Train operator exam

SIBusOperator

At least he put in some time down there. I did hear of a guy around the same age who worked for a surface line in the city. The (MTA) found out that he planed on only working a week or so. As the story goes, he was sent through the ringer and was rejected for an medical reason and the (MTA) told his current employer and he lost both jobs.

Now for a real question, what is the average age of a T/O down there?

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I knew a guy who came down here on the first open competetive test after he already retired from the post office and was collecting social security. He did 5 years to get vested in our pension and retired last year. He was a miserable bastard!

No wonder...he worked for the post office! ;):P (jk)

Any organization would want to minimize the attrition of new hires as they invest a lot of money in training that individual. Certainly younger workers would stay longer, but there is no guarantee of that.

I am curious about the guy who is #1 as T/O. What does he pick for his assignments?

He works in Pitkin Yard on the a.m.'s. He hasn't operated a train outside of pitkin in 20 years. The other a.m. guy in pitkin I think is number 5 or 6 in the system. And a guy who was number 1 in the system who retired about 3 years ago worked Pitkin on the midnights, at that time pitkin had 3 of the top 6 motormen in the system working there.

Now for a real question, what is the average age of a T/O down there?

I don't know but my guess would be mid to late 40's. The first thousand out of around 3800 have 20 years or more in title and worked in at least one previous title.

My guess would be that the average age is going up now too because alot of the open competetive T/O's are older guys.

I knew a guy who came down here on the first open competetive test after he already retired from the post office and was collecting social security. He did 5 years to get vested in our pension and retired last year. He was a miserable bastard!

Jerry? If so, he was a really INTERESTING fellow..

I'm sure Montana or wherever he went wont be the same either.. :eek:

True, but then the Ta would get hit with age discrimination..

BUT, unlike other professions, 6 moths or 30 years, your still getting the same hourly rate of pay..

Is there a salary range for T/O (minimum salary and maximum salary) as there is in civil service titles? I recognize that it is not City employment per se though you're a member of NYCERS. Do you get a longevity pay differential? If not, that really sucks for you guys.

Nothing wrong with collecting 2 pensions but I wonder how much his pension was from only working 5 yrs..10-15k yr?

I don't know but my guess would be mid to late 40's. The first thousand out of around 3800 have 20 years or more in title and worked in at least one previous title.

My guess would be that the average age is going up now too because alot of the open competetive T/O's are older guys.

So it would be safe to assume that not every T/O does 25 yrs and then retires? People want to get the highest pension benefit that they can. Those people that are going to be collecting 2 different pensions are going to have a comfortable retirement as long as they have little or nor debt when they retire.

So it would be safe to assume that not every T/O does 25 yrs and then retires? People want to get the highest pension benefit that they can. Those people that are going to be collecting 2 different pensions are going to have a comfortable retirement as long as they have little or nor debt when they retire.

Most T/O's do MORE than 25 years before retiring because of the age restriction. My guess would be there are around 1000 T/O's with over 25 years on the job but most aren't yet 55. I know a guy who's file number is 2 digits yet he is only 47 years old. He was a C/R at 18 and a T/O at 19 years old.

• 2 weeks later...
is it true that when you get hired, you have to quit your current job even while you're on probation?

That would be most certainly true. I don't think they(MTA)would let you hold down another job. T/O's work a lot of hrs during the work week.

Always try to leave a job on good terms,giving advance notice,etc.

is it true that when you get hired, you have to quit your current job even while you're on probation?

Considering that probation lasts a year, I don't know how you would manage to stay on the other job without working there for a year, unless you are talking about a night job/second job.

No that's not true. You are allowed a second job BUT you need to submit paperwork and it must be approved. We pick twice a year and the paperwork has to be resubmitted and reapproved every pick.

If the second job involves eyesight like driving you will be denied everytime if you're a T/O. If the second job involves physical activity like delivering mail you will be denied everytime.

No that's not true. You are allowed a second job BUT you need to submit paperwork and it must be approved. We pick twice a year and the paperwork has to be resubmitted and reapproved every pick.

If the second job involves eyesight like driving you will be denied everytime if you're a T/O. If the second job involves physical activity like delivering mail you will be denied everytime.

That is what I figured the scenario would be. The last thing they want is a drowsy,sleep deprived T/O. However,what about what you do on your RDO's? They won't know if you are working off the books on your days off.

That is what I figured the scenario would be. The last thing they want is a drowsy,sleep deprived T/O. However,what about what you do on your RDO's? They won't know if you are working off the books on your days off.

If they don't find out your fine. BUT there are alot of RATS working here. Most guys that get caught have been ratted out by jealous co workers. Within the TA a huge percentage of the employees are low lifes. Then you have great people that you will make life long friends out of.

If you get caught they will push for dismissal but most likely won't get it. Just a suspension on your record.

Archived