Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE:

STATION ENHANCEMENTS
Until Wednesday, Nov 28
145 St (3) Station is temporarily closed

(3) trains skip 145 St in both directions. 

Travel Alternatives
Please use nearby stations at 148 St , 135 St   or 145 St    .

Consider the M7 or M102 buses along Lenox Av, or the Bx19 along 145 St and transfer to/from the subway with MetroCard.

If you need an additional bus transfer, ask the driver for a MetroCard Bus Transfer which can be used for your next local bus ride within two hours. ~ On your return trip, see the station agent at the above locations for a transfer to the bus.

1 hour ago, Derrick Tan said:

I checked every source on 145th Street station and only Wikipedia has a confirmed reopening date.

Apparently, 145th Street is to reopen this Wednesday, the 28th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/145th_Street_(IRT_Lenox_Avenue_Line)

Where do you think that information was from?

On 11/29/2018 at 9:31 PM, Eric B said:

Yes; I didn't even know about it until my second trip, when I was two stations away, and  heard it on the radio!

For those of you who haven't seen, the reopened 23rd St is filled with dog murals. 

aWU9wEi.jpg

The reopened 145 street station is certainly better than what it used to be, though I question the (MTA) not fixing (or painting over) certain parts of the ceilings above where the train passes through (same with the CPW stations). It looks ugly where it's crumbled and I presume it'll get worse with time.

20 hours ago, RR503 said:

For those of you who haven't seen, the reopened 23rd St is filled with dog murals. 

aWU9wEi.jpg

Forget the dog mural. I'm more disturbed that there's already alot of rust on the tiles and the floors especially when the station just reopened Thursday. 

The same thing with the 86th Street Station along Central Park West. That also has alot of rust on both the tiles and floors and it looks like it's already going to fall apart. 

Edited by Daniel The Cool

7 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Forget the dog mural. I'm disturbed that there's already alot of rust on the tiles and the floors especially when the station just reopened Thursday.

Yeah no structural work whatsoever was done. I don’t even think the ceiling was painted... This one was the definition of putting lipstick on a pig (dog?). 

25 minutes ago, RR503 said:

This one was the definition of putting lipstick on a pig (dog?). 

If that was there goal, then they failed miserably. The cosmetic ESI work on this station looks desperate at best. Certain stations that have ESI (4th Av. stations) can get away with little tile or floor work as intended. But I’d like to see the (MTA) at least go a bit further in fixing them for some stops like these.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

47 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm just trying to understand why they went away from the comprehensive approach of the 4th Avenue stations. Those actually look like they had 6 months of work done to them.

I can safely say it comes down to two big things:

1. Those were the first stations to get the ESI treatment, that was before the allocated money basically ran out. 

2.The stations weren't in bad condition to begin with, most of the tile work and floors weren't rotting whatsoever (the worse I'd call it is gloomy). The general design of them are pretty good for what ESI is supposed to do and that's why it worked well.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

6 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I can safely say it comes down to two big things:

1. Those were the first stations to get the ESI treatment, that was before the allocated money basically ran out. 

2.The stations weren't in bad condition to begin with, most of the tile work and floors weren't rotting whatsoever (the worse I'd call it is gloomy). The general design of them are pretty good for what ESI is supposed to do and that's why it worked well.

I go by who had the contract for those stations. What were the name of the contractors who had stations renovated?

7 hours ago, AJ of JGD said:

I go by who had the contract for those stations. What were the name of the contractors who had stations renovated?

Packages 1 (53rd St, Bay Ridge Av, Prospect Av) and 8 (145th St, 174th-175th Sts, 167th St) are by Citnalta-Forte

Package 2 (163rd St, 110th St, 72nd St, 86th St) is by ECCO III

And Package 3 (57th St, 23rd St, 28th St) is by Judlau

13 minutes ago, Derrick Tan said:

Packages 1 (53rd St, Bay Ridge Av, Prospect Av) and 8 (145th St, 174th-175th Sts, 167th St) are by Citnalta-Forte

Package 2 (163rd St, 110th St, 72nd St, 86th St) is by ECCO III

And Package 3 (57th St, 23rd St, 28th St) is by Judlau

Well...

That explains why a 5-car station on an IRT line and 3 stations in Brooklyn ,that really didn't need the renovation considering it wasn't falling apart, came out better than Central Park West.*

*It's not that I don't like how CPW came out, it's just the 4th Avenue stations and 145th Street came out better in my opinion.