Emergency Power cuts

vioreen

12 hours ago, vioreen said:

There need to be emergency power cut button on subway platform like what they got in Toronto metro and this cuts power to the 3rd Rail incase a customer falls onto the tracks. 

Uhhhhh....no. 

Did you not see the scene that unfolded two days ago with the mentally ill person throwing D plates onto the track? That's adding another weapon for them to use and cutting off power usually means entire sections of track meaning you may cause several trains to go BIE. People randomly pull the emergency brake on subway cars for no reason as it is.  The idea looks great on paper but it has the potential to do more harm than good. Some people might start pulling it because their phone fell in the track and needs to be rescued.

Why is this even in the bus thread?!

Edited by danielhg121

Right, and 95% of the time when somebody dies on the tracks it's from a train hitting them, not third rail contact. My understanding is you actually have to work fairly precisely to make contact with the rail and complete a circuit, but that's just from watching Taking of Pelham...

7 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Right, and 95% of the time when somebody dies on the tracks it's from a train hitting them, not third rail contact. My understanding is you actually have to work fairly precisely to make contact with the rail and complete a circuit, but that's just from watching Taking of Pelham...

From what I've been told, you have to touch the 3rd rail and running rail at the same time (and the space between them is bigger than it looks. You'd have to slip and fall and one part of your body touches the running rail while one touches the 3rd rail).

Still, I wouldn't test that theory lol . I remember the first time I had to cross it, the flagger said "Yeah if you touch both at the same time you're dead. No pressure though" 😄

20 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

<sarcasm> Yes, because a "push here to cut power" button where anyone can get it in this city won't backfire catastrophically. It will never get misused by miscreants looking for a laugh. It will never be pushed at the wrong time. snarling rush hour travel.</sarcasm>

Aside from how rarely the emergency brake is actually pulled, a simple solution is put the cutoff button in the token booths or maintenance rooms at stations that have them, and make the power blocks they control parts of lines between express-local junctions or diamonds on two-track lines.

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

It takes a bit of time, but if you press the emergency button on those communication posts (I forget what they are callee), or go to the booth, they can get it turned off for you in an emergency. 

I believe you are referring to the blue light Help Points. But yeah, in the monthly MTA meetings they track how long their response times are to those buttons, and IIRC they are less than 10 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

NYCT doesn't even have fire extinguishers on trains in violation of non-applicable federal law. On WMATA teens spray down the inside of subway cars with the onboard dry chem extinguishers all the time to duck against the system. NYCT subway cars don't even have any emergency door release handles, again in violation of no jurisdiction and no standing federal law. In London people open the side doors for by breaking the glass and pulling the handle "for a breeze". Because of NY State law, the AHJ for MTA property, is the MTA, not City Hall or Feds.

2 weeks ago on Metro north red-eye, 2 young fare dodgers got on at Fordham, no ticket no cash no ID asking for a break of course. Conductor tried to detain them by holding the doors closed at Mount Vernon East, as blue lights were rolling into the parking lot the 2 punks jumped off the MN between the cars, jumped over the metal platform railing down into the parking lot and ran off into the night. By the time MTA police slow walked to the train from their patrol car, the 2 punks were probably back in the bronx.

And someone wants 3rd rail power cut off buttons? Can't I throw a metal trashcan lid on the tracks between 3rd rail and running rail as emergency power cutoff?