What's your favorite NYCT/MaBSTOA/MTA Bus Route?

Krocyoin

Before they neutered it, it used to be the M5 (Houston st - GWB rendition) - which is one of many reasons why I've been as vocal with this M5/M55 split nonsense currently in operation....

Being that the Bx55 & the x19 are now gone, I guess I'd have to say the B103 is my favorite NYC bus route now.

* I know you didn't ask this, but my favorite end-to-end 2 bus combo as of late has been the M15 to the M100....

NYCT: S79 SBS. if you have a B/O that is experienced, it's definitely worth the ride... mind you, I don't fan bus lines at all, but i definitely did when they sbs'd this bad boy. 

MaBSTOA: Bx12 SBS. i rode this because i considered transferring to Gun Hill for a late run some years ago (didn't pull the trigger) and was shocked at how quickly we got to Broadway from Pelham. loved every second of the ride. 

MTA Bus Co: Q53 (current day AND Pre-SBS) i adore the Q53. i had a classmate who went to La Guardia after we were laid off, and homeboy had a RTS on his 53 LTD run. i was hooked instantly. and the current SBS? even with the bunching, i dig this line IDGAF. 

now i know this wasn't asked, but I'll offer my favorite lines to operate (obviously, i can't provide a Bus Co. line) 

NYCTA: B17 (both branches)  i strictly preferred 17 only runs (i despise 14/17 splits tbh)

MaBSTOA: tied between the Bx3 & Bx13 (the runs interline depending on what you pick, and i prefer 3/13 splits tbh) 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

It’s a 3 way tie between the Q44, Q53 and Q60.

I always like how many of the drivers on the Q44 don’t BS around and they know how to move those artic buses. Makes me wish the Q44 had D40HF’s back in the day.

Much like the Q44 when the Q53 first became a SBS I would always get drivers that would really move those XD60’s. I haven’t used it much within the last two years but I have always enjoyed the ride on the Q53 in general. 

The Q60 literally takes you from the hood to the city. But lol on a more serious note I always enjoyed the late evening rides on the Q60. I would take it from either Queens Plaza or 2nd Ave to Forest Hills and it would always surprise me how many people travel long distance on the Q60. 

B44(local/SBS), to be quite honest, I can't explain why. 

Admittedly I don't use buses that often, especially nowadays where I don't need them.

Q35 is a very close second. Very fast with nice scenery, also pretty useful when I need it.

Other routes near me (like the Q53) are nice too, except for the Q22. If reliability/bunching wasn't beyond abysmal on that route, maybe I'd consider it here.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 10:19 AM, Kenstyles said:

Wait, So a NYCT a driver cannot be on the BX route?

Not if it is civil service. As far as my favorite route is concerned, it has got to be the 36 for its many intervals out of 179 Street - GW Bridge. But my favorite end to end routes are the M103 and the M15; I once took both downtown before from 125/126 and they were really good.

On the local side, one of my favorite routes to fan/take is still the (M5) , even with the truncation to Midtown. The Riverside Drive portion of the route is my favorite part of the route, particularly southbound (because it's generally faster). The fact that they're using XDE40s now (although I know it's temporary...at least for now) makes it even more appealing (not a Nova Bus LFS fan at all, although I don't mind the LFSAs). I used to do the M5 > Bx36 > Q44 trip a lot headed back to Queens in my free time. I did it once a few weeks ago, but pre-pandemic, I used to do that a lot.

The (Q67) is also another route I like taking. It's like an unofficial express during evenings and weekends between Grand Avenue and Van Dam or Hunterspoint Ave (7) (although you'll occasionally see people get on in industrial Maspeth). 

If the (M98) operated daily and still ran down to Midtown, it probably would be my favorite route to take without a doubt. 

On the express side, I think it's a tie between the (QM2) , (QM6) , and (BM5). I generally like long routes, and the BM5 and QM6 both fit that. The BM5 and QM6 also don't meander a lot and can generally pick up some speed on their outerborough pick-up/drop-off segments. However, the QM2 has more highway segments, and has better views. The BM5 uses D4500CTs (which are currently my favorite of the MCI fleets), but doesn't run daily (which the QM2 and QM6 do). Also, the inbound schedule on the BM5 is trash, so that also knocks it down. If I had to choose, perhaps I would go with the QM2 I guess. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Mine is the (Bx4) and the (Bx36). Growing up was the (Bx36) for 13 years before moving into the Deep South Bronx. I was near 3 subway stations: Jackson & Prospect Ave els (2) & (5) and 149th St underground (6). I also had the (Bx17) on Prospect Ave before I started doing work for WA in 1989. Although back then, my high school was out of my zone and even when I moved to Queens before my senior year in Monroe. There was no (NYCTA) bus near me but 4 green bus routes: (Q8), (Q11), (Q21)(at that time, it ended at Rockaway Blvd (A),(C) and (H) (before the 1994 changes)), & (Q41). One Triboro bus (Q53) and one Jamaica (Q112). The 2 express route (QM16) and (QM17) ran non stop. (QM15) & BQM1 (now (BM5)) had a stop there. My last spot before leaving in 2001 was on Morrison Ave (6), the (Bx4)(Bx27)& (Bx36). Although I miss the city, it was time for me to move on to better spots outside of it where different bus companies and fixed routes are a common there. Certain cities outside have overnight service, smaller towns do not. Most small town TAs operate from 5:00A to 11:30P. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 3:01 AM, Krocyoin said:

So to start this off, my favorite bus route is the Q12 cause of it's straight forward routing. 

Updating this, my favorite routes are the Q12, Q13, and the QM3. I know the QM3 isn't the best when it comes to ridership, but last month on a Friday, I got to ride the 7:50 AM QM3 trip from Northern Boulevard & 194th Street to Midtown, Manhattan with my friend, which I had to wake up at 7 AM to do so and there was a niche chunk of riders, 20 in total, including me and my friend.

Edited by Krocyoin

On 3/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, FLX9304 said:

Mine is the (Bx4) and the (Bx36). Growing up was the (Bx36) for 13 years before moving into the Deep South Bronx. I was near 3 subway stations: Jackson & Prospect Ave els (2) & (5) and 149th St underground (6). I also had the (Bx17) on Prospect Ave before I started doing work for WA in 1989. Although back then, my high school was out of my zone and even when I moved to Queens before my senior year in Monroe. There was no (NYCTA) bus near me but 4 green bus routes: (Q8), (Q11), (Q21)(at that time, it ended at Rockaway Blvd (A),(C) and (H) (before the 1994 changes)), & (Q41). One Triboro bus (Q53) and one Jamaica (Q112). The 2 express route (QM16) and (QM17) ran non stop. (QM15) & BQM1 (now (BM5)) had a stop there. My last spot before leaving in 2001 was on Morrison Ave (6), the (Bx4)(Bx27)& (Bx36). Although I miss the city, it was time for me to move on to better spots outside of it where different bus companies and fixed routes are a common there. Certain cities outside have overnight service, smaller towns do not. Most small town TAs operate from 5:00A to 11:30P. 

Nice, for my most of my life, and currently, I live near the Q12, Q13, Q26, Q27, Q31, Q76, QM3, n20G (formerly the n20/n21) and the PW LIRR Branch.