R46 Retirement Thread

zacster

If the Pitkin R46s are in much worse shape, will we see them go first and the CI 46s hold off until Option 1 goes to Concourse or Jamaica, or are we going to see some transfers around the system where they just retire the worst performing cars from each yard?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

If the Pitkin R46s are in much worse shape, will we see them go first and the CI 46s hold off until Option 1 goes to Concourse or Jamaica, or are we going to see some transfers around the system where they just retire the worst performing cars from each yard?

The worst performing ones, no matter which yard they are assigned to, will be retired first.  On this board we have no way of knowing if the ones recently transferred to CIYD, right now presumably to increase the spare factor, are good performers or bad performers.  A good performer today, can very well become a horrible performer next week/month because they are all old and tired cars.  Which sets will be the first ones to be retired are made by the suits downtown.

I wish you guys would hop on the R46 train and enjoy the ride, rather than always wanting to be the first guys to find out the order of retirements............whenever that starts to happen.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

37 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

The worst performing ones, no matter which yard they are assigned to, will be retired first.  On this board we have no way of knowing if the ones recently transferred to CIYD, right now presumably to increase the spare factor, are good performers or bad performers.  A good performer today, can very well become a horrible performer next week/month because they are all old and tired cars.  Which sets will be the first ones to be retired are made by the suits downtown.

I wish you guys would hop on the R46 train and enjoy the ride, rather than always wanting to be the first guys to find out the order of retirements............whenever that starts to happen.

That's the entire site for you. Literally, 'Are any 46s retired yet?' 'What 46s are transferred?' 'Why didn't they start retiring them?'

I wish I could hop on a 46 again. My first ride was smooth as shit and I loved it (besides a dude talking about how their mom got chopped up when he was 6).

I also wish I could see it with its replacement side-by-side, but that might be planned much sooner than I anticipated, and I might not see it by the time I move to the city.

I rode two of them yesterday.  I'm on the Q and I'm always riding them.  Sometimes they are smooth and sometimes they are not.  Sometimes they have working signs, sometimes not.  They all look old and tired. 

On 3/23/2024 at 9:33 AM, zacster said:

Are the Pitkin cars in any better shape than the CI cars?  Or are they equally bad.  Are they any different, or are they all completely the same and it was just the assignment?

Pitkin R46s are better maintained compare to CI R46s. That's why it's believed that the plan is to have the R211 push some out to CI to retire their worse for wear cars.

On 3/25/2024 at 4:50 PM, zacster said:

I was at the upper level of W4th St today and a couple of R46 trains came through, one an A the other a C, and they really are in rough condition even compared to the CI ones that I regularly ride.  If an R211T C train happened to come I was going to take it, but I wasn't going to wait around for it so I just went and did my regular business.  My Q train home was an R46 and didn't pay much attention otherwise.

From my own experiences, I've had rougher running cars from CI than the Pitkin cars even if they look worse cosmetically.

Posted (edited)

Pitkin cars are just dirty, That doesn't mean they are in bad shape. The R211s allow them to see more shop time while CI don't have that much since they need spares in which they are getting now. Overall, The pitkin ones are better maintained and were only terrible when they retired the R32s and had their spare factor reduced.

On 3/26/2024 at 10:42 AM, Ale188 said:

That's the entire site for you. Literally, 'Are any 46s retired yet?' 'What 46s are transferred?' 'Why didn't they start retiring them?'

I wish I could hop on a 46 again. My first ride was smooth as shit and I loved it (besides a dude talking about how their mom got chopped up when he was 6).

I also wish I could see it with its replacement side-by-side, but that might be planned much sooner than I anticipated, and I might not see it by the time I move to the city.

This is nothing new, They do this when anything old. They did this with the R32s, Now with the R46s and then in the future it's going to be with the R68s.

Edited by R32 3838

1 minute ago, BenTheMiner said:

5970-5973 is in Pitkin Yard and hasn't seen service since August.

6240+6242 was last seen in service in November.

Well, damn. That's long.

Posted (edited)

R46 5810-5813 (Coney Island Yard) has been experiencing issues for a while now. It is missing its end rollsign boxes and has now supposedly been retired (to be confirmed).

On 4/15/2024 at 7:23 PM, TyBusLover1 said:

@BenTheMiner what was the last time 6216+18 were spotted?

April 15th

Edited by BenTheMiner

2 hours ago, BenTheMiner said:

R46 5810-5813 (Coney Island Yard) has been experiencing issues for a while now. It is missing its end rollsign boxes and has now supposedly been retired (to be confirmed).

April 15th

Thanks. Also about 5810-13 if they really are retired then surprisingly CIY yard would be the first yard to formally retire R46s even though their units are known to be the best ones.

15 hours ago, TyBusLover1 said:

Thanks. Also about 5810-13 if they really are retired then surprisingly CIY yard would be the first yard to formally retire R46s even though their units are known to be the best ones.

I think you're mistaken. The R46s out of Coney Island Yard are performing worse than Pitkin Yard. Though in general they're pretty bad now...

3 hours ago, zacster said:

After reading through the latest on the R211 I can't understand how they haven't pulled cars for retirement or at least tranfer.

The spare factor is too low. All the R46s are needed right now, just to hold down service. Otherwise you’d be seeing daily R160 stints on the Broadway Line for the (N)(W) during the morning rush since the R46s are barely holding on.

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The spare factor is too low. All the R46s are needed right now, just to hold down service. Otherwise you’d be seeing daily R160 stints on the Broadway Line for the (N)(W) during the morning rush since the R46s are barely holding on.

They have 15 more trains now than they did before displacing R46s on the A/C.  How is the spare factor too low?  The spare factor was low before the R211s arrived because they retired the last 11 R32 trains early, but they were able to get by.  Now they have 15 trains to make up for the 11, with more coming each week.  2 more sets are doing burn in testing, another set was just delivered.  I'm assuming too that the new trains are much more reliable.  That would lower the need for spares. 

I remember back in the 60s as the R32s came in first the triplexes, then the standards all disappeared really fast.  I remember railfanning as a kid on the Sea Beach and then changing at 62nd/New Utrect for the West End and an old train came rumbling in, can't remember whether standard or triplex, and that was the last time I saw one on the BMT southern.  The standards continued running on the Eastern for another 4 or 5 years until the last of the R9s replaced them.  One day you'll have thought all the R46s are gone and one will come rumbling into the station, and the next day you'll read here that it was the last regularly scheduled run.

1 hour ago, zacster said:

They have 15 more trains now than they did before displacing R46s on the A/C.  How is the spare factor too low?  The spare factor was low before the R211s arrived because they retired the last 11 R32 trains early, but they were able to get by.  Now they have 15 trains to make up for the 11, with more coming each week.  2 more sets are doing burn in testing, another set was just delivered.  I'm assuming too that the new trains are much more reliable.  That would lower the need for spares. 

I remember back in the 60s as the R32s came in first the triplexes, then the standards all disappeared really fast.  I remember railfanning as a kid on the Sea Beach and then changing at 62nd/New Utrect for the West End and an old train came rumbling in, can't remember whether standard or triplex, and that was the last time I saw one on the BMT southern.  The standards continued running on the Eastern for another 4 or 5 years until the last of the R9s replaced them.  One day you'll have thought all the R46s are gone and one will come rumbling into the station, and the next day you'll read here that it was the last regularly scheduled run.

Because we still have a car shortage from the pre-mature retirements of the R44's and R32's.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, zacster said:

After reading through the latest on the R211 I can't understand how they haven't pulled cars for retirement or at least tranfer.

MTA learned from the R179 (or they've already done this). They haven't retired any R46 right now because if the entire R211 fleet gets grounded again, they would need all of the R46. When the R179 was entering service, they still had a lot of R32 sets in storage just in case.

Edited by BenTheMiner

23 hours ago, zacster said:

They are starting congestion pricing soon, They will cherry pick cars in the worse shape to go which would be a small amount. You guys want these gone while (MTA) wants to start congestion pricing in June. It makes sense to keep the fleet going until spare factor is met and which ever extra service they can add on on the fly. You'll start seeing cars get stored if they don't need them but they need to keep cars instead of scrapping them until there's enough R211s to then start to scrap process.

13 hours ago, zacster said:

The Spare factor at CI is still low. Remember, CI doesn't have tech trains so spare factor has to be higher. Once Concourse gets tech trains, CIY will have a higher spare factor plus having techs for the (B) and leftover techs for the (N) (Q) and (W) while all 3 of those lines will be dominated by R68s.

11 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

They are starting congestion pricing soon, They will cherry pick cars in the worse shape to go which would be a small amount. You guys want these gone while (MTA) wants to start congestion pricing in June. It makes sense to keep the fleet going until spare factor is met and which ever extra service they can add on on the fly. You'll start seeing cars get stored if they don't need them but they need to keep cars instead of scrapping them until there's enough R211s to then start to scrap process.

The Spare factor at CI is still low. Remember, CI doesn't have tech trains so spare factor has to be higher. Once Concourse gets tech trains, CIY will have a higher spare factor plus having techs for the (B) and leftover techs for the (N) (Q) and (W) while all 3 of those lines will be dominated by R68s.

If the math is properly done and accounting for a proper spare factor for each route and a full length (G) train, there will be just enough cars for all lines in the B division EXCEPT the (N)(Q)(W), with no leftovers. But if the plans for full length (G) trains is put on hold and transit gets a bit tight with spare factors (reduced), then there will be enough cars for the(Q) to be upgraded too (since the (Q) has the greatest potential to get rerouted to 6 Av, and they can immediately start CBTC work there to have the (E)(F)(G) in their entirety be CBTC by 2030), leaving the (N)(W) as the only routes to host the SMEE trains