Those who passed Conductor Exam #8094

JKid84

So do they require you to resign, retire, or take a leave of absence:confused:

Well it's not required for you to do any, but you must fill out a dual employment form for (NYCT). And you must have at least 1 common day off with the other job like you do with (NYCT). I know for a fact the B/O course for two weeks you must either be on leave or vacation from your other job. (NYCT) will not except the fact that you've used sick time for those 2 weeks from your other job. After the 2 weeks you will know if you're a B/O or not, so you should just quit your other job or complete a dual employment form. I Don't know if the same applies for C/R or T/O. It was not a requirement for me as a S/A thru class, but I hated my previous job and could not wait to leave it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In that case I'll get my records from SS and make sure I have that down and report that and nothing else thanks naughtygal.

Transitman I dont' know whats so funny about that, she was just giving me info.

No problem. In any job you go to, only report legal work. It's nice to show you have experience, but admitting off the books jobs can give another kind of experience you don't want. Remember, any job that they don't take taxes out of your pay, and you yourself don't report to the IRS at the end of the year is illegal. The only kind of tax free jobs that are legal are usually international jobs like working for the UN.

Also if any of you guys have arrests, you have to give them your dispositions. Even if your lawyer claims your records were sealed, if I were you, I would still tell transit. They don't really care if you have misdemeanors or less, just as long as you are honest about it. Also tell them about any tickets with transit, such as fare hopping, urinating, or smoking on the subway. You can retreive that paper work ad the Transit Adjudication Bureau in downtown Brooklyn near Fulton street. For criminal dispositions, you need to go to the courthouse where you appeared for the offence. The Transit Adjudication Burea will charge you for your ticket history. The criminal courts don't charge for the dispositions if you had a court appointed attorney present for your court case. Remember, Transit employess are legal slaves and they will act as if they own you while you are jumping through the hoops for them. They know there were about 18000 people that passed this exam, so you are easily expendable.

Any insight on the medical standards for the position, especially concerning vision. I'm asking because I'm legally blind on one eye(glasses/contacts or any surgery will not help) and hopefully it will not be a problem.

Normal standards are vision correctable to 20/40. The "legally blind in one eye" is something new for me. However, Transit does give pre-employment ADA testing to see if you are capable of doing the job before you are hired. While most of these tend to be for color-blindnes or hearing, we have done them for people missing limbs.

Is it mandatory to resign or take a leave of absence from my current part-time job(I have a very flexible schedule)? OR SIMPLY, Is dual employment allowed by TA? I have a very low list # on 8094 and wanted to be prepared>

On your first day, you will be asked to fill out a Dual Employement form. All second jobs must be approved by Transit. I do not know of anyone that works for RTO who has been approved to work a second job (which doesn't mean that someone might have been approved). Personally, I highly suggest leaving whatever your current job is upon being hired, unless you are one of the lucky few that can take an unpaid leave of absence for a year.

You cant use self employment or off the books jobs. They are not valid so there is no need to disclose it to them.

Of course you can use self-employment. I worked as a consultant and a free-lance scenic carpenter/theatrical electrician. You just list the years you did this and put "self-employed" where they ask for "Name of employer".

Does it matter if you were a minor when you received a ticket from the TAB?

They will print out the dates and offences on one sheet regardless of your age.

WHAT IF YOU USED A PARENTS ADDRESS WHEN APPLYING TO TAKE TEST DO TO AN UNSETTLED SITUATION, SHOULD YOU PUT IN AN ADDRESS CHANGE NOW?

You should update your address with Dcas, unless you will definitely get the letter at your parents' address. If you can get it there, you can always play it safe and just update it after you're hired to avoid any possible mail errors.

I Worked 2 Jobs In Miami One Of Them With A Temp Agency How Do I Get That Info?

Technically you worked for the temp agency, even though the work was for a company. Put the temp agency information.

Normal standards are vision correctable to 20/40. The "legally blind in one eye" is something new for me. However, Transit does give pre-employment ADA testing to see if you are capable of doing the job before you are hired. While most of these tend to be for color-blindnes or hearing, we have done them for people missing limbs.

Is it 20/40 with both eyes open or each eye individually? I guess if they do a test to see if I'm capable of doing the job, then I have nothing to worry about.

100 % of the job duty is based on having good eye sight. I would prepare myself for bad news if I were you.

Right now it's 50/50. I still need to find out if the 20/40 is for better eye and the worse eye can be more than that rating, uncorrectable. If my eyes are good for driving, especially an emergency vehicle in my previous job, I don't see how it can be a problem looking down a subway car. But, it's not what I think, it's what they require...

Right now it's 50/50. I still need to find out if the 20/40 is for better eye and the worse eye can be more than that rating, uncorrectable. If my eyes are good for driving, especially an emergency vehicle in my previous job, I don't see how it can be a problem looking down a subway car. But, it's not what I think, it's what they require...

The reason for that is, if you get into an accident driving your car because of your vision, you get can get sued, but if your vision problem causes an accident with the subway, the MTA gets sued. You have to be able to see 300 feet towards the back of the train and 300 feet towards the front. The MTA doesn't really do things like a normal human organization, so you have to definitely try to find out before hand. Maybe you can try to call Dcas if they have a phone number in NYCT hiring so you can call and ask. You have to remember also, that when dealing with NYCT it's almost impossible to get a straight or correct answer because different people tell you different things.

Hello there. I am new here but have been reading all of the post's in regards to the conductor exam. From what I am reading I should be expecting a call from them sometime soon as I scored 100 and am #142 on the list. How soon can I anticipate being called and how do they contact you? And what is the process if they ask me to come in? Also is there anyway to get updates on where they are as far as the list #'s go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

how soon? maybe within the next year or so.

the process? you will receive a letter by mail with an appointment for a drug screening at livingston. if you pass, you will receive another letter (or a phone call - depending on the needs of the service) with an appointment for a medical screening / pre-interview. if you pass the medical and all your papers are in order on that day, you will get sworn in, receive the rule book (your new bible) and an orientation package with a date for school car to begin.

for updates? call DCAS.

Hello there. I am new here but have been reading all of the post's in regards to the conductor exam. From what I am reading I should be expecting a call from them sometime soon as I scored 100 and am #142 on the list. How soon can I anticipate being called and how do they contact you? And what is the process if they ask me to come in? Also is there anyway to get updates on where they are as far as the list #'s go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure you follow everything they want you to do when you get the call up or else it could delay you.

Hey All this is how they break ties on Civil Service exams. Just as I have said all along.

Civil Service Rule XI(1) further requires, “…if two or more eligibles receive the same final rating, they shall be ranked in order of the last four digits of their social security number.” One reason for this requirement is to determine retention standing in a layoff, from among competitive class employees appointed on the same day from the same eligible list. The last four digits of a social security number which are randomly assigned by the Social Security Administration and this is an impartial method which can be easily replicated in case of a question or challenge.

...Maybe you can try to call Dcas if they have a phone number in NYCT hiring so you can call and ask. You have to remember also, that when dealing with NYCT it's almost impossible to get a straight or correct answer because different people tell you different things.

I doubt their HR will know anything in regards to the situation. I'll just wait 'til the actual medical to find out if my vision is good enough for them.

Archived