocard BE HARDER TO GET FOR VISITORS Coming here. They go down to the station no place to buy a ticket, ok they'll find alternate transportation. In your world everyone will try their best to take trains, that's simply not true out there with uber etc.

He just refuses to understand it. 

This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I don't care for it.  I don't like the (MTA) having as much control as they do when it comes to the limited ways that we can purchase Metrocards.  We need something that is more flexible where people can pay using an array of options. I do however agree that the MVM machines need to go.  Getting rid of them alone would mean fewer vagrants hounding people for rides or demanding that they pay them to swipe for them.

You were talking about not caring for easy pay metrocards, correct?

If so, then why is this dude co-signing.... Y'know what, nevermind.....

I gotta pull a vintage 2014-15 Cait Sith here...

What the **** are you talking about!???!!

He just refuses to understand it. 

This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Other than trying to get the support of train operators is this paragraph really relevant to what we are talking about?

We're being trolled at this point.

You were talking about not caring for easy pay metrocards, correct?

If so, then why is this dude co-signing.... Y'know what, nevermind.....

I gotta pull a vintage 2014-15 Cait Sith here...

What the **** are you talking about!???!!

We're being trolled at this point.

I just reported myself in an effort to reckon with @mtatransit's concerns.

He makes a valid point.???? Let's continue our discussion in the off topic lounge where it should be. ????

The goal is to encourage carpooling, allowing those with higher car occupants in one of the bus lanes that acts as the passing lane. Since they are spending 400 million might as well change the malls the make it more appeasing, while directing most of the traffic onto Center Main Lanes. I really don't like rush hour Bus Lanes, it really should be 24/7. Instead of two bus lanes one will be HOV 24/7. while the inner one should be 24/7 buses. Under this proposal, parking may be lost but it encourages, HOV carpooling and also improves the buses at the same time. You mention why it's necessary, so limited could pass stopped locals. This way No room will not be a excuse to serious degrade of service to the local. But since parking lanes may not be as big, parking could be relocated next to the mall instead of curbside. The median mall could be smaller, and Left/Right turns could still be allowed with proper signals.

You don't like rush hour bus lanes. But what if they are only needed in rush hours as is the case in Woodhaven. Why slow down traffic without helping bus riders during non-rush hours unless you just want to punish drivers with longer travel times?

I really don't think you need dual bus lanes unless buses are stopped to pick up and discharge passengers. There is no room for left turn lanes on the portion of Woodhaven with service roads except for near Jamaica Avenue where the road widens.

Wouldn't traffic during off peak hour lessen also? Therefore the loss of one lane shouldn't cause much issue. You mention that the bus travels fast, therefore signaling there is no traffic.

plus will this sbs project have transit signal priority coming with implementation?

Wouldn't traffic during off peak hour lessen also? Therefore the loss of one lane shouldn't cause much issue. You mention that the bus travels fast, therefore signaling there is no traffic.

Buses move at the maximium 30 mph which is the same speed cars move at during the non-rush with four lanes available to all vehicles. If a lane is cut, buses will still move at the same speed, but since cars only have three lanes, not four, and the lanes are separated by a mall, top speed would decline to 20 mph for cars. If the speed limit is lowered to 25 mph which is very possible, buses will travel slower. Giving buses priority will not cause them to travel any faster than they travel now and cars and trucks will travel slower, so what is gained after all this? Nothing.

Only agree with you about the last point about the Q52 being a stunt.

off Board fare payment. if it saves so much time, why on the M86 did the MTA tell the community buses only saved an average of two minutes river to river. When further questioned about savings in the rush hour only, the MTA refused to respond. If a few intersections on Woodhaven have extra long loading times, the MTA could do what was done in the 1950's and 60's. Station an attendant on the sidewalk during the rush hour at the rear door to accept payment allowing entrance through the rear door. It would cut dwell times in half and cost must less.

patronage decline Yes generally it is on a decline. SBS was supposed to stop that but in most cases, that hasn't happened. The M15 has a lot of problems which caused the massive passenger decline not totally attributable to SBS, such as Second Avenue Subway Construction and chronic congestion near the 59 Street Bridge. But those problems were known before the project start but that corridor was chosen anyway.

Rockaway Local bus stops No one is considering the time lost walking further to an SBS bus stop which is especially inconvenient lugging beach gear. The line at B116 St on a summer weekend extends for half the block. With elimination of adjacent stops, the line will stretch around the block. So you first have to lug your beach gear to the front of the stop to get your receipt, then walk around the block to get to the end of the line and then retrace your steps again. How convenient is that? Have you seen the summer crowds until 8 PM at B96 and 98 Streets. It's like over 50 people. The Beach 96 Street sidewalk is narrow and can't hold that many people. It is just unsafe. As far as them taking the subway instead, if that was easier, then why aren't they doing that now?

Just to address the offboard payment, pretty sure that's because almost all stops on the route are busy with people getting on and off. While Woodhaven Blvd is a major corridor, I don't think the dwell times would be as bad, except for the subway stops, which REALLY need them.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Just to address the offboard payment, pretty sure that's because almost all stops on the route are busy with people getting on and off. While Woodhaven Blvd is a major corridor, I don't think the dwell times would be as bad, except for the subway stops, which REALLY need them.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Don't understand your point. If on the crosstown routes so many people are getting on and off, shouldn't off board fare payment save more time than it does on the M86?

Don't understand your point. If on the crosstown routes so many people are getting on and off, shouldn't off board fare payment save more time than it does on the M86?

Sorry, I really didn't say that right. Yes, I mean SBS off-board payment would be more effective here than on the M86.

Archived