R46 Retirement Thread

zacster

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Wasn't 402 the car that hit and pushed the bumper block toward the drink at Tottenville some years ago?  If so, that car is off the property to my knowledge.

What about the other cars?

1 hour ago, zacster said:

How many more R68s will go back to Concourse?  There will be plenty of R46s to replace them.

It depends, Probably 24 more cars or more to increase the spare factor.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

IDK.  But I do remember 402.

Yep. Jumped the bumper block at Tville in 08 and was scrapped around '13. You're correct

Edited by Ale188

On 3/23/2024 at 9:33 AM, zacster said:

Are the Pitkin cars in any better shape than the CI cars?  Or are they equally bad.  Are they any different, or are they all completely the same and it was just the assignment?

From what I saw, it says that Coney Island cars are in better shape.

On 2/28/2024 at 11:51 AM, zacster said:

To what end?  Unless they plan on expanding the line there just isn't any need.  And if they do plan to expand the line there will be plenty of lead time.

I was thinking that if these are the cars they're going to buy for the next few decades or so, they could add another 10-20 for a few extra trains if service necessitates it 

8 hours ago, TyBusLover1 said:

Wait,I thought that R46 6214 was in long term storage. Since when did it get retired?

When its mate got mated with the other wrecked set and they put 6062 out to pasture. They parted out 6214 as well.

I was at the upper level of W4th St today and a couple of R46 trains came through, one an A the other a C, and they really are in rough condition even compared to the CI ones that I regularly ride.  If an R211T C train happened to come I was going to take it, but I wasn't going to wait around for it so I just went and did my regular business.  My Q train home was an R46 and didn't pay much attention otherwise.