Sim23/24 coming to MTA?

trife86

59 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

.....I guess you also missed the part where I mentioned the 50 express bus order too?

Actually I didn't miss that part sir.

All I simply said on my last post was that if  (MTA) would need to get the buses. Get them from Queens (College Point) to start off. Eventually the 50 express bus order will come in and that will complete the takeover of the SIM23/24.  I do agree with you in regards to everything you mentioned about Academy taking care of both lines plus ample fleet to cover the lines.

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Actually I didn't miss that part sir.

All I simply said on my last post was that if  (MTA) would need to get the buses. Get them from Queens (College Point) to start off. Eventually the 50 express bus order will come in and that will complete the takeover of the SIM23/24.  I do agree with you in regards to everything you mentioned about Academy taking care of both lines plus ample fleet to cover the lines.

That makes no sense, especially when there are MCIs that will soon be retired....

4 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

That makes no sense, especially when there are MCIs that will soon be retired....

I appreciate the constructive criticism and point well taken. I didn't even take the retirements of the previous MCI series into consideration.

Took a good look at the roster and saw after the '08 MCI order, TA took 5 years off from ordering from MCI until 2013.

Right now, no buses to spare on the TA part.

SIM23/SIM24 bus drivers pick up their bus at Perth Amboy, then go to Staten Island to do their run. Aft Madison Av/59th St, they deadhead back to Staten Island to do another run until end of SIm23/24. Then in noon, SIM23/SIM24 drivers parked at their Hoboken garage and wait for afternnon, and they layover mainly on 58th St between 7th Av or 6th Av, then after they do SIM23/24 back to Staten Island, they head back to 5th Av/59th St until end of shift, then go back to Perth Amboy depot.

NICE shots.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:30 AM, FLX9304 said:

There’s no need for extra buses or figuring out what depots the SIM23/24 need to be based out of but one: CHARLESTON Depot. 

You don’t need all that jibba jabba just for those two. If Academy can handle this, then the NYCTA can do it as well. 

Yeah as pointed out Charleston dosen't have space for both routes. There would need to be a split.

2 hours ago, Vtrain said:

Well, Castleton Depot does have enough room to add a few express bus routes there if the SIM23 & SIM24 were taken over by the MTA, this is how it should be done:

-SIM30 returns to Castleton.

-SIM31 goes to Meredith.

-SIM23 & SIM24 goes to Charleston.

Just no! SIM31 is nowhere near Meredith. 

On 8/25/2018 at 5:36 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

If I was a regular SIm23/24 rider, Id be ry pissed that my bus was never on Bustime, and I am guessing the Academy buses also dont have USB ports, even through it costs the same as other express buses. 

They do. 

2 hours ago, Vtrain said:

Well, Castleton Depot does have enough room to add a few express bus routes there if the SIM23 & SIM24 were taken over by the MTA, this is how it should be done:

-SIM30 returns to Castleton.

-SIM31 goes to Meredith.

-SIM23 & SIM24 goes to Charleston.

But Castleton needs more express buses before they add any more express routes. (Look at all the Meredith trippers on those routes, especially the SIM35) In fact, Castleton lost express buses due to SIM changes (Used to have 47 now has 43). So a new Castleton express route isn't happening anytime soon.

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Good, that is a positive. Still, to me, Bustime is the most critical thing for buses to have, so I'd be really pissed about that. 

I have an app that has the SIM23/24 on bustime location, called Buses NYC. See if that helps. 

On 8/21/2018 at 5:36 PM, Interested Rider said:

It took 20 years for Charleston depot to be built and operating and soon after they had to add Meredith as the fleet continues to expand as more and more riders are taking the express buses. There is no room at any of the garages for the SIM 23 & 24 so let Academy keep running the service.

This December will mark the 50th anniversary of the first MTA Manhattan - Staten Island Express route, the 9X. At that time there was a Domenico bus service that ran via  Hylan Boulevard and Clove Road, New Jersey into Manhattan and the one trip 8X from Jay Street Brooklyn via the Verrazzano- Narrow Bridge. #8922 - 8933 New looks of the 8800 -8933 series were assigned to the route which ran from New Dorp to Manhattan  and neither the city nor the MTA anticipated the explosive growth on the island after the Verrazano - Narrows Bridge was opened in November 1964 .The 9X soon needed additional buses as the number of riders grew and grew so that buses that were part of the same series for local service were soon converted to express service   What I observed over the years was how Staten Island politics thwarted many of the moves that the MTA tried to make to catch up so Staten Island was been way behind in getting the depots built, so buses were (and are)  being stored here, there and everywhere . One must keep in mind that Castleton was a joke from the beginning having been built over Bodine Creek and the flooding occurred every time there a heavy rain. How many times did bus service had to be cut as the buses were get filled up and then would go around the block  and stall out. It took 50 years to fix the problem.

The thing is when there was only Castleton and Yukon there was never any room, and they had more buses then than the likely ever will. Now there are 4 depots. None of them technically have room, but any of then could take routes on and park buses outside like the old days. 

On 8/27/2018 at 1:13 AM, FLX9304 said:

I have an app that has the SIM23/24 on bustime location, called Buses NYC. See if that helps. 

Note To Everyone Else: Bus NYC is only available for iOS, and it's a paid app.

The MTA is prepared to operate the SIM23 and SIM24, but the state refuses to give them some of the money that it is paying Academy to do it. So, as long as that money exists, Academy will be doing the runs. My understanding is that the current contract is month-to-month.

A logical transition time would be just after a fare increase. They would be able to budget for the new service at that time and claim it as an improvement.

4 hours ago, JAzumah said:

The MTA is prepared to operate the SIM23 and SIM24, but the state refuses to give them some of the money that it is paying Academy to do it. So, as long as that money exists, Academy will be doing the runs. My understanding is that the current contract is month-to-month.

A logical transition time would be just after a fare increase. They would be able to budget for the new service at that time and claim it as an improvement.

Negative, not enough busses ATM, but you are correct with academy being on a month to month contract.

The number of buses you need is an "artificial number" based on loading guidelines. In my opinion, the MTA needs to fill the buses up and reduce the express bus fare. It is too high for lots of normal middle-class people. The loading guideline needs to be 50 passengers per bus or every 30 minutes (excluding the first and last buses of the day) with a fare reduction to $6.00. Then, you would have plenty of buses to operate the 23 and 24.

7 minutes ago, JAzumah said:

The number of buses you need is an "artificial number" based on loading guidelines. In my opinion, the MTA needs to fill the buses up and reduce the express bus fare. It is too high for lots of normal middle-class people. The loading guideline needs to be 50 passengers per bus or every 30 minutes (excluding the first and last buses of the day) with a fare reduction to $6.00. Then, you would have plenty of buses to operate the 23 and 24.

Good luck with that.  It'll be going up next year as well.  I am looking to get an express bus advocacy group formed in the coming months for all express bus riders.  I don't expect us to be able to change the (MTA) overnight, but I believe that we need to have people speaking for us on things like fare increases, service and service cuts.  This will be a start in the right direction.  

2 hours ago, JAzumah said:

Your a funny man.

Archived