Systemwide CBTC - Planning and Implementation

Union Tpke

20 hours ago, CenSin said:

Being the furthest track from the curve, would that not increase the curve radius, making it more easy to navigate?

It would if the platform ended farther from the street. If you tried to build that turn you’d probably have to make supports in the middle of Surf Avenue, while the turn itself would be like the one between Fort Hamilton Parkway and 9th Avenue, just a lot tighter

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JustTheSIR said:

It would if the platform ended farther from the street. If you tried to build that turn you’d probably have to make supports in the middle of Surf Avenue, while the turn itself would be like the one between Fort Hamilton Parkway and 9th Avenue, just a lot tighter

Ah right. The platforms were not always as long as they are now.

• 1 month later...

QBL west substantial completion has been delayed until end of 2024 per the Oct 2023 capital program committee materials. Primarily due to software upgrades and change orders with both Siemens and Thales.

Excerpt below:

Siemens has asserted claims in the amount of $23,881,943 and for additional time associated with those claims. C&D has 
analyzed Siemens’ claims and, while many are subject to defenses, a number of the claims arise from Extra Work directed 
by MTA or delays attributable to MTA. For example, and among other issues, MTA made approximately forty changes to 
its CBTC Interoperability Interface Standard that required Siemens to perform additional changes to its software and CBTC 
database. In addition, MTA directed Siemens to provide spare parts beyond what was required in the Contract.

Although Substantial Completion has not yet been achieved, most of the Contract 
Work has been performed and MTA has taken Beneficial Use of the CBTC system and the Automatic Train Supervision 
system (“ATS”), which are both in-service. 

5 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

QBL west substantial completion has been delayed until end of 2024 per the Oct 2023 capital program committee materials. Primarily due to software upgrades and change orders with both Siemens and Thales.

Excerpt below:

Siemens has asserted claims in the amount of $23,881,943 and for additional time associated with those claims. C&D has 
analyzed Siemens’ claims and, while many are subject to defenses, a number of the claims arise from Extra Work directed 
by MTA or delays attributable to MTA. For example, and among other issues, MTA made approximately forty changes to 
its CBTC Interoperability Interface Standard that required Siemens to perform additional changes to its software and CBTC 
database. In addition, MTA directed Siemens to provide spare parts beyond what was required in the Contract.

Although Substantial Completion has not yet been achieved, most of the Contract 
Work has been performed and MTA has taken Beneficial Use of the CBTC system and the Automatic Train Supervision 
system (“ATS”), which are both in-service. 

Dont get me started on the CBTC Culver section looks like i wont see it at all...

• 1 month later...

Given that the implementation of CBTC has recently begun on the Crosstown (G) Line beween Court Square and Church Avenue, I'd figure that I share my CBTC Progression chart once more! The timeline is a little bit incomplete but otherwise good.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rJ6Pm3XYACHCyMT-WdW8PSEiLuGckFw4rCb_xNtySqo/edit?usp=sharing

• 1 month later...

So apparently there’s an upcoming G.O. starting this weekend and lasting the Month until March 2nd-4th that (E) Trains will not run on the Archer Line between UT and Parsons/Archer because of “Signal Modernization” work.

As far as I understand, the Term “Signal Modernization” is only used when talking about the Implementation of CBTC, but AFAIK, the Archer Avenue Branch was postponed from QB CBTC so could it just be that these next few weekends could just lay the foundations for implementation later down the road?

16 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

So apparently there’s an upcoming G.O. starting this weekend and lasting the Month until March 2nd-4th that (E) Trains will not run on the Archer Line between UT and Parsons/Archer because of “Signal Modernization” work.

As far as I understand, the Term “Signal Modernization” is only used when talking about the Implementation of CBTC, but AFAIK, the Archer Avenue Branch was postponed from QB CBTC so could it just be that these next few weekends could just lay the foundations for implementation later down the road?

There's Going to be a New Master tower at 179street  Which will take out Parsons Archer and Hillside Towers..

So that's the work that's going on.

CBTC Queens Blvd "East" Work....

More Queens Blvd East Work...

Switch Replacement at Briarwood NB (E) train make Local Stops from CTL to Jamaica Van Wyck Mon to Fri, 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM, until Feb 16..

NB (F) Makes Express stops from Union Tpk to Parsons Hillside Feb 5 - 9 and Feb 12 - 16, Mon 5:00 AM to Fri 11:45 PM..

Oh and Add the Slow Speed Order from Briarwood to Jamaica Van Wyck as well due to chopped up roadbed...

• 2 weeks later...

I think it’s time we discuss the negative aspects of CBTC when it comes to planned work and emergency reroutes.

There has been an issue on Astoria or the 60th St tubes probably 10 times in the last month, and because the (N) and (Q) use SMEE equipment and aren’t compatible with QBL CBTC, this causes such unnecessary congestion with trains backing up because they can’t even relay them at Queens Plaza or send them to Forest Hills.

This is going to be another major issue once 8th Av CBTC is online, for the same reason.

37 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I think it’s time we discuss the negative aspects of CBTC when it comes to planned work and emergency reroutes.

There has been an issue on Astoria or the 60th St tubes probably 10 times in the last month, and because the (N) and (Q) use SMEE equipment and aren’t compatible with QBL CBTC, this causes such unnecessary congestion with trains backing up because they can’t even relay them at Queens Plaza or send them to Forest Hills.

This is going to be another major issue once 8th Av CBTC is online, for the same reason.

This is the reason why the entire fleet of SMEE cars needs to be replaced outright, just ordering extra R211s to finish off the R68s too, or quickly approve the R268 order. We’re going to end up in a situation where if there is any issue along tracks that Broadway line trains use, it’s gonna cause a clusterf**k because those trains won’t be able to be compatible with any other trunk line, and terminating those trains outside Manhattan will screw up 8 Av and 6 Av services

Here’s the thing, the non-CBTC trains could enter the QBL and turn at the plaza or even be sent the Forest Hills or 179… the issue is E and F service is too frequent now, at the rush hours a train every two minutes or less. We already have a rough go when the R drops out at the plaza at night.

On 2/18/2024 at 11:51 AM, Kamen Rider said:

Here’s the thing, the non-CBTC trains could enter the QBL and turn at the plaza or even be sent the Forest Hills or 179… the issue is E and F service is too frequent now, at the rush hours a train every two minutes or less. We already have a rough go when the R drops out at the plaza at night.

I DO NOT miss dealing with that (R)omeo drop out nonsense and i wont be part of that again..

Ever..

Oh i totally forgot about this i guess  now that im switching i dont pay attention that much to Road stuff..

CBTC in effect on this dates along the Culver...

From Kings Highway to West 8th Street all tracks..

Effective 2200 hours on Friday, March I, 2024 - 2359 hours on Sunday March 3, 2024.

Effective 2200 hours on Friday. March 8, 2024 - 2359 hours on Sunday March I 0, 2024.

Effective 2200 hours on Friday, March 15, 2024 - 2359 hours on Sunday March 17, 2024.

So some of yall can go outside and see those flashing greens...

IF its in effect though maybe someone can verify....

58 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Oh i totally forgot about this i guess  now that im switching i dont pay attention that much to Road stuff..

CBTC in effect on this dates along the Culver...

From Kings Highway to West 8th Street all tracks..

Effective 2200 hours on Friday, March I, 2024 - 2359 hours on Sunday March 3, 2024.

Effective 2200 hours on Friday. March 8, 2024 - 2359 hours on Sunday March I 0, 2024.

Effective 2200 hours on Friday, March 15, 2024 - 2359 hours on Sunday March 17, 2024.

So some of yall can go outside and see those flashing greens...

IF its in effect though maybe someone can verify....

What are you switching to?

45 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What are you switching to?

I think he means he’s a yard switcher, basically moves trains around the yard but I could be wrong. I don’t know if they refer to the crews that bring trains to layup and back out in revenue as switchers too.

14 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I think he means he’s a yard switcher, basically moves trains around the yard but I could be wrong. I don’t know if they refer to the crews that bring trains to layup and back out in revenue as switchers too.

You are correct.... Yet im in the terminal...