Systemwide CBTC - Planning and Implementation

Union Tpke

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Does CBTC decide which southbound (E)(F) gets the lineup at 75th Ave ( when the E is running full express)? 

Trains are localized at Kew southbound and Technically whatever train is first there gets the line up into CTL...

Yet Once in a While if there is No Echo at Kew CTL will "line up" a Fox at 75th ave..

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Because they are running around the R layups. These trains normally would be parked on the east end of the line, but that is the section they are installing CBTC on right now.

Why do (R) s need to be layed up if Jamaica Yard is available?

33 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Why do (R) s need to be layed up if Jamaica Yard is available?

JYD doesn't have enough storage space for those trains. Case in point, during whiteout winter storms when outside service is suspended, they park as many trains as possible on the express tracks. Also, it would be a PITA to get them all out for the morning rush from the yard. 

6 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

JYD doesn't have enough storage space for those trains. Case in point, during whiteout winter storms when outside service is suspended, they park as many trains as possible on the express tracks. Also, it would be a PITA to get them all out for the morning rush from the yard. 

So.. basically there was no difference from when the (R) went to Astoria..?

Should have never moved the (R) from Astoria..

5 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

That was a decision made by people who don't work down here anymore..

Also now with CBTC R160 ten car units need to stay in Jamaica Yard...

Edited by RTOMan

• 3 weeks later...

Is there an updated list of which lines/section of lines that are currently CBTC compatible? I'm not talking about the trains themselves, but the line. I know that currently 7 and L lines are currently fully cbtc (the train and the line and it runs in CBTC auto), and I also know that

"We're in the final stages of rolling out CBTC along Queens Blvd and are in the process of implementing it between Kew Gardens-Union Tpke and Jamaica-179 St."

other then that, are there no cbtc ready lines other then the work they are doing? aka f train in brooklyn, 8th ave and qbvld?

5 hours ago, habbyy said:

Is there an updated list of which lines/section of lines that are currently CBTC compatible? I'm not talking about the trains themselves, but the line. I know that currently 7 and L lines are currently fully cbtc (the train and the line and it runs in CBTC auto), and I also know that

"We're in the final stages of rolling out CBTC along Queens Blvd and are in the process of implementing it between Kew Gardens-Union Tpke and Jamaica-179 St."

other then that, are there no cbtc ready lines other then the work they are doing? aka f train in brooklyn, 8th ave and qbvld?

I made this chart showing CBTC Progression by Track Mileage earlier this year, hope it has the answer you find: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rJ6Pm3XYACHCyMT-WdW8PSEiLuGckFw4rCb_xNtySqo/edit

But Right Now as you said, CBTC is compatible in the following sections:

(L) Canarsie - 8th Avenue - ROCK PARK

(7) Flushing - 34th/11th - Main Street

(E)(F)(M)(R) Queens Blvd - 50th/8th; 47-50th/Rockefeller Center; 21st-QB to Union Turnpike 

On 6/7/2023 at 12:03 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

Im curious about something...when I take the (E), I see the signals show green or yellow over green until the train is approaching, and then they switch to flashing green. Is there a reason for that setup, rather than having it just flash green the entire time?

If enough distance between trains gathers, CBTC automatically turns off and reverts to bypass/legacy automatic block signals. For MOW trains, etc.  But the track circuits are super long for CBTC. Often its interlocking to interlocking.

On 7/19/2023 at 10:50 AM, RTOMan said:

Another interesting thing..

Now once the train enters 21st  NB and Punches the Homesignal displays a CBTC aspect, as well as all the other signals on T2 track leading up to X544 homesignal just south of 36th street..

Noticed this on Tuesday coming home from work... Does CBTC still enforce the old one and two shot GTs on the curves right before the interlocking? Wasnt easy to determine because the home signal was at stop anyway for a crossing (E)

19 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Noticed this on Tuesday coming home from work... Does CBTC still enforce the old one and two shot GTs on the curves right before the interlocking? Wasnt easy to determine because the home signal was at stop anyway for a crossing (E)

Everything is displaying a CBTC aspect up to the Homesignal...

On 7/19/2023 at 1:12 PM, bulk88 said:

If enough distance between trains gathers, CBTC automatically turns off and reverts to bypass/legacy automatic block signals. For MOW trains, etc.  But the track circuits are super long for CBTC. Often its interlocking to interlocking.

Non reporting trains are now a headache for us Corridor Folks....

On 7/19/2023 at 1:12 PM, bulk88 said:

So it's just like Metro-Norths signal system, except it uses the transponders rather then code in the rails?

On 6/28/2023 at 2:42 AM, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Well actually I’m not 100% sure if those overnight (R) layups end up running on the (R) for the next rush hour. Maybe they end up running on the (E)(F) since they’re technically supposed to be the trains that normally laid up between Kew Gardens Unión Turnpike and Parsons Blvd, and would make sense for those trains to just go to 179 St or Jamaica Center and come back as the (E) or (F), since I’m assuming the same crews pick up those trains for the start of the morning rush, and that most of the (R)s would come from the Coney Island Yard layup or from Jamaica Yard itself, inserting themselves into service at 71 Av immediately. Can someone please comment on this to see if the logic is correct.

Edited by darkstar8983

56 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Well actually I’m not 100% sure if those overnight (R) layups end up running on the (R) for the next rush hour. Maybe they end up running on the (E)(F) since they’re technically supposed to be the trains that normally laid up between Kew Gardens Unión Turnpike and Parsons Blvd, and would make sense for those trains to just go to 179 St or Jamaica Center and come back as the (E) or (F), since I’m assuming the same crews pick up those trains for the start of the morning rush, and that most of the (R)s would come from the Coney Island Yard layup or from Jamaica Yard itself, inserting themselves into service at 71 Av immediately. Can someone please comment on this to see if the logic is correct.

I believe any Romeo Laid Up south of CTL or at CTL   on 4 track is a Romeo they just relay for service at CTL...

Edited by RTOMan

3 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Why is this thread labeled as Systemwide CBTC when CBTC is not even planned to cover the whole subway system?

As opposed to separate threads about CBTC for every segment of track

5 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Why is this thread labeled as Systemwide CBTC when CBTC is not even planned to cover the whole subway system?

It is eventually planned I think, they're doing 8th and 6th then Lexington and Broadway then 7th. After that all the other lines will get it

4 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

You must be on something if you think CBTC isn't planned to cover the whole system. We already have plans for a lot of lines to have it implemented in the next 10 years or so, 8 Av is already acquiring it along with 6 Av and Crosstown set to receive and I think Fulton is also next apparently, but don't quote me on that. Lexington shouldn't be that far behind along with Astoria.

The only reason other lines like say 4 Av in Brooklyn or WPR in the Bronx or even Brooklyn-Broadway since these two lines already are fully NTT's are not getting CBTC is because they aren't the priority and implementation takes a while. We already seen how long it took for QBL to receive especially with the f**k up of Culver CBTC taking even longer to complete and 8 Av CBTC isn't even finished either. These things are going to take years to even decades to finish.