Life After Schoolcar...

NASCAR

The R160 feels slow to me. Not like the slant. You can hear that slant from a mile away! Then again I remember someone here saying that the R160 uses a air suspension so it makes the ride feel smoother. lol I don't think I will be able to get into the TA soon enough to operate a slant though :)

Maybe garbage train?

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry for the delay guys,yesterday I was on the Q line beasting!I had mostly 68A's 5000 series trains.That thing has a mind of it's own I swear!I got that train figured out.See the 68A's dynamic breaking is the key.I blew in stations hot and gave it a really good break which slowed it down then gradually released getting it under control by the 8 car mark so I can glide to the 10.My operation has improved and my trainer was pleased.My C/R liked my operation too...I also ran into the TSS that control sicked on me Friday.Looks like the Supt. got this dude running around crazy.He doesn't look relaxed at all..:cool:You gotta be crazy to pick the Q! 3 trips and it pays Nothing!THAT'S BLOOD MONEY!!

Just like the junk on the 3 line. You have to use the dynamics on the Kawasaki R62, so you got to "come in with authority" in the stations you can fly into........

Nascar when you say you blow into the stations HOT, does that mean you dont brake before entering the terminal????? Im just trying to get a feel on this lingo haha.

I was just in NYC this weekend and was at Times Sq station and man the 2 3 trains were coming into the station VERY SLOW. I would guesstimate 10 mph w greens all in front of them. I was just thinking to myself man I know I could stop a train on that 10 marker going that slow into a terminal ( I Think Anyways ) now blowing into a station and braking in the middle of the platform is another story, enlighten me boys on how it works I prob only got 4 more years til im a motorman :)

42nd street has timers from 50st to 42nd st S/B on 2 track (S/B express track), which clears at 14 mph at the last timer. There is none on the 1 line coming into 42nd street, so I always barrel into 42nd street on the 1 line, unless a train is leaving the station. You have to slow down then, due to the fact the wheel detectors come on in the station. N/B the speed is 22mph for 3 track (N/B express), and 16mph for track 4 (N/B local), coming into 42nd street.

Last it is harder to stop a slow train, than a fast train at the marker. Dynamic brakes are a trains friend. Regular friction brakes are not. When you creep, it is hard to stop smoothly, as the train likes to lunge forward, cause you only have regular friction brakes........

The R160 feels slow to me. Not like the slant. You can hear that slant from a mile away! Then again I remember someone here saying that the R160 uses a air suspension so it makes the ride feel smoother. lol I don't think I will be able to get into the TA soon enough to operate a slant though :(
Nah,there's NOTHING slow about them.When you put it in full service and then full power,it takes off!The Smee equipment takes longer to release air and if you take power,the train will jerk.If you put both trains side by side,the 160 would smoke it!It's new technology bro!I still would take the slant tho..;)

Nah,there's NOTHING slow about them.When you put it in full service and then full power,it takes off!The Smee equipment takes longer to release air and if you take power,the train will jerk.If you put both trains side by side,the 160 would smoke it!It's new technology bro!I still would take the slant tho..:D

I asked an RCI (Road Car Inspector, for those who don't know), a few days ago, of why are the SMEE trains (A Div) so slow, compared to the R142/142A. Simple answer was, "they're old". For those who work for TA, well we all know how maintenance is. I asked, because I kept wondering, if the R62/R62A has 40 motors per 10 car train (1 each axle X 4 axles X 10 cars), and the R142/R142A has 28 motors (A car 1 each axle X 4 axles X 4 A cars A cars = 16, B cars 1 on each number 1 axle X 2 axles on number 1 end X 6 B cars = 12), how the heck does the R142/R142A beat a train with 12 more motors. I was told by another T/O that the new trains do have bigger motors, but in my R142/R142A books, the horsepower was the same (150hp per motor). I guess the old dawgs motors are just tired, or need fresh new ones..........

how is it stoping all those cars? is the air brake system similar to a trucks?

They say Bus Operators make the best T/Os as they have a concept of air brakes (good and crappy ones). Trucks is the same thing, so if you can stop that, you can learn to stop a train. I'm talking about SMEE Equipment (separate brake handle and master controller). Wet rails are a different thing, with all equipment. The new trains, they say a child can operate that if taught. I've learned they can have crappy brakes too. When we say crappy brakes, we mean the train stops, it's just the train makes one work more than they would like to to get it to stop. On the SMEE, some take a good dynamic brake at 20lbs, while some need 40+ to get the same braking effort. On the new stuff, some take a good brake in minimum brake, while others, nearly need a full service. Dynamic brakes is what you want to learn to use alot, not pneumatic friction brakes. Creep into a station, you will have mainly pneumatics. Barrel in (when possible), you have dynamics, to a certain sped then friction kicks in to stop the train at about 3-7mph, some say 10mph as a general rule)..........

i guess the dynamic brakes are similar to an "engine brake" or downshifting. I'd like to apply for the t/o test in march so i was just curios about that since i spend most of my time on the road.

It's the same thing as downshifting, engine brake ("aka Jake-Brake"), and retarder. A classmate of mine, was a truck driver. He is now a T/O.........

I'm waitin' on some daily experiences Nascar....need my entertainment fix.B)..in the meantime though I'll provide some of my own. This week posted on "A" and "B"...had some fun on the A...pulling up to Grant at the 10 car marker and saw what looked like a flashlight around the turn...waited for indication and just in case blew the horn...as I take power and start moving I see what the "light" was...a track fire, nice huh, my instructor gets on the radio and starts callin control...nobody answers, I start lookin' for water..(hey, its the last trip, I wanna go home). As (luck?) would have it a TSS was on board and tells us to keep movin...fine with me...On the "B", all I can say is throw those 68A's in the reef right now!!!...had 2 round trips, of course ALL 68A's, raining, GO's everywhere...did I mention rain?.....happy to say still have perfect record...not one door panels out entire schoolcar training...yesterday ALMOST...damn, those brakes have mind of their own...7 miles an hour up to 10 car marker and still fighting those brakes. As my famous motor instructor would say.."hehehe, what can I say":D

I know you said a TSS told you to proceed, but is there a danger of something on the under side of the train igniting? I was on a PATH train a few years ago that did the same thing and have always wondered if something like that could happen. Sounds like a nice day in the world of RTO though.

I'm waitin' on some daily experiences Nascar....need my entertainment fix.B)..in the meantime though I'll provide some of my own. This week posted on "A" and "B"...had some fun on the A...pulling up to Grant at the 10 car marker and saw what looked like a flashlight around the turn...waited for indication and just in case blew the horn...as I take power and start moving I see what the "light" was...a track fire, nice huh, my instructor gets on the radio and starts callin control...nobody answers, I start lookin' for water..(hey, its the last trip, I wanna go home). As (luck?) would have it a TSS was on board and tells us to keep movin...fine with me...On the "B", all I can say is throw those 68A's in the reef right now!!!...had 2 round trips, of course ALL 68A's, raining, GO's everywhere...did I mention rain?.....happy to say still have perfect record...not one door panels out entire schoolcar training...yesterday ALMOST...damn, those brakes have mind of their own...7 miles an hour up to 10 car marker and still fighting those brakes. As my famous motor instructor would say.."hehehe, what can I say":D

That not nothing say around a while! I do agree with the TSS.

• 2 weeks later...

Wassup People?? What's going on? I've been posting ALL over the place and I'm tired!!!lol Sorry guys,I don't have anything to entertain you...Wait!! I met a SUPER BUFF at Coney Island.Long story short,I'm talking to this guy about R68A's and different trains and he started to get REALLY deep!I thought I was talking to the "#1 man" for a minute.:) This guy was really sharp.He started to tell me that people don't really like him and blah,blah,blah..I'm like yeh,really and he begins to follow me to the front of the train where my trainer was.:eek:He was really annoying me now but I chilled out because my trainer knew him.I asked my trainer "who's that annoying RCI?" He looked at me and said "what RCI?" I said "that guy that was talking to me with the blue TA hat." My trainer laughed and said"that guy doesn't work for TA,he's a 16 year old kid who hangs out around terminals and rides up and down the line." Wtf:eek: This SOB had a TA vest,a radio he bought for 300$ and tools.This kid was SHARP bro!He knew the lingo,line-ups,equipment and everything!!!! He told me he want's to be a TSS...lol He took the last C/R exam and is taking the T/O exam in March.He was arrested not to long ago for moving trains that was layed up...:eek: This kid is NUTZ! This could be interesting! I would love to tell you more but I can't..Don't know who's on this site!:P

Well that kid seems to have a few screws loose. How does he plan to apply to be a T/O? You need to have 5 years full time work experience by the end of the application period. Do we have another Darius McCollum on our hands? Kinda of scary that he is like that. Sounds like he shouldn't be let around any trains.

Wow, when you started out I thought you were the T/O who's trainer I was talking to last Wensday a (C) when I came home from college. I sat back while he told me all about the signals and what not. But then you described this guy as a super buff with tools and all, I knew it was not me. I think some people might know who super buff is and that is just crazy.

Well that kid seems to have a few screws loose. How does he plan to apply to be a T/O? You need to have 5 years full time work experience by the end of the application period. Do we have another Darius McCollum on our hands? Kinda of scary that he is like that. Sounds like he shouldn't be let around any trains.
Yes..Darious in the making! It was kinda scary..ha ha! I mean this kid was REALLY into the trains man.He knows his stuff tho,I'm not sure how he would operate if given the chance.I don't think he would have any problems with passing the written tests because he retains info. pretty well.

Wow, when you started out I thought you were the T/O who's trainer I was talking to last Wensday a (C) when I came home from college. I sat back while he told me all about the signals and what not. But then you described this guy as a super buff with tools and all, I knew it was not me. I think some people might know who super buff is and that is just crazy.
There's nothing wrong with asking questions or being interested in operating trains if that's what you wanna do.Now...if yur going around with TA issued uniforms and buying radios acting like an employee then you have a problem.For me,I like to operate trains but I don't LOVE it to the point where I eat,drink, and sleep it..If it's yur hobby or passion that's fine and dandy but there's a line...lol

Yes..Darious in the making! It was kinda scary..ha ha! I mean this kid was REALLY into the trains man.He knows his stuff tho,I'm not sure how he would operate if given the chance.I don't think he would have any problems with passing the written tests because he retains info. pretty well.

Well I love trains as well as I imagine you do and everyone in this forum but there is a limit as to how crazy you should get. I don't think anyone here would act like that. There is a big difference between LOVING and OBSESSING over trains. I think that kid crossed that line a LONG time ago lol

Nascar, you said that super foamer is known by the crews down at CI? How has he not been removed by PD and had his TA property reclaimed. Its a shame when some take this hobbie or interest too far, from what I have heard over the years is that TA workers hate foamers and have a disslike for some railfans.

Wassup People?? What's going on? I've been posting ALL over the place and I'm tired!!!lol Sorry guys,I don't have anything to entertain you...Wait!! I met a SUPER BUFF at Coney Island.Long story short,I'm talking to this guy about R68A's and different trains and he started to get REALLY deep!I thought I was talking to the "#1 man" for a minute.:) This guy was really sharp.He started to tell me that people don't really like him and blah,blah,blah..I'm like yeh,really and he begins to follow me to the front of the train where my trainer was.:eek:He was really annoying me now but I chilled out because my trainer knew him.I asked my trainer "who's that annoying RCI?" He looked at me and said "what RCI?" I said "that guy that was talking to me with the blue TA hat." My trainer laughed and said"that guy doesn't work for TA,he's a 16 year old kid who hangs out around terminals and rides up and down the line." Wtf:eek: This SOB had a TA vest,a radio he bought for 300$ and tools.This kid was SHARP bro!He knew the lingo,line-ups,equipment and everything!!!! He told me he want's to be a TSS...lol He took the last C/R exam and is taking the T/O exam in March.He was arrested not to long ago for moving trains that was layed up...:eek: This kid is NUTZ! This could be interesting! I would love to tell you more but I can't..Don't know who's on this site!:P

Wow that's just said if the person you met was one of the "three musketeers" from over on Subchat. I've seen them around, I am not friends with them nor have I ever talked to them, but let's be real here... I might like to work down here someday, so I am not going to do anything stupid to jeopardize that... But the fact is if this person wants to work for transit and they have that knowledge, probably some of which a lot of rail fans/buffs might also have and have gotten legally by talking to people in the know, why go and throw that all away by illegally moving trains around? and if someone was good enough to them to give them tools, why go around carrying them on the property? if nothing else the "memorabilia" may get confiscated, it can get them into all sorts of trouble, and if you're following the rules there's no reason a rail fan would ever need tools anyway...what do they expect? this?

rail fan: "hey T/O can I ride your train?"

T/O: "sure...but no cab ride...just sit here"

rail fan: "OK"

T/O: "crap...forgot my reverser"

rail fan: "here borrow mine"

yeah, don't think so.

Archived