BREAKING: MAJOR SUBWAY DISRUPTIONS IN SOUTH BROOKLYN

Future ENY OP

Major disruptions right now on the (B)(D)(F)(N)(R)(Q) Most trains are NOT running into South Brooklyn right now due to police activity.  Schools are also on lockdown.  Affected stations: 25th Street, 36th Street, Bay Ridge Avenue and 95th Street. Additional police response requested in the vicinity of Bay Ridge per citizen app. 

Article here: 
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/multiple-people-shot-in-brooklyn-subway-sources/3641743/

Ive been looking at some pics and videos on Instagram...... This is truly disgusting. I don't give rats ass what type of train model it was. Whether it was an R46 or R160 or a lambergine. The most important aspect of all are those innocent people young & old that don't deserve this act of violence.

Why? Why this? Why do these things happen. I have my personal reasons as to why Ive lost faith in the current state of society. But this is too much. My thoughts and prayers or for those affected in this hot mess. My prayers are also for the rest of the transit community. Please be aware. Take care of your self and your loved ones. 🙏

Edited by jon2305

51 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

Ive been looking at some pics and videos on Instagram...... This is truly disgusting. I don't give rats ass what type of train model it was. Whether it was an R46 or R160 or a lambergine. The most important aspect of all are those innocent people young & old that don't deserve this act of violence.

Why? Why this? Why do these things happen. I have my personal reasons as to why Ive lost faith in the current state of society. But this is too much. My thoughts and prayers or for those affected in this hot mess. My prayers are also for the rest of the transit community. Please be aware. Take care of your self and your loved ones. 🙏

Thank you for saying this. It shouldn't have to be said, but unfortunately it does.

8 hours ago, jon2305 said:

A part of me says that he would not have tried this on the R though, as that's all R160. Apparently this was between stations that it happened.

5 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

A part of me says that he would not have tried this on the R though, as that's all R160. Apparently this was between stations that it happened.

I don't think it would've matter whether or not he was on the (R). His luck ran out when he was on the (N) going Manhattan bound and his gun jammed in the middle of shooting people. To be fair, there were people that have actually tried escaping to another car, one I think actually did manage to get out of the smoking car, but couldn't in the other.

14 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

This sounds like a terrorist attack, similar to the 2 Train fire back in early 2020.

The attack on the (2) was not a terrorist attack, it was a very sick, homeless individual who was setting fires all over the place.  That fire, IMO led to the subways being shut down in the overnight for more than a year because it was the only LEGAL way they could get the homeless out of the system without facing the wrath of the ACLU that would have otherwise taken them to court and likely got a ruling against the MTA.

This incident to me isn't a terrorist attack either BUT could eventually prove to be a hate crime.  The (N) as I remember goes through Brooklyn's Chinatown and many of the worst victims I saw in photos were of Asian descent.  That suggests the shooter may have been targeting Asians for any reason, especially if he blamed Asians for COVID (even if such in the US had ZERO to do with the initial spread of COVID that happened to originate in China which is why some still call it "The China Virus") and that caused a severe downturn in his or a family member's life (due to COVID itself or the loss of job still not recovered since COVID).  

2 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

The attack on the (2) was not a terrorist attack, it was a very sick, homeless individual who was setting fires all over the place.  That fire, IMO led to the subways being shut down in the overnight for more than a year because it was the only LEGAL way they could get the homeless out of the system without facing the wrath of the ACLU that would have otherwise taken them to court and likely got a ruling against the MTA.

This incident to me isn't a terrorist attack either BUT could eventually prove to be a hate crime.  The (N) as I remember goes through Brooklyn's Chinatown and many of the worst victims I saw in photos were of Asian descent.  That suggests the shooter may have been targeting Asians for any reason, especially if he blamed Asians for COVID (even if such in the US had ZERO to do with the initial spread of COVID that happened to originate in China which is why some still call it "The China Virus") and that caused a severe downturn in his or a family member's life (due to COVID itself or the loss of job still not recovered since COVID).  

Well that's were you and I differ. I see this as an attack because he was able to accomplish his goal without a hitch, causing maximum mayhem. Doesn't need to be middle easter America haters with smuggled military hardware. To it being a hate crime, while it is possible, one would have to ask "why Brooklyn (Park Slope/Red Hook area) instead of Manhattan"? Better yet, why not his own city he was from (Philly)?

20 hours ago, jon2305 said:

Train model actually matters in this type of situation. They were trapped on an R46 with no type of escape route. If it was an R160 some people could've switched cars. Makes me wonder if the MTA will consider unlocking those doors because these subways aint safe...cant be just stuck in a subway car. I will be avoiding R46s and R68s from now on because this city is not doing enough to ensure the protection of riders and I do not feel safe riding on a subway car that I can't leave if we aren't at a station. 

25 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Train model actually matters in this type of situation. They were trapped on an R46 with no type of escape route. If it was an R160 some people could've switched cars. Makes me wonder if the MTA will consider unlocking those doors because these subways aint safe...cant be just stuck in a subway car. I will be avoiding R46s and R68s from now on because this city is not doing enough to ensure the protection of riders and I do not feel safe riding on a subway car that I can't leave if we aren't at a station. 

More likely IMO it will hasten the demise of these cars and press the MTA to get replacements (including open gangway cars) quicker than they would have otherwise. 

26 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

More likely IMO it will hasten the demise of these cars and press the MTA to get replacements (including open gangway cars) quicker than they would have otherwise. 

Good, should've been done a long time ago. 

P.S: They just sent an emergency alert to everyone's phone that Frank James, 62, is wanted. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

What kills me is that they never even bothered to install emergency intercoms in each car like the tech trains on all the R46's and R68's. That would have helped because the crew would have been notified and the police could have a greater chance of nabbing the guy.

People tend to cap for these cars knowing that they are rolling safety hazards and have been for years. Locked doors and no way of communicating to the crew is just disastrous .

(MTA) is going to be under fire when all of this comes out. People will speak out saying they were trapped because of the locked doors.

1 minute ago, R32 3838 said:

What kills me is that they never even bothered to install emergency intercoms in each car like the tech trains on all the R46's and R68's. That would have helped because the crew would have been notified and the police could have a greater chance of nabbing the guy.

People tend to cap for these cars knowing that they are rolling safety hazards and have been for years. Locked doors and no way of communicating to the crew is just disastrous .

(MTA) is going to be under fire when all of this comes out. People will speak out saying they were trapped because of the locked doors.

My exact sentiments! People talking about "I don't care what train model". Well if it was you in that situation you damnn sure would care. 

I'm just glad nobody died. They said he fired 33 shots...did he do it right before the train approached the station? I'm just curious were people trying to stop him, or was he just shooting at the ground? everyone seemed to had gotten shot around the lower body area....so its not like he was shooting to kill. 

Everyone got off the train and was standing around like he didn't just shoot people...normally people would be running trying to get out of the station, but everyone got off (mainly because of the smoke) and just stood around or got on the (R) train. So why weren't they as scared? What did he say to them? 

Idk everything is just very weird about this situation...I can't wait to hear what people in that car have to say. The guy who is wanted now even has a YouTube channel and he posts videos about the evil in the world. 

3 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Does anyone remember why 75 foot cars have locked end doors ? Learn some history before commenting. My take. Carry on.

We know why they are locked, We are saying they are safety hazards for lacking an Emergency intercom system to alert the crew. If They had those, Them being locked wouldn't have been a big deal since the crew can unlock the doors with a push of a button. In this case they would have left the doors locked until the next station and the police would have been right there to nab the prep.

If one of these cars catches fire in a tunnel (mainly the last 2-3 cars), It would be a big problem. If they had installed the emergency intercoms like on the tech trains, The crew would know exactly what's going on.  That's the issue.

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

My exact sentiments! People talking about "I don't care what train model". Well if it was you in that situation you damnn sure would care. 

I'm just glad nobody died. They said he fired 33 shots...did he do it right before the train approached the station? I'm just curious were people trying to stop him, or was he just shooting at the ground? everyone seemed to had gotten shot around the lower body area....so its not like he was shooting to kill. 

Everyone got off the train and was standing around like he didn't just shoot people...normally people would be running trying to get out of the station, but everyone got off (mainly because of the smoke) and just stood around or got on the (R) train. So why weren't they as scared? What did he say to them? 

Idk everything is just very weird about this situation...I can't wait to hear what people in that car have to say. The guy who is wanted now even has a YouTube channel and he posts videos about the evil in the world. 

People tend not to think with common sense at all. Regardless of what people think, This will be brought up. (MTA) had a chance to install emergency intercoms years ago and they took cheap way out. Cars like the R46's should have had them post GOH with the R68/68A's right after. While The doors being locked do suck, They only lock them because the way the cars overhang when they turn. Having emergency intercom like the NTT's would have been helpful so this way the crew would have been alerted.

19 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

How could you have come to that conclusion when the NYPD doesn't even know what his angle was behind this attack?  I'll say it again. The model of the train is irrelevant in terms of that vs the discussion of human beings over some man made nonsense. That was the idea being conveyed earlier by @jon2305 and I again applaud him for noting it.  

------

As far the train model being a liability, that goes without saying, but let's not use that as an excuse to dwell on the discussion of different train models every time some sort of service issue occurs. Quite frankly, it reads as being insensitive to the bigger issue here. Fortunately, none of the injuries were life threatening. 

58 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

And again, re: those locked doors – R46s were delivered with passenger-accessible emergency bypass switches to open the doors. Those were removed and plated over. To me, that's a mistake.

Because the unruly passengers and the " dead " battery sellers were going from car to car abusing the privilege, leaving the (MTA) open to potential lawsuits because of hazardous conditions of difficulty of slips and falls. That's the point I was trying to make. Just how many mass shootings or fire conditions have happened since the introduction of those cars ?  I've had a shooting incident on a downtown (5) train at Wall Street on an R142 consist. Shooter had a beef with another rider, pulled his piece, fired it, missed , and fled to the street. There was no mass exodus from car to car or on the platform. Each incident is different so I wouldn't be too quick to condemn an entire car class for this incident. This dude was an obvious nutjob, IMO. We were taught in schoolcar to ISOLATE any problem. It may sound cold to some folks but unlocked doors or open gangways are potentially just as hazardous where I come from. I think it boils down to a " risk vs cost " factor to the (MTA) . Just  my opinion though. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5

6 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Because the unruly passengers and the " dead " battery sellers were going from car to car abusing the privilege, leaving the (MTA) open to potential lawsuits because of hazardous conditions of difficulty of slips and falls. That's the point I was trying to make. Just how many mass shootings or fire conditions have happened since the introduction of those cars ?  I've had a shooting incident on a downtown (5) train at Wall Street on an R142 consist. Shooter had a beef with another rider, pulled his piece, fired it, missed , and fled to the street. There was no mass exodus from car to car or on the platform. Each incident is different so I wouldn't be too quick to condemn an entire car class for this incident. This dude was an obvious nutjob, IMO. We were taught in schoolcar to ISOLATE any problem. It may sound cold to some folks but unlocked doors or open gangways are potentially just as hazardous where I come from. I think it boils down to a " risk vs cost " factor to the (MTA) . Just  my opinion though. Carry on.

I'll say this much, this man needs to be put to death and thrown under the prison...

29 minutes ago, Joel Powers said:

I'll say this much, this man needs to be put to death and thrown under the prison...

I understand your frustration but luckily no one died. Calling for the death penalty is over the top. If that’s the case what should we do about the organizers of 1/6 in DC ? Someone did die that day. You’re traveling down a slippery slope, IMO. Carry on.

4 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I understand your frustration but luckily no one died. Calling for the death penalty is over the top. If that’s the case what should we do about the organizers of 1/6 in DC ? Someone did die that day. You’re traveling down a slippery slope, IMO. Carry on.

You make an interesting point. However, a signal needs to be sent to show the world that the MTA nor the NYPD are playing any games when it comes to safety.