Systemwide CBTC - Planning and Implementation

Union Tpke

The sense I get (which may be very wrong I have less knowledge on this than many here) is that Queens BLVD CBTC has had a lot of issues due to the more complex and interlined nature of the line. As someone pointed out earlier, it seems a lot of issues have been happening around the Queens Plaza where there's a relatively complex junction. Reguardless of if this is part of the problem, the CBTC rollout on QBLVD has been inexcuseable.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much like how the tracks were worked on, interlining is also not to blame. It’s the zone controllers. The computers that talk to the trains. 

the E, M and F don’t enter CBTC territory at QBP, only the R does. 

the E and M pick it up in Manhattan and the F at Queensbridge.

The zone controllers issue the trains their movement authority. Without it, in CBTC mode, the train won’t move. 

CBTC on the Corridor runs from Kew Gardens to Queensbridge and 50th street. 

R’s enter and exit CBTC as they travel the 11th street cut. 

the east end install has only just started.

Operationally, trains are all running in “Automated Train Protection Manual” mode, meaning the TO is still driving, but what they do is regulated by the computer.

this also means on my end, that the computers sense if the train is properly birthed in the station and enables me to open the doors.

20 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

What is the status of CBTC on QB? How much (%) is finished local and express tracks? Also east of Kew Gardens..?

They running GOs now for the wiring and bracket placement east of Kew...

Give it a few years.. they still got switch work to do at 179 and Biarwood...

• 3 weeks later...

Would CBTC allow seamless (G) extensions to Queens Plaza and/or Continental? At least when the (M) isn’t running in Queens (ie. Late nite/weekends)? An extension on weekends would help with access to Downtown BK, Williamsburg, LIC, Queens Center Mall, and Forest Hills .

It’s always going to be far, far more complicated than that as to why the G gets treated the way it does. Like… there are loads of times where it would have been prudent to extend the G back to at least Queens Plaza, but they just don’t do it.

Like when the E is running over the F in both directions and the 53rd tube is closed, if you want a Queens Corridor station from the G, you’re on the 7 ether to Roosevelt or Manhattan.

I mean, an F train I was working had to be sent down the crosstown once due to a 12-9 at Jay street and I’m pretty sure it was also a night when the E was via 63rd street.

• 3 weeks later...

Im curious about something...when I take the (E), I see the signals show green or yellow over green until the train is approaching, and then they switch to flashing green. Is there a reason for that setup, rather than having it just flash green the entire time?

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Im curious about something...when I take the (E), I see the signals show green or yellow over green until the train is approaching, and then they switch to flashing green. Is there a reason for that setup, rather than having it just flash green the entire time?

I think the double stacked signals are those that are on the approach to interlockings and they need to display which configuration they’re set up in before the CBTC flashing green is shown. If I’m not mistaken, green/yellow over GREEN means the train stays in the “straight ahead” alignment but if it’s green/yellow over YELLOW, then the train will “diverge”

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That happens only in interlocking areas where a CBTC train is approaching...

Sometimes a train is in BYPASS and the signals will display a way side signal aspect what you just was in the beginning.

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

That happens only in interlocking areas where a CBTC train is approaching...

Sometimes a train is in BYPASS and the signals will display a way side signal aspect what you just was in the beginning.

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think the double stacked signals are those that are on the approach to interlockings and they need to display which configuration they’re set up in before the CBTC flashing green is shown. If I’m not mistaken, green/yellow over GREEN means the train stays in the “straight ahead” alignment but if it’s green/yellow over YELLOW, then the train will “diverge”

Thank you both! Very interesting 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 9:35 AM, Q65A said:

How is CBTC taught to train operators? Is it done during the induction process for all new T/Os? Do they have CBTC info in the induction manual or is it covered by separate manual(s)?

Thanks!

CBTC is taught to new TOs....

Yes there is a manual which one gets when in training about a week of it.

7 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

What is the status of QBL CBTC? Is all four tracks from 50th St to Kew Gardens complete?  How long will east of Kew Gardens to Jamaica take?

Other than OCC taking control of the 21st street Queens Plaza area giving out line ups at times(No comment).. Same as before...

As for East Of Kew?

Get back to this post around 2026..

Maybe...

12 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Other than OCC taking control of the 21st street Queens Plaza area giving out line ups at times(No comment).. Same as before...

As for East Of Kew?

Get back to this post around 2026..

Maybe...

Does "same as before" mean its 100% West of Kew Gardens? Sorry I haven't been keeping up on here..

Edited by ABOGbrooklyn