Enhanced Station Initiative

On 9/25/2017 at 10:43 PM, Daniel The Cool said:

He was asking Above ground stations not underground ones.

Brighton Beach and I believe the (J) Train stations north of Crescent Street (Excluding Stuphin Blvd and Jamaica Center) and wasn't renovated pre 1998 yet.

121 St and 104 St are being renovated...

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, RR503 said:

Speaking of, why is that project taking so long?

It always takes long when East NY is involved. The MTA has a stubborn history of ignoring maintenance and aesthetics in blighted neighborhoods, which exacerbates and potentially endangers personnel and pax anyways.

4 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

It always takes long when East NY is involved. The MTA has a stubborn history of ignoring maintenance and aesthetics in blighted neighborhoods, which exacerbates and potentially endangers personnel and pax anyways.

Those two stations are nowhere near East New York...

And thank you @Union Tpke for the update on Package 3. Looks like the closures will begin in March 2018 with station one and end with station four in June 2018, with stations reopening September to December 2018.

3 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

And thank you @Union Tpke for the update on Package 3. Looks like the closures will begin in March 2018 with station one and end with station four in June 2018, with stations reopening September to December 2018.

I heard it's supposed to start in the Fall of next year actually.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:28 PM, Around the Horn said:

You're right, i was too general. However, there are a handful of areas in the vicinity of those el's that are neglected, odorous, and depraved of economic activity.

kinda like an urban wasteland.

Moving right along...

NYC Transit’s Enhanced Station Initiative Expands to Astoria Line Stations

30 Av, 36 Av N And W Stations to Undergo Major Renovations, Station Improvements; Two Stations Will be Temporarily Closed beginning October 23rd as Major Renovations Commence

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) announced today that New York City Transit's Enhanced Station Initiative will expand to the 30th Av and 36th Av stations with work beginning on Monday, October 23rd. The Enhanced Station Initiative (ESI) improves the reliability, capacity and customer experience inside the subway system. These two stations will be temporarily closed during the project in order to complete the repairs and enhancements as quickly as possible.

The top-to-bottom renovations include structural repairs, rehabilitated entrances, improvements and repairs to mezzanines and platforms, waterproofing, paint and refurbishments of existing railings and stairs. The station enhancements planned for the stations also include:

• Improved signage for easier navigation, including digital, real-time train arrival information at subway entrances; • Glass and wire mesh platform windscreens to protect riders from the elements;

• At 30 Av, a new staircase for exiting from the Astoria-bound platform to the street-level intersection of 30th Avenue and Newtown Avenue;

• New security cameras and railings for improved safety;

• New glass barriers and LED lighting throughout for increased light and transparency; and

• New artwork, and durable granite flooring in the station mezzanine.

During these temporary station closures, customers are encouraged to use nearby stations or the Q102 bus route, which runs parallel to the Astoria Line between 39 Av and 30 Av and provides transfers to Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza . During the closures, MTA NYC Transit will increase weekday rush hour and weekend service on the Q102 to accommodate additional customers.

During the closures in both directions of the 30 Av and 36 Av stations, customers can travel to Broadway, Astoria Blvd or 39 Av for service or to Steinway St or 36 St for service. Customers can also take the Q18 to Northern Blvd ; Q100 and Q69 to 21 St-Queensbridge , Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza ; or Q66, which connects to the subway lines along its route.

“The Enhanced Station Initiative embraces new techniques and innovations that simplify the work and shorten construction time while bringing real improvements to the transit experience,” said MTA Managing Director Ronnie Hakim. “We’ve received great feedback from the customers who use the redesigned ESI station in Brooklyn at 53 St, and we look forward to opening more of these modernized subway stations and bringing more amenities to more stations across our system.”

The first of the 33 ESI stations, 53 St on the line in Brooklyn, opened earlier in 2017 with top-to-bottom renovations and modern customer amenities.

The MTA is using design-build contracts for work at all ESI stations, giving private construction firms with best-in-class techniques and expertise the opportunity to complete the projects without multiple firms competing for access to the work space or overlapping schedules. A single team is responsible for both the design and construction to ensure seamless coordination. The contractor also assumes the risk for cost overruns and maintains time schedules.

The MTA Board awarded the $150 million contract to Skanska with AECOM in April 2017 for work at four Astoria Line stations. The 30th Av and 36th Av stations are scheduled to be completed in Spring 2018. The Broadway and 39 Av stations will then close for renovations later in 2018. These four stations originally opened for service in July 1917.

While the Astoria stations will be closed in both directions to speed the construction timeline, work at these elevated stations will be limited by aboveground construction regulations such as shorter work hours, partial street closures, and confined work zones. The renovations will also require 14 weekend bypasses per track during which trains will operate express in one direction between 39 Av and 30 Av. Customers will be advised to back ride to their destinations during these weekend bypasses, which will be announced ahead of time.

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/nyc-transit’s-enhanced-station-initiative-expands-astoria-line-stations

Edited by Around the Horn

30 minutes ago, Lance said:

Here are some shots from the reopened Bay Ridge Av station, all courtesy of the MTA.

image.thumb.png.77f3d636e7b72e78f7b18e864081d5cf.png

image.png.aa835f18a7670376dc2273fd756f6c56.png

image.png.4d4ab4f3a91221eac7a27850668bb3e8.png

That Emergency Exit sign is so low that you could probably hop right over it. lol I had to look at that picture a few times before it sunk in as the gates are usually MUCH taller. Keeping the white tiles up was fine, but at least re-grout them. Some of them clearly were not touched and it shows.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That Emergency Exit sign is so low that you could probably hop right over it. lol I had to look at that picture a few times before it sunk in as the gates are usually MUCH taller.

And then you wonder why you lose money MTA. 

No, I mean Emperor Cuomo. I can see many more fare evasions because of this BS. Best believe if every station gets this, Welcome to NY City signs will look like this soon:welcome-to-new-york-you-are-under-arrest

7 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

And then you wonder why you lose money MTA. 

No, I mean Emperor Cuomo. I can see many more fare evasions because of this BS. Best believe if every station gets this, Welcome to NY City signs will look like this soon:welcome-to-new-york-you-are-under-arrest

lol Sad but true. The Emergency gate isn't much taller than the turnstiles. Believe it or not I've seen vagrants slide right through the turnstiles at the new Fulton Street station. I sat and watched. He just slowly moved the turnstile and slid right past, all while there was a token booth clerk person nearby. Apparently they weren't watching.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

29 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That Emergency Exit sign is so low that you could probably hop right over it. lol I had to look at that picture a few times before it sunk in as the gates are usually MUCH taller. Keeping the white tiles up was fine, but at least re-grout them. Some of them clearly were not touched and it shows.

16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol Sad but true. The Emergency gate isn't much taller than the turnstiles. Believe it or not I've seen vagrants slide right through the turnstiles at the new Fulton Street station. I sat and watched. He just slowly moved the turnstile and slid right past, all while there was a token booth clerk person nearby. Apparently they weren't watching.

It's practically the same thing at 53 Street.

image.png.a1e916223a40617553228ffddcbd73e0.png

Courtesy: MTA NYC Transit

If I'm not mistaken, all of the ESI stations will feature these half-height emergency gates/fare partitions. The idea is that they'll make the stations feel less enclosed and caged in compared to their previous design. It remains to be determined if they'll stick around though.