Systemwide CBTC - Planning and Implementation

Union Tpke

9 minutes ago, Reptile said:

What I'm wondering is if there's any plans to install CBTC on the (1)(2)(3) lines, since them along with the (Q) will be the last lines without CBTC after Culver/8th/6th/Lexington/Astoria which are all planned to get CBTC.

When you mention the (Q), do you mean SAS? Because you're also forgetting Broadway, Nassau St, and CPW lines as well for Manhattan lines. 

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

When you mention the (Q), do you mean SAS? Because you're also forgetting Broadway, Nassau St, and CPW lines as well for Manhattan lines. 

I thought they removed Broadway from the confirmed plans, checked again and it is in the plans - carry on

On 7/22/2023 at 12:13 PM, Lawrence St said:

So it's just like Metro-Norths signal system, except it uses the transponders rather then code in the rails?

Nope. Metro north has track transponders ONLY to power automatic PA/ETA arrivals, plus it uses GPS/odometer inputs for dead reconing from last transponder, LIRR/MNRR transpoders are cosmetic features, its not life critical, and not used as anti collision. NYCT does not use code in the trails. It uses wireless codes sent over the AIR. LIRR/MNRR life critical is only codes in the rail, no wireless, no train stops. NYCT CBTC is implemented as allowing a cbtc enabled train to ENTER (go through) a red legacy ATS/ABS signal (legacy track circuits), and allow 2 or more CBTC trains, in the same (much longer post CBTC) legacy signal block. If the signal block reaches 0 CBTC trains (unoccupied), the signal block reverts to 1904 mode automatically.

1 hour ago, bulk88 said:

4 Ave near 95 street and 86 street has CBTC. It ends at 86 street and doesn't go any further north.

It does???? That's news to me. I haven't heard anything about that since ever so I'm going to take that with a whole containers worth of salt until then.

16 hours ago, bulk88 said:

4 Ave near 95 street and 86 street has CBTC. It ends at 86 street and doesn't go any further north.

No that has nothing to do with CBTC that's a sensor they use for ITRAC for train movement they are all over the B Div.

If  it was a CBTC  set up there would be transponders on the roadbed.

21 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

No that has nothing to do with CBTC that's a sensor they use for ITRAC for train movement they are all over the B Div.

The station has transponders on the track bed.

Brooklyn  CBTC Update

They have bagged some of the Signals On B1 track from Church to Ditmas put two new ones in service.

They will do the same thing from Ditmas to Church on B2 track this weekend.

The Following weekend they will do B3/4 track in the same area.

Church ave Shutdown GOs will be stopping soon(if they will be finished with CBTC work from Ditmas to STL not sure yet).

CBTC should be Online from Ave P to STL on  all tracks by Sept im hearing.

Edited by RTOMan

Clarification.

the CBTC transponders are often installed in areas where CBTC itself is not available but CBTC equipped trains run.

The south end of the 4th avenue line does not have active CBTC.

I know we like to keep some details of how this system works to ourselves, but I will say there are different modes for CBTC and the mode down there is “doing this the old fashioned way with the signals.”

big clue… no flashing green signals at 95th street.

11 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Clarification.

the CBTC transponders are often installed in areas where CBTC itself is not available but CBTC equipped trains run.

The south end of the 4th avenue line does not have active CBTC.

I know we like to keep some details of how this system works to ourselves, but I will say there are different modes for CBTC and the mode down there is “doing this the old fashioned way with the signals.”

big clue… no flashing green signals at 95th street.

Ah so in other words he was wrong..

No wonder he hasn't said another thing..

Some of these Buffs should just stick to BVE...

On 7/31/2023 at 7:59 AM, RTOMan said:

Then that's is what you should have circled! I see them too.. Stand corrected. (Keeps rumored 4th ave CBTC project to ones self)

Non CBTC stations have had transponders for a decade plus, for automatic announcements/odometer calibration. Not sure if CBTC and automatic announcement transponders are visually identical or not. I think the legacy NTT transponders get replaced during CBTC on QBL and 8 ave with a different housing.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:12 AM, RTOMan said:

Its the same antenna (and same protocol I bet) used for CBTC. Its probably used for attaching driver IDs to train fleet nums to train IDs (runs) for Bluetooth Beacon system. CBTC would require wiring in the signals/relay cabinets/interlockings on 4th ave, which I can't tell if that was ever done. With the old style of Itrac a dispatcher would log in the train ID and train fleet number into a desktop after getting the info by radio from the T/O. Often the dispatchers were lazy, or wanted to do some "statistics" optimization, and created "ghost trains" on the countdown clocks, and trains would arrive at origin+1 or origin+2 with no countdown clock info. itrac or MTA policy also allows writing the departure time, on paper by a dispatcher, and hours/days later entering it into itrac, with the original real origin departure time unknown. Post Byford/post Covid, I see trains leaving origin 1-2 mins early, never late. Pre Byford, ghost trains on count down clocks (counts down, nothing comes), or untracked trains were common. Don't see that in 2023 anymore. 

6 hours ago, bulk88 said:

Its the same antenna (and same protocol I bet) used for CBTC. Its probably used for attaching driver IDs to train fleet nums to train IDs (runs) for Bluetooth Beacon system. CBTC would require wiring in the signals/relay cabinets/interlockings on 4th ave, which I can't tell if that was ever done. With the old style of Itrac a dispatcher would log in the train ID and train fleet number into a desktop after getting the info by radio from the T/O. Often the dispatchers were lazy, or wanted to do some "statistics" optimization, and created "ghost trains" on the countdown clocks, and trains would arrive at origin+1 or origin+2 with no countdown clock info. itrac or MTA policy also allows writing the departure time, on paper by a dispatcher, and hours/days later entering it into itrac, with the original real origin departure time unknown. Post Byford/post Covid, I see trains leaving origin 1-2 mins early, never late. Pre Byford, ghost trains on count down clocks (counts down, nothing comes), or untracked trains were common. Don't see that in 2023 anymore. 

In other words No more Paper Railroad...

• 3 weeks later...

Majority of Signals Removed from Ave X to West 8th Street this past weekend..

They running AWS Testing from Ave U to Ave X area this week so (F)ox trains Bypass Ave U SB From today till 2200 hrs on Friday.

CBTC "scheduled" to go online from the Highway to STL sometime this month...

Edited by RTOMan

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

Majority of Signals Removed from Ave X to West 8th Street this past weekend..

They running AWS Testing from Ave U to Ave X area this week so (F)ox trains Bypass Ave U SB From today till 2200 hrs on Friday.

CBTC "scheduled" to go online from the Highway to STL sometime this month...

Guess no more (D)(F) swaps in Brooklyn unless enough signals are left in place to allow a 12-minute headway for rerouted (D) trains until the (D) train fleet is made CBTC compatible. 

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Guess no more (D)(F) swaps in Brooklyn unless enough signals are left in place to allow a 12-minute headway for rerouted (D) trains until the (D) train fleet is made CBTC compatible. 

They actually sent a few Manhattan Bound (D) Trains via Culver earlier this morning due to a 12-9 at Union Street 

They really ought to reconsider that track connection which formerly existed between tracks 6 and 7 south of the Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue station. As soon as 4 Avenue is jammed up or out of commission, the (D) trains on tracks 7 and 8 are practically marooned, and the ones pulling into track 6 from north of the station jam up the already crappy (F) terminal operations.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

They really ought to reconsider that track connection which formerly existed between tracks 6 and 7 south of the Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue station. As soon as 4 Avenue is jammed up or out of commission, the (D) trains on tracks 7 and 8 are practically marooned, and the ones pulling into track 6 from north of the station jam up the already crappy (F) terminal operations.

Never mind 75 footers, would 60 footers even be able to make such a curve?

12 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

(D)elta Bway Laff Specials go up B3/4 track past the Highway so they really aren't in the way.