Rutgers Tunnel Shutdown

Union Tpke

I just noticed that the webpage is now up: https://new.mta.info/projects/rutgers

The project will begin with three weeks of work in September. There will be service changes on theandlines every night and all weekend during those three weeks, with additional weeks planned in October and November. Beginning in early 2021, there will be four months of continuous work that will require similar service changes.

Benefits for you

Our work to fix the Rutgers tunnel and its infrastructure will help make transit more reliable, resilient and accessible, for years to come. The improvements we're making range from protections against future extreme weather events to ADA and circulation enhancements to the East Broadway station. 
Better service reliability 

• New tracks, ties and third rail
  • New fiber optic cable and signaling equipment

Long-term resiliency 

• Rehabilitated pump room to increase pumping capacity
  • New cable racking system to relocate cables above flood levels
  • Rehabilitated fan plant to improve ventilation

Better accessibility

• New accessibility features at East Broadway station include:
  • Raised platform boarding areas 
  • Tactile platform edge warning strips
  • Widened staircase from mezzanine to platform for improved circulation 

Project Schedule and Impacts to E and F Service
While we’re doing this work, we’ll need access to the tunnel and its track. That means we can't run train service through the tunnel while we're working. On nights and weekends for three weeks beginning September 14 and one week each in October and November, and on nights and weekends for four months in early 2021, there will be no train service At the East Broadway or York St stations. To provide as much subway service as possible, we’ll reroute E and F trains in Queens, Manhattan, and Brooklyn,
We'll reroute E and F trains nights and weekends during:

• Weeks of September 14, 21, and 28
  • One week in mid October
  • One week in mid-to-late November

Then, in early 2021 service changes will be in effect for four months. 
How E and F service will operate while we work

• E trains will be rerouted on the A/C line between Jay St-MetroTech in Brooklyn and W 4 Street in Manhattan
  • F trains will be rerouted on the E line between W 4 Street and 36 Street in Queens
  • E trains will be rerouted on the F line between 36 Street in Queens and Delancey St-Essex St in Manhattan, the first/last stop for all E trains in Manhattan. This change allows us to maintain subway service at 2 Av and Delancey St-Essex St.

While we work, the East Broadway and York St stations will be closed to customers. The World Trade Center E station will also be closed during work hours. We'll provide free shuttle bus service at East Broadway and York St so that you can get to a nearby subway station. The Chambers St A/C station and Cortlandt St N/R station will also serve as alternative points of entry into the system.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Then, in early 2021 service changes will be in effect for four months. 
How E and F service will operate while we work

• E trains will be rerouted on the A/C line between Jay St-MetroTech in Brooklyn and W 4 Street in Manhattan

Heh...interesting.

So the (E) essentially turns into a short-turn (F) (Its running between 179 and Essex)...seems a little extra.

Edited by NBTA

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

E trains will be rerouted on the A/C line between Jay St-MetroTech in Brooklyn and W 4 Street in Manhattan

I think this might've been a typo on (MTA)'s part because it sounds like they were referring to the (F)

48 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Yeah I don' t understand what NYCT is aiming at here; you would think they could just leave the (E) as-is, beef up (A)/(C) service, split the (F) into two sections and simply call it a day.

I thought the same thing, but then stopped to think about whether or not they'd have work trains laid up at York Street throughout the duriation of the Project. 

57 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I think this might've been a typo on (MTA)'s part because it sounds like they were referring to the (F).

Okay, this would make much more sense because it wouldn't make sense to just send the (E) towards Brooklyn because it never does or very, very rarely ever does. It's basically just an 8th Av (F) train, depending on where they actually want to send the if this wasn't a typo.

18 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Yeah I don' t understand what NYCT is aiming at here; you would think they could just leave the (E) as-is, beef up (A)/(C) service, split the (F) into two sections and simply call it a day.

turning the (E) at Delancey lower and keeping the (F) as a continuous service incurs no additional costs because run times are mostly the same, give or take 5 minutes.

If the (C) ends earlier (wouldn't shock me) to make room for those evening (F) trains, it might end up being a cost savings operationally.

16 hours ago, Vulturious said:

It's basically just an 8th Av (F) train

Between this and the Archer Av project, the (E) will basically be an (F) variant for the next 6 months.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

turning the (E) at Delancey lower and keeping the (F) as a continuous service incurs no additional costs because run times are mostly the same, give or take 5 minutes.

If the (C) ends earlier (wouldn't shock me) to make room for those evening (F) trains, it might end up being a cost savings operationally.

I still don't see the point of them sending the (E) down Sixth Avenue, whether it's at 53rd or West 4th.  If the only point on the (F) being shut down is the Rutgers Tube, they can have F trains from Queens terminate at Second Ave station, use Delancey to East Broadway as a work train staging area, and have another service (I'm guessing (V)?) run from York to Stillwell.  If need be, they can beef up the (B)/(D) across Manhattan Bridge and the (A)/(C) through Cranberry Tubes.  Maybe also the (brownM) for people coming in from Delancey. 

Why the E would be involved in any of this is beyond me.

Edited by R10 2952

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

I still don't see the point of them sending the (E) down Sixth Avenue, whether it's at 53rd or West 4th.  If the only point on the (F) being shut down is the Rutgers Tube, they can have F trains from Queens terminate at Second Ave station, use Delancey to East Broadway as a work train staging area, and have another service (I'm guessing (V)?) run from York to Stillwell.  If need be, they can beef up the (B)/(D) across Manhattan Bridge and the (A)/(C) through Cranberry Tubes.  Maybe also the (brownM) for people coming in from Delancey. 

Well, this is the (MTA) we are talking about as they make moves that just doesn't seem to be necessary or shouldn't happen period. It's not the (MTA) without them making some questionable or straight up dumb move.

2 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Thinking on it a day later, probably to avoid both doing another pick and causing delays in Cranberry Tubes.

(E) to Delancey St is roughly the same runtime as (E) from Jamaica to WTC. (F) via 8th Av doesn’t add much time to running via 6th Av.

It’s the sending (E) down Culver that sends me. Doesn’t seem necessary - given that it and (F) switching at West 4th or Jay St will overload the Tubes. And then dealing with (G) - that’s a whole mess.

Only thing I can think of is if they’re testing to see if there’s a market for direct Queens-8th Av-Culver service in the event COVID cuts may include eliminating (F) and bringing (V) back or running more (M).

17 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Thinking on it a day later, probably to avoid both doing another pick and causing delays in Cranberry Tubes.

(E) to Delancey St is roughly the same runtime as (E) from Jamaica to WTC. (F) via 8th Av doesn’t add much time to running via 6th Av.

It’s the sending (E) down Culver that sends me. Doesn’t seem necessary - given that it and (F) switching at West 4th or Jay St will overload the Tubes. And then dealing with (G) - that’s a whole mess.

Only thing I can think of is if they’re testing to see if there’s a market for direct Queens-8th Av-Culver service in the event COVID cuts may include eliminating (F) and bringing (V) back or running more (M).

So when you say bringing back the (V), how would you have it run exactly, basically what the other guy said when having (F) in Brooklyn signed up as a (V) or having it run somewhere else?

This post was really confusing without a diagram, plus the typos. Unfortunately I can't draw one myself right now, but this is my understanding:

• (F) 179 St - Coney Island via QBL, 53 St, 8 Ave / Cranberry, and Culver
  • (E) Jamaica Center - Delancey/Essex via QBL, 63 St / 6 Ave. WTC terminal closed with no service

This service pattern is similar to the (2)(5) when the Clark Street Tunnel was being rehabilitated. Essentially the (5) trains ran from Dyre Ave to South Ferry via 7 Ave, and the (2) trains ran via Lex Ave. In that case though, the (5) trains were signed as (2) and vice versa to prevent Manhattan customers from being confused. Here, the changes are being made to not confuse Culver Line riders.

Edited by Caelestor

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

So when you say bringing back the (V), how would you have it run exactly, basically what the other guy said when having (F) in Brooklyn signed up as a (V) or having it run somewhere else?

That would be (V) as it was in the ‘00s but running to 71st or 179th; (E) switching at West 4th and thru Rutgers to CI.

Interesting thing would be what to do with (M) - is it QBL express with (E) or still local.

If I can Wallyhorse it:

(E) from Jamaica to CI via West 4th and Rutgers Tube

(M) from Middle Village Or Bway Junction to 71st; QBL Local

(V) from 2 Av to 179th; QBL Exp

And if (M) starts at Bway Junction:

(Z) Shuttle from Middle Village to Myrtle Av

26 minutes ago, Deucey said:

That would be (V) as it was in the ‘00s but running to 71st or 179th; (E) switching at West 4th and thru Rutgers to CI.

Interesting thing would be what to do with (M) - is it QBL express with (E) or still local.

If I can Wallyhorse it:

(E) could be done that way in a service cut for sure.

(M) runs as I would do it in this kind of a service cut Metropolitan Avenue-179 at ALL TIMES (no shuttle and no (V) revival), serving 63rd Street, Roosevelt Island and 21st-Queensbridge before joining the (E) at 36th with both running local all the way. 

Simple enough. 

2 hours ago, Caelestor said:

This post was really confusing without a diagram, plus the typos. Unfortunately I can't draw one myself right now, but this is my understanding:

• (F) 179 St - Coney Island via QBL, 53 St, 8 Ave / Cranberry, and Culver
  • (E) Jamaica Center - Delancey/Essex via QBL, 63 St / 6 Ave. WTC terminal closed with no service

This service pattern is similar to the (2)(5) when the Clark Street Tunnel was being rehabilitated. Essentially the (5) trains ran from Dyre Ave to South Ferry via 7 Ave, and the (2) trains ran via Lex Ave. In that case though, the (5) trains were signed as (2) and vice versa to prevent Manhattan customers from being confused. Here, the changes are being made to not confuse Culver Line riders.

10 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm thinking the (E)(F) switcharoo must have to do with some other G.O. taking place on those weekends

Also remember there is construction at Jamaica Center as well (but on weekends, all trains will be cut back to Jamaica Van Wyck). Weekends, all trains will run to Jamaica Van Wyck (while weekdays during the day, roughly half of all the trains will run to 179th Street)

39 minutes ago, Deucey said:

If I can Wallyhorse it:

That could work, but should there be at least an extra express service on 6th Av? The way I see it, having the (V) switch at West 4th to run express that way it's a full on express service train in both Manhattan and Queens. I do this because there are switches at 47-50th St-Rockefeller Center that continues via 63rd St. I don't know how well the idea of this is, either that or have the (M) run express on 6th Av continuing via 63rd, but run local with both the (E) and (V) express, depending if the (R) hasn't been cut yet.

8 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

(E) could be done that way in a service cut for sure.

(M) runs as I would do it in this kind of a service cut Metropolitan Avenue-179 at ALL TIMES (no shuttle and no (V) revival), serving 63rd Street, Roosevelt Island and 21st-Queensbridge before joining the (E) at 36th with both running local all the way. 

Simple enough. 

I don't think having both service running local is a good idea unless the (R) is running as well and hasn't been cut like I said earlier, it's better to keep (M) running express on QBL and then running local late nights or staying express. 

29 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

That could work, but should there be at least an extra express service on 6th Av? The way I see it, having the (V) switch at West 4th to run express that way it's a full on express service train in both Manhattan and Queens. I do this because there are switches at 47-50th St-Rockefeller Center that continues via 63rd St. I don't know how well the idea of this is, either that or have the (M) run express on 6th Av continuing via 63rd, but run local with both the (E) and (V) express, depending if the (R) hasn't been cut yet.

I don't think having both service running local is a good idea unless the (R) is running as well and hasn't been cut like I said earlier, it's better to keep (M) running express on QBL and then running local late nights or staying express. 

That would part of a bigger thing where the (R) would also be cut, possibly where the (R) becomes brown and runs the old <RR> "bankers special" between Essex and 95th Street (with a handful of (R) trains ending and beginning at Chambers) while the (J) save for a handful of rush-hour trains to and from Broad is cut full-time to Chambers (this could be done where for (R) trains terminating at Chambers, there is a (J) train waiting across the platform to transfer to).  This "brown (R)"  would also have scheduled yard runs from and to Broadway Junction that would at certain times supplement (J) service in that area. 

Edited by Wallyhorse

52 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

(M) runs as I would do it in this kind of a service cut Metropolitan Avenue-179 at ALL TIMES (no shuttle and no (V) revival), serving 63rd Street, Roosevelt Island and 21st-Queensbridge before joining the (E) at 36th with both running local all the way

Thing is that if (F) were to be eliminated, (M) at 8 cars wouldn’t be enough on QBL or 6 Av, so (V) would be needed - whether 8 car NTTs or 10 car R32s.

35 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

I’m speculating under the assumption (B) still exists whether M-F business hours or rush hour only. Midtown 6th Av switching would delay (D) and exacerbate overcrowding at current service levels since it wouldn’t run more service because it’s doubtful (A) would end up being a CPW local, and even (N) local would still merge with it at DeKalb.

Just now, Deucey said:

Thing is that if (F) were to be eliminated, (M) at 8 cars wouldn’t be enough on QBL or 6 Av, so (V) would be needed - whether 8 car NTTs or 10 car R32s.

I think you meant 10-car NTTs or 8-car R-46s/R-68s.  

Point taken regardless.  With that in mind, then I would look at this:

(E) runs Coney Island to Jamaica via Culver, Rutgers, 8th Avenue, 53rd and QB as of now, all local.

(F) is truncated to 2nd Avenue-179th Street weekdays 5:00 AM-Midnight.  Local in Manhattan, express on Queens Boulevard.

(J) is truncated to Chambers Street save for a limited number of rush hour runs to and from Broad Street.

(M) runs at all times between Metropolitan Avenue and 71st-Continental via 6th Avenue and 63rd Street, joining the (E) as a local at 36th Street.  Late nights and weekends extended to 179th Street.

(N) becomes a full-time local between Coney Island and Astoria via the tunnel. 

(R) becomes brown and runs the old <RR> "bankers special" route between 95th Street and Essex with some rush hour trains ending and beginning at Chambers.  Some "brown (R)" trains are extended as yard runs to Broadway Junction that are scheduled as such at all times to supplement the (J) at certain times.  

6 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Maybe they need York as a staging area too. And I wonder if they want to avoid forcing  Brooklyn (F) riders to transfer to the (A)(C) at Jay by having the (F) run through and diverting via the Cranberry Tubes. Beefing up the (B)(D) doesn’t really help because they don’t connect with the (F) in Brooklyn, except for the (D) way down at Stillwell. 

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

I doubt it, but in these crazy times, you never know. Though it’s hard to see them doing away with a busy service like the (F).

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue