Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
67thAve

Paper timetables - gone for good?

Recommended Posts

Over the past few months, the timetable racks seem emptier than they even were before on the buses. Whatever timetables there are still available do not seem more recent than fall 2017.

The MTA didn't officially announce anything, so I'm assuming that they just quietly killed them off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me that half or a slight majority of buses don't have them, but I have been pretty lucky to get about 10 unique timetables within the last couple of months. A couple of those are Winter 2018 schedules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think of this: With the wave of technology there isn't a need for paper timetables unless you are commuting on the railroads. This is why we have cellphones, wi-fi and etc. However, for the average person that doesn't want to deal with cellphones, I can understand the paper timetable.  The only way I see fit for paper timetables is if buses are on an extended detour for months or years at a time.  Most of the time (MTA) NYCTA and bus timetables aren't accurate due to traffic conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are still useful and important for express buses. I prefer using the paper versions to the online versions, to be honest. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen some on the Q37 and the Q46, and a friend of mine got new Q52/53 SBS timetables. They are still out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's less of them around because people can just pull them up on their phones... but I still see a few sometimes. They're definitely still being printed, I got a spring 2018 timetable for the B4 the other day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ones on the buses are still around; every bus obv. doesn't have them, but there are random ones posted on more buses than you might think (at least, more than I thought... lol)..... Updated ones at that.

What seems like they're gone for good, are the smaller, individual, (per) zone schedules for each branch (for example, I used to have this one in paper form - showing only the arrival times for Mineola, Merillon, and NHP) at Atlantic Terminal, Jamaica, and Penn.... They were much more convenient than the larger timetable that shows all the arrival times of all trains of all/whichever stations along the Port Jeff. branch.....

Speaking of paper timetables..... Has anyone ever seen/obtained one for any individual subway line? I can honestly say that I have never had a tangible one for the subway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have old ones, but I have not bothered to check or ask for them for the last couple of years or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Speaking of paper timetables..... Has anyone ever seen/obtained one for any individual subway line? I can honestly say that I have never had a tangible one for the subway.

At least when I lived in Forest Hills, I would request one from the booth and the person would give me one. But that was 8+ years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The ones on the buses are still around; every bus obv. doesn't have them, but there are random ones posted on more buses than you might think (at least, more than I thought... lol)..... Updated ones at that.

What seems like they're gone for good, are the smaller, individual, (per) zone schedules for each branch (for example, I used to have this one in paper form - showing only the arrival times for Mineola, Merillon, and NHP) at Atlantic Terminal, Jamaica, and Penn.... They were much more convenient than the larger timetable that shows all the arrival times of all trains of all/whichever stations along the Port Jeff. branch.....

Speaking of paper timetables..... Has anyone ever seen/obtained one for any individual subway line? I can honestly say that I have never had a tangible one for the subway.

Only saw them online

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ride the LaGuardia routes. They often have schedules. Yukon and Castleton are decent with schedules, but even so I think there is a rack at Eltingville anyway. I don't know about Charleston, Ulmer Park, West Farms, Kingsbridge, East New York, Baisley, Flatbush and Gun Hil but most depots ade frankly hit or miss to bad. Stengel used to stuff their Orions with timetables but that has changed. I very rarely see Hale, college point, Manhattanville, Jackie Gleason (then again, I don't ride their routes much...) and Eastchester (local) buses with timetables. I think Eastchester only prints Q50 timetables once a new edition is issued, many snatch them up quickly, then you have to wait a while till the next edition comes out... Quill, Spring Creek, and JFK seem to stock them every now and then. Tusk has been stocking them much more frequently as of late. Jamaica and queens Village are pretty good about putting timetables out.

Anyway, over the past 10 years paper schedules have been falling out of fashion. they're costly (all that ink and paper), people riding local routes with half-decent frequency probably don't care about them, and it's not like the buses are on time with the schedules anyway.

They're only useful for infrequent or the more suburban local routes and express routes where you have to plan your trips around the bus instead of just showing up at the stop and expecting something to show up soon.

Edited by Orion6025

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just a sign of the times....airlines have long ago ceased printing timetables.  Amtrak no longer prints a 'system timetable'.  Even Greyhound stopped printing them.

People just use their smartphones.  It's more up to date, saves trees, litter, and costs....

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 6:13 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

They are still useful and important for express buses. I prefer using the paper versions to the online versions, to be honest. 

And why is that? I stopped using paper timetables years ago. I have all of my express bus timetables on my phone and I just update them as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Ride the LaGuardia routes. They often have schedules. Yukon and Castleton are decent with schedules, but even so I think there is a rack at Eltingville anyway. I don't know about Charleston, Ulmer Park, West Farms, Kingsbridge, East New York, Baisley, Flatbush and Gun Hil but most depots ade frankly hit or miss to bad. Stengel used to stuff their Orions with timetables but that has changed. I very rarely see Hale, college point, Manhattanville, Jackie Gleason (then again, I don't ride their routes much...) and Eastchester (local) buses with timetables. I think Eastchester only prints Q50 timetables once a new edition is issued, many snatch them up quickly, then you have to wait a while till the next edition comes out... Quill, Spring Creek, and JFK seem to stock them every now and then. Tusk has been stocking them much more frequently as of late. Jamaica and queens Village are pretty good about putting timetables out.

Anyway, over the past 10 years paper schedules have been falling out of fashion. they're costly (all that ink and paper), people riding local routes with half-decent frequency probably don't care about them, and it's not like the buses are on time with the schedules anyway.

They're only useful for infrequent or the more suburban local routes and express routes where you have to plan your trips around the bus instead of just showing up at the stop and expecting something to show up soon.

St George ferry also has timetables for almost every route on SI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And why is that? I stopped using paper timetables years ago. I have all of my express bus timetables on my phone and I just update them as needed.

For the QM1/5/6/31/35/36, since there are soo many variants, I find it easiest to spread the paper timetable out to see all the options at once. On my phone, I have to scroll down multiple pages and it is more difficult

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so happy this thread happened because I collect the paper bus schedules the only routes I need to complete my collection is the Bx33, B39, B14, B84, Q24 & Q56 but they are so hard to find on the bus 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ssanchez97 said:

I’m so happy this thread happened because I collect the paper bus schedules the only routes I need to complete my collection is the Bx33, B39, B14, B84, Q24 & Q56 but they are so hard to find on the bus 

I'd imagine you can send in a request to the MTA to mail you official copies 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'd imagine you can send in a request to the MTA to mail you official copies 

 I’m not sure if they do that but I’ll double check thanks :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Eh, I feel like its always more fun to collect that stuff.

Yes I agree just because they are so rare to find that makes the challenge more fun 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back when tokens were a thing, I used to have a paper xfer collection (the old blue/orange ones & the current ones that are similar in size to a metrocard)....

Bus schedules I used to collect also, but I wasn't near as avid or diligent about them....

The xfers I eventually threw away.... Some schedules I still have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'd imagine you can send in a request to the MTA to mail you official copies 

They used to do that but I'm not sure if they still mail out timetables anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 10:32 AM, Orion6025 said:

They used to do that but I'm not sure if they still mail out timetables anymore...

Can I ask you a question do you know where else I could find the remaining routes if the buses won’t have any ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ssanchez97 said:

Can I ask you a question do you know where else I could find the remaining routes if the buses won’t have any ?

Try sending the mta a letter asking for timetables maybe. I got a b39 back in 08 by doing that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.