R46 Retirement Thread

zacster

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BenTheMiner said:

R44 421, 434 may be retired. Apparently missing parts at St George. But they still have rollsign (434) and third rail power (via contact shoes). Apparently, the cab door is missing (434).

They've been struggling to meet service as of late so stripping parts to keep other units alive is probably an act of desperation to run some service. Hopefully, those R211S begin revenue service soon. 

34 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

They've been struggling to meet service as of late so stripping parts to keep other units alive is probably an act of desperation to run some service. Hopefully, those R211S begin revenue service soon. 

Agreed. I also hope the r211S will hit service soon because if they don’t, then the whole fleet of SIR r44s will fall into disrepair (Which is basically already happening.) 

12 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Will they need to order more R211Ss, or do they just need the whole order in service ASAP to retire the R44s ASAP

10 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

Surprised they didn't order a train or two more for fleet expansion, but this is the MTA we're talking about

To what end?  Unless they plan on expanding the line there just isn't any need.  And if they do plan to expand the line there will be plenty of lead time.

On 2/27/2024 at 8:29 AM, slantfan4281 said:

Will they need to order more R211Ss, or do they just need the whole order in service ASAP to retire the R44s ASAP

The R211S is part of the base order, so they should all be on property by end of next year. But according to the chats, looks like the R44s are doing pretty terrible - can someone please comment on how bad it is over there. 

Once the first R211S is cleared for service, you can bet it will be run 24/7 and another train of R44s can be stripped down for parts.

13 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

The R211S is part of the base order, so they should all be on property by end of next year. But according to the chats, looks like the R44s are doing pretty terrible - can someone please comment on how bad it is over there. 

Once the first R211S is cleared for service, you can bet it will be run 24/7 and another train of R44s can be stripped down for parts.

i know some are missing rollsigns

On 2/28/2024 at 5:55 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

Probably for wheel truing.  It's a regular thing for R46's from Pitkin to get their wheels cut there.

Yep. Not sure why some trains have been there for so long, though.

On 3/1/2024 at 1:07 PM, darkstar8983 said:

Besides the flaws that have already been known about the R44, there's plenty. As mentioned, missing rollsigns so people don't even know if a train is local or express by signs anymore. Also, buckling. And probably flat wheels.

15 hours ago, BenTheMiner said:

Yep. Not sure why some trains have been there for so long, though.

Probably because it is unnecessary to even do the work.  Even if not officially retired, mothballed or whatever, there are enough R211s to make it surplus.

20 hours ago, zacster said:

Probably because it is unnecessary to even do the work.  Even if not officially retired, mothballed or whatever, there are enough R211s to make it surplus.

Yes and the fact that concourse has only 3 shop tracks and they probably had a black log of R68s that needed to go in for inspections.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, BenTheMiner said:

R44 452 confirmed retired. 423 is also retired.

Look mta,I know it takes a lot to prepare a train for revenue service but just give the sir the R211Ss already.

Edited by TyBusLover1

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 6:34 AM, darkstar8983 said:

Yes and the fact that concourse has only 3 shop tracks and they probably had a black log of R68s that needed to go in for inspections.

One track of the 3 is for wheel truing only.

Inspections: they take priority.  They must be done on the day specified.  If there is a defect that can't be repaired that day, it has to wait to go back in so the next group of cars can be inspected the next day, but in the overwhelming majority of cases, the inspected cars would be good to go out the next day for service.   The backlog of "trouble cars" have to wait.  But in the case of the Concourse R68's the troubles are repaired pretty quickly since the D does not have a large spare factor.  Even if they had more spares, more cars would have to wait their turn to get in the barn.  And that statement goes for every barn.  As long as the D makes full service every rush hour, it's all good.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

R32s 3520/3891, 3810/3811 are still on the track along 37th St right off Ft. Hamilton.   I went by on my bike about an hour ago.  Still no pics though, I didn't want to stop as I was finishing up a long ride.

Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2024 at 6:51 PM, zacster said:

R32s 3520/3891, 3810/3811 are still on the track along 37th St right off Ft. Hamilton.   I went by on my bike about an hour ago.  Still no pics though, I didn't want to stop as I was finishing up a long ride.

Are any other R32s there?

Edited by TyBusLover1