Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Looking through again at the sbs plan for 14th street it seems like they might bring back the M14c and have the M14a and d be the locals. 

Yes, but the route would simply be called the M14 SBS. Remember, the M14 SBS is for the L train shutdown since there will be no train service in Manhattan. M14 SBS will operate to the 20th Street ferry terminal.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Link?

DQ9bQTbXkAAsTgN.jpg:large

The old M14c ran down avenue c to houston street but the new 14th street sbs would have it go up avenue c. When I was reading the plans it was said the route wouldn't be converted from the current M14 bus so I was wondering what could this sbs bus service be because on the various sbs study presentation it said M14. So when I was looking up the M14 bus history there was a M14c bus but was cut. So if they aren't converting the M14 A&D into sbs then what is it then it struck me that they're bringing back the M14c. Based off of this image it looks like it. have the M14 A&D become the locals and have the M14c be the sbs. 

On 3/19/2018 at 11:28 AM, Brillant93 said:

The old M14c ran down avenue c to houston street but the new 14th street sbs would have it go up avenue c. When I was reading the plans it was said the route wouldn't be converted from the current M14 bus so I was wondering what could this sbs bus service be because on the various sbs study presentation it said M14. So when I was looking up the M14 bus history there was a M14c bus but was cut. So if they aren't converting the M14 A&D into sbs then what is it then it struck me that they're bringing back the M14c. Based off of this image it looks like it. have the M14 A&D become the locals and have the M14c be the sbs. 

Why not put SBS on the M14A and D? Those routes, especially the D, get plenty crowded and would do well with off-board fare payment. It seems silly to just have one M14 SBS service, considering that crosstown SBS routes rarely skip stops anyway, and will likely be a prime cause of confusion for people who don't know whether to buy a ticket or not. It shouldn't be just (L) riders getting improved buses; this is an opportunity to improve travel for all on the 14th Street buses, which are very busy with or without the (L) train, and which will continue being busy after the shutdown is over an there's no need for the bus to the ferry.

50 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Maybe an S53 SBS? That Route is Crowded.

I'm not an expert on bus conditions in Staten Island, but the S53 seems like a decent candidate for SBS. Frequent and popular services on a relatively straight route (like the 53) tend to be the best choices for bus improvement, and are often the routes where improvements are most needed.

1 hour ago, officiallyliam said:

Why not put SBS on the M14A and D? Those routes, especially the D, get plenty crowded and would do well with off-board fare payment. It seems silly to just have one M14 SBS service, considering that crosstown SBS routes rarely skip stops anyway, and will likely be a prime cause of confusion for people who don't know whether to buy a ticket or not. It shouldn't be just (L) riders getting improved buses; this is an opportunity to improve travel for all on the 14th Street buses, which are very busy with or without the (L) train, and which will continue being busy after the shutdown is over an there's no need for the bus to the ferry.

I believe they will keep the SbS but on what line is the question. Seems like this sbs will connect to the ferry for the time being . So only time will tell. 

On 2/26/2018 at 2:37 PM, BrooklynBus said:

The B46 going to Riis Park on summer weekends is perfectly justified. If someone is already on the subway toward Coney Island, there is no reason to get off and switch to the B2 or B9 to get to Riis Park, so I would not extend those routes there for that purpose. 

Now this I would have to disagree with. Extending the 46 to Riis would create 2 problems over the one we already have. Like the Q35, the B46 reliability would be decreased severely. The route is way too long of u add in an extension to Riis. As the years go pass the traffic gets worse and worse. On peak beach days it can take up to 90 minutes to get to the beach from the Junction and an hour from Kings Plaza. The traffic would make that a bad idea. They still haven't addressed the major failure of the Q35 summer after summer and throwing another bus in the mix wouldn't help anything. It would just jack up the whole Utica Avenue line.

5 hours ago, officiallyliam said:

I'm not an expert on bus conditions in Staten Island, but the S53 seems like a decent candidate for SBS. Frequent and popular services on a relatively straight route (like the 53) tend to be the best choices for bus improvement, and are often the routes where improvements are most needed.

They are implementing SBS on the M14 in general as of right now. 14th Street will also close to non MTA and emergency traffic as well. The final design and terminals Could change a bit. During overnight hours the M14SBS will continue to Brooklyn as of right now. Leaving the other branches as a local could be a good thing. The routes will already speed up because they won't have to compete with cars. 

Edited by East New York

22 minutes ago, East New York said:

Now this I would have to disagree with. Extending the 46 to Riis would create 2 problems over the one we already have. Like the Q35, the B46 reliability would be decreased severely. The route is way too long of u add in an extension to Riis. As the years go pass the traffic gets worse and worse. On peak beach days it can take up to 90 minutes to get to the beach from the Junction and an hour from Kings Plaza. The traffic would make that a bad idea. They still haven't addressed the major failure of the Q35 summer after summer and throwing another bus in the mix wouldn't help anything. It would just jack up the whole Utica Avenue line.

O m g.... please that would be terrible.... like ENY mention, that line is soooooo long. I did it for the fall pick and regretted it simple fact the local goes from Kings Plaza to Williamsburg Washington Plaza. Durning the weekdays especially during rush hour, traffic was so stupid bad that 90% of the time my last trip They would send me not in service to my relieve point...

7 hours ago, officiallyliam said:

The S53 is definitely not "relatively straight" especially in the Grasmere/South Beach area. It could use a limited that takes the S93 route between Victory and Bay Ridge (but rus north to Port Richmond instead of CSI) but the thing is, similar to the S79, the ridership is too spread out for POP to make a difference and most of the roads it travels on are either too narrow for bus lanes or have too high a ratio of car passengers:bus passengers to result in overall time savings for all users (though one small thing I suggested is giving Clove northbound between Narrows Road North & Howard Avenue a bus lane, so buses can share the lane with cars making right turns)

11 hours ago, East New York said:

You don't mention why it takes 90 minutes from the beach to the Junction. DOT eliminated a traffic lane south of the Belt Parkway. This lane could get returned as a general purpose lane or converted to a bus lane. 

Edited by BrooklynBus

11 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

O m g.... please that would be terrible.... like ENY mention, that line is soooooo long. I did it for the fall pick and regretted it simple fact the local goes from Kings Plaza to Williamsburg Washington Plaza. Durning the weekdays especially during rush hour, traffic was so stupid bad that 90% of the time my last trip They would send me not in service to my relieve point...

So I guess the SBS and exclusive lanes are not working. 

1 minute ago, BrooklynBus said:

So I guess the SBS and exclusive lanes are not working. 

On Utica Avenue.. The answer is NO.. Not even a delayed green light signal hasn't been installed on the avenue.

11 hours ago, East New York said:

I have to agree with ENY on this one. No need to extend the B46 to Riis Beach. Unless there are plans to have a shuttle bus between Kings Plaza and Riis Beach than the answer is no extension. I read somewhere that in the 70's or early 80's the B46 went to Riis during the summer months with a federal grant that was given to the (MTA) and the route was cut.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

On Utica Avenue.. The answer is NO.. Not even a delayed green light signal hasn't been installed on the avenue.

I have to agree with ENY on this one. No need to extend the B46 to Riis Beach. Unless there are plans to have a shuttle bus between Kings Plaza and Riis Beach than the answer is no extension. I read somewhere that in the 70's or early 80's the B46 went to Riis during the summer months with a federal grant that was given to the (MTA) and the route was cut.

It was a two year federal grant that extended the B46 and. B9 on summer weekends only from about 1980 to 1982. It could have been a year earlier. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

You don't mention why it takes 90 minutes from the beach to the Junction. DOT eliminated a traffic lane south of the Belt Parkway. This lane could get returned as a general purpose lane or converted to a bus lane. 

How about returning the eminiated lane as an HOV3+ lane? Would that work on Flatbush Avenue?

6 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

I don't see why not. But how often does DOT do what makes sense? 

Like almost never. Polly and her cronies NEVER make sense with these New York City streets.

Thoroughfares that used to be 3 lanes of traffic have now gotten severely reduced and traffic woes will continue.

10 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Like almost never. Polly and her cronies NEVER make sense with these New York City streets.

Thoroughfares that used to be 3 lanes of traffic have now gotten severely reduced and traffic woes will continue.

Polly needs to be replaced ASAP. The NYC DOT should be run by a person who really cares about the city's citizens and make changes that will reduce traffic congestion, NOT cause more congestion. We need someone like new MTA NYC Transit President Andy Byford to run the DOT, i.e: DOT version of Andy Byford.

6 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Polly needs to be replaced ASAP. The NYC DOT should be run by a person who really cares about the city's citizens and make changes that will reduce traffic congestion, NOT cause more congestion. We need someone like new MTA NYC Transit President Andy Byford to run the DOT, i.e: DOT version of Andy Byford.

Listen, We are stuck with her until 2020.. I would prefer Sam Schwartz to be commissioner. Sam makes a lot of sense to how the city streets should be controlled. However, yes we do need another Andy Byford to run the DOT..

Edited by Future ENY OP

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Listen, We are stuck with her until 2020.. I would prefer Sam Schwartz to be commissioner. Sam makes a lot of sense to how the city streets should be controlled. However, yes we do need another Andy Byford to run the DOT..

Do you think Sam Schwartz is the next Andy Byford-type person we need for the City DOT?

Just now, JeremiahC99 said:

Do you think Sam Schwartz is the next Andy Byford-type person we need for the City DOT?

Schwartz has an engineering firm in Downtown Manhattan-SoHo. Also, he was the transportation commissioner during the 80's. (1982-1986) and has a hands on approach on things including congestion pricing.

5 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

I don't think Sam Schwartz is anything like Andy Byford, but I really can't discuss that here. 

Okay, but I wish you ran the MTA or NYC DOT. You seem more qualified than Polly Trottenberg. If you were transportation commissioner, then you can make the SBS work without shoving plans down the community's throat. You can make meaningful changes to the city streets that can actually reduce reduce congestion. SBS can actually be a benefit for everyone if done right.

2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Okay, but I wish you ran the MTA or NYC DOT. You seem more qualified than Polly Trottenberg. If you were transportation commissioner, then you can make the SBS work without shoving plans down the community's throat. You can make meaningful changes to the city streets that can actually reduce reduce congestion. SBS can actually be a benefit for everyone if done right.

Thanks for the confidence you have in me. So far I like Byford, but I will know more in about a month.