Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

1 hour ago, xD4nn said:

From what I heard when Jamaica gets the Q44, Jamaica will be forced to give up the Q17 and some other route.

Most likely the Q17 since it won’t serve Hillside Ave and Jamaica anymore. The Q27 will probably head to CS as well because it’s suppose to take over the northern part of the Q65s route but it no longer will run south of the Horace Harding. A bunch of routes will be shifted around once this redesign happens.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The reason I proposed that local variant between Flushing and the Bronx is to speed up the Q44 SBS and give those coming from Jamaica a quicker ride. The Q44 sees decent Bronx usage from Jamaica and being that this route is proposed to become even longer I don’t think it should serve Whitestone. Instead let another route do that which I’d name the Q94. The Q94 wouldn’t be as frequent as the Q44 but it can provide local service to make up for the loss of the Q44. 

I'm debating as to whether the Q94 specifically is necessary (I agree with speeding up the Q44 by putting it on the Whitestone service road). Riders can either walk or take a short ride on the proposed Q31 or Q76 if they need to reach the Q44.

9 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I feel like CS is going to raise hell if this goes through. Also, this doesn't seem exactly feasible to implement. You're gonna run every bus up there in service to Fordham? that's just clogging the streets. 

Jamaica Depot has plenty of routes down there that need artics but it will need some route restructuring. They're also redoing 165th Street Bus Term to accommodate artics.

JA can't handle articulated buses, and the rebuild is years away.

7 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

This is also unpopular but I believe the Q44 should completely skip serving Union Street and Parsons Blvd with it instead having it jump on the Whitestone Expressway much sooner. 

I would have it run on Linden Place to the Whitestone Expressway, with it possibly having a stop at 20th Ave. Afterwards it would head on the expressway and continue to the Bronx. It is a select bus route and I don’t think it should be taking that detour through Whitestone especially since they are extending it further north in The Bronx.

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I believe the original draft of the Q44 had it doing that.

Yeah, that's what was proposed for that QT44; Linden pl. to the Whitestone Expwy.....

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm not sure if a completely separate route is necessary for the Flushing-Bronx segment. I think it would be better to have buses short-turned as-needed at the Bruckner Interchange  (from Fordham Plaza) to avoid issues at the Whitestone Bridge.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm debating as to whether the Q94 specifically is necessary (I agree with speeding up the Q44 by putting it on the Whitestone service road). Riders can either walk or take a short ride on the proposed Q31 or Q76 if they need to reach the Q44.

I wouldn't bother,... The last thing Flushing needs are more routes terminating in/around the heart of it.... I will say that's one thing the redesign *tried* to remedy, if anything,,,,

Short turning buses at the interchange though? Nah fam.... Very pedestrian unfriendly around there.

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The reason I proposed that local variant between Flushing and the Bronx is to speed up the Q44 SBS and give those coming from Jamaica a quicker ride. The Q44 sees decent Bronx usage from Jamaica and being that this route is proposed to become even longer I don’t think it should serve Whitestone. Instead let another route do that which I’d name the Q94. The Q94 wouldn’t be as frequent as the Q44 but it can provide local service to make up for the loss of the Q44. 

...which would largely benefit intra-Queens patrons.

Folks from The Bronx seeking areas along Union (and Parsons, for the matter) is quite low... I'd go as far as to say insignificant.... Also, the Fordham folks already have the Bx22 to get to/from Parkchester (albeit not the subway station.... but then again, the current Q44 doesn't serve the apt. complexes in Parkchester like the Bx22 does)... What I'm ultimately getting at is, unless those Bronxites from Fordham want Flushing (and even then), potential "Q94" folks at some point are going to try to xfer to Q44's - even more so, since it'd be sped up by avoiding Union st & Parsons Blvd before hitting Flushing....

The Q94 has always been one of those "...sounds nice on paper" type of ideas.

• 1 month later...

Update: Originally planned for release at the end of June, the Queens bus redesign final plan release date is delayed to late summer, no later than labor day. This is due to the input from Queens residents being "invaluable in informing the development of the Proposed Final Plan."

The team will be reaching out to every Queens community board with requests to present in September or October, with the MTA holding a public hearing later in the fall.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Update: Originally planned for release at the end of June, the Queens bus redesign final plan release date is delayed to late summer, no later than labor day. This is due to the input from Queens residents being "invaluable in informing the development of the Proposed Final Plan."

The team will be reaching out to every Queens community board with requests to present in September or October, with the MTA holding a public hearing later in the fall.

Can confirm, though I was told it was an August/September timeline weeks ago. Some of the details I received from the new round of proposals are quite.....interesting to say the least.

Edited by Cait Sith

39 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Can confirm, though I was told it was an August/September timeline weeks ago. Some of the details I received from the new round of proposals are quite.....interesting to say the least.

I'd jokingly say they're going to attempt combining the local Q5 with the Q60, but someone might actually try to do that.

I fully anticipate the Q35 looking only slightly different from the earlier proposals at best.

Speaking of bus service to/from the Rockaways, how much would you wager a certain ex-planner is going to make the rounds complaining yet again that there's no proposed bus to Sheepshead Bay?

18 hours ago, limitednyc said:

An u see them implementing  queens parts of brooklyn  at the same time?

Everything is so interconnected that most of the plan would have to be implemented all at once. Only a few changes that apply to individual routes (without involving other routes or crossing operating authorities) could be implemented piecemeal.

For the depots involved that are represented by TWU 100 (i.e. NYCT Brooklyn and MTA Bus), the changes would require "system picks" in which drivers can change depots. Both contracts designate the winter pick to be the system pick.

If the next draft plan is released in late summer 2023, followed by more public comment and more tweaking and then more comment (and tweaking), then roll-out really couldn't be earlier than Winter 2025 (unless the union agrees to an exception).

12 hours ago, limitednyc said:

I was talking about routes like the b62, q54, q55 which  are brooklyn div but are part of the  queen area.

I'm pretty certain that if the Queens bus lines that are housed by Brooklyn Division yards are in fact changed scheduling wise that those changes would fall in line with the rest of the lines housed by Queens Division (ATU1056) and Queens' Bus Company Depots. as was previously stated, a special system pick would be held (just like what occurred with us in MaBSTOA and the Bronx redesign (seeing as the M125 was added to 100 Street Depot) or implementation would be held off until the actual systemwide system (winter) pick depending on their timeline. they still have to present this "final draft" to all community boards involved and there's certainly no guarantees everyone will be satisfied.

in my personal opinion (even with considering how system and non system picks have been screwed up/protested/stopped/redone over the years in TA Brooklyn and especially in MaBSTOA.. iykyk) the brooklyn and queens redesigns should be implemented simultaneously. i understand that's a huge ask, from management to the union reps and even to the riding public, but considering that there are potentially new Queens lines running into Brooklyn, Brooklyn lines potentially being extended further into Queens, why not just do everything one time instead of going thru this tedious process every couple months (or years depending on how things develop)

On 6/16/2023 at 2:00 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Damn. And I was just itching to see what they would fix, for better or for worse.

And cause in no way in hell is the Q10 gonna make it all the way to Electchester. That's something I'm really not on board with.

On 6/16/2023 at 2:00 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

I was hoping that this Spring they had a public engagement but I guess not.  Thanks for the update.  I also found a letter for that.

Dear Stakeholders:

We’re reaching out today with an update on the next steps in the Queens Bus Network Redesign initiative.

As we have underscored throughout our outreach on the New Draft Plan, our primary goal is to ensure that the Proposed Final Plan presents a network that works for Queens. The input we have received from thousands of Queens residents over the last several months has been invaluable in informing the development of the Proposed Final Plan.

To ensure that our work is capturing all the great feedback we received, we have decided to postpone the publication of the Proposed Final Plan until later this summer. This additional time will ensure the proposed schedules and forthcoming Future-Trip Planner tool will provide our customers with a real assessment of what their trip(s) will look like in the new network.

We look forward to briefing our partners in government, civics, community boards, advocacy, and community groups on the Proposed Final Plan. Our team will be reaching out to every Queens community board with requests to present in September or October. We’ll also be scheduling and promoting a series of MTA outreach events after Labor Day.

All stakeholders will have several months to review and comment on their routes prior to the MTA holding a public hearing later in the fall.

We’ll be in touch again soon, but of course feel free to reach out anytime with any immediate questions to Lucille.Songhai@nyct.com or Daniel.Randell@mtahq.org

Thank you,

Lucille Songhai and Danny Randell

• 3 weeks later...

I want to find a way to directly connect the Bronx to the JFK airport. Originally I got an idea of extending the q44 there I got the idea from Mystic Transit but I realized that it would be hell of a long route thank you to those who helped me realized that it was a bad idea . I want to hear 👂 your ideas of a good Bronx to JFK connection. 

1 hour ago, 40 to 241st said:

I want to find a way to directly connect the Bronx to the JFK airport. Originally I got an idea of extending the q44 there I got the idea from Mystic Transit but I realized that it would be hell of a long route thank you to those who helped me realized that it was a bad idea . I want to hear 👂 your ideas of a good Bronx to JFK connection. 

Bx14 Rush Route to JFK. Have it stop at any one of the terminals and loop it back at Lefferts Blvd. Have it go up to Lefferts Blvd (A), 121 (J), Van Wyck (E), Briarwood (E)(F) then no stop until Flushing-Main St then via Linden Pl (making some local stops) until Whitestone Expressway. Making local stops, along Bruckner Blvd and up Rosedale Av, (connecting to the (6) and the (2)(5)), then turning on Tremont, going up Webster, stopping at Fordham Plaza, then turning to Kingbridge Road (B)(D)(4) and Rush Route to Marble Hill where it terminates.

2 hours ago, Theli11 said:

Bx14 Rush Route to JFK. Have it stop at any one of the terminals and loop it back at Lefferts Blvd. Have it go up to Lefferts Blvd (A), 121 (J), Van Wyck (E), Briarwood (E)(F) then no stop until Flushing-Main St then via Linden Pl (making some local stops) until Whitestone Expressway. Making local stops, along Bruckner Blvd and up Rosedale Av, (connecting to the (6) and the (2)(5)), then turning on Tremont, going up Webster, stopping at Fordham Plaza, then turning to Kingbridge Road (B)(D)(4) and Rush Route to Marble Hill where it terminates.

And we said the Q44 was long enough as it is lmaoooo

5 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

Queens' street grid/layout & this city's highway network doesn't make it feasibly conducive for the MTA to concoct some route panning b/w somewhere in The Bronx & JFK.... Your best bet by far would be some point to point route (and even that would be rather cumbersome).... The problem with that is, it would be virtually wholly reliant on the demand from Bronxites.... The other alternative to that is having such a route hitting some amount of ridership generators in Queens.... The problem with this, is that from The Bronx, you have to go through way too much of Queens to get to JFK - which is the very reason having Q44's run to JFK would be an asinine idea.....

What I want to know is, what amount of demand even exists for this..... The MTA's gonna learn real quick that Bronxites won't be interested in a LGA route that runs from Co-Op City through Flushing..... And here we are, talking about a Bronx - JFK route.....

3 hours ago, Theli11 said:

This is just random for the sake of being random.