Train operator exam

SIBusOperator

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

nothing to protect you from falling through? im rather skinny

the gaps on the catwalks arent that big. i think you'll be good.m

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually the (J) line looks like it'd be good to work. It's grown on me over the years. All the nice above ground views, lots of history along the line to look at, and decent run times. Sure there's timers but there's timers everywhere. Not to mention there are plenty of places to eat around Chambers and Parsons. Not sure about Broad St. (I'd imagine it is too) because I haven't gotten out around there in quite some time.

On the (J) you don't have a break on the manhattan end of the run. Especially at chambers where you have to clean out the train and then relay it, leaving you with a couple of minutes before leaving not enough time to go upstairs. On weekends the (J) is one of the worst lines in the system to work along with weekends on the (C) and 5 on the (L).

Actually the (J) line looks like it'd be good to work. It's grown on me over the years. All the nice above ground views, lots of history along the line to look at, and decent run times. Sure there's timers but there's timers everywhere. Plus as DOB said, it's cool looking behind you and seeing the back of your train rounding a curve..must be cool at the Crescent St. curve. Not to mention there are plenty of places to eat around Chambers and Parsons. Not sure about Broad St. (I'd imagine it is too) because I haven't gotten out around there in quite some time.
The (J)/(M) is timer city, especially over the Willy B.

They have there safety vest and a flashlight. If you have to walk around your train on the main line, RCC should also alert trains in the area that your on the tracks. Sometimes T/Os will walk from a station to the yard (Union Turnpike to Jamaica Yard) and according to the rules, when doing this they don't need flagging protection. Also, why would you need rat replant when you have a shoe slipper?

Yeah try swinging a shoe paddle at a rat at 145 St (:((D) you have a family of rats come after you.

Run, run fast and swing at everything! Hell, bring a slice of pizza as a diversion.

Better yet just lace the pizza with cianide and steer clear while they feast...if one gets away from the pack then you shoe paddle him while the rest of the rat family is too busy Dining on Death to notice

If your worried about Rats don't even look at working for NYCT walking with the rats are a way of life.

Speaking about rats,I knew a guy who had a PhD in Rodent Control,he was a nyc exterminator,head of some dept,don't remember.

The only rats to worry about are the rats that talk behind your back on the job,lol.

thank you for all the posts, gentlemen. i guess i'll go with the flow and just do whatever they tell me to. just another question pertaining to the pension: is my city (nycers) pension from other departments (such as a couple of years in DOT, DEP or Parks Dept.) transferrable to the MTA pension system?? or they are two different pension systems?

thank you for all the posts, gentlemen. i guess i'll go with the flow and just do whatever they tell me to. just another question pertaining to the pension: is my city (nycers) pension from other departments (such as a couple of years in DOT, DEP or Parks Dept.) transferrable to the MTA pension system?? or they are two different pension systems?

If you have a NYCERS vested pension already those years will carry over, but the years of service don't count.

In other words you will still have to put in 25 years for the TA to collect a full pension. If anybody is an expert on pensions correct me if I'm wrong.

The TA doesn't count years working for other agencies even though NYCERS does.

If you have a NYCERS vested pension already those years will carry over, but the years of service don't count.

In other words you will still have to put in 25 years for the TA to collect a full pension. If anybody is an expert on pensions correct me if I'm wrong.

The TA doesn't count years working for other agencies even though NYCERS does.

i understand, thank you. it's the same when joining the fire dept. or nypd: you do the 20 years in their departments and whatever you had from other agencies gets counted on top of it when you retire. it'sall clear now, thanks again =)

i understand, thank you. it's the same when joining the fire dept. or nypd: you do the 20 years in their departments and whatever you had from other agencies gets counted on top of it when you retire. it'sall clear now, thanks again =)

I'm pretty sure your time carries over in those agencies. If you work 7 years in NYPD and then transfer to the NYFD you can retire in 14 years.

I'm pretty sure your time carries over in those agencies. If you work 7 years in NYPD and then transfer to the NYFD you can retire in 14 years.

Yes, once you are a member of NYCERS your years of service in any City agency count towards your pension. The pension is with NYCERS not the MTA. There may be special provisions for MTA members, as noted above, but your years of service are counted as one. If you were a member of another pension system within NYS, you can apply to NYCERS to have that credit transferred to NYCERS. Once you are a member, you can buyback previous City service also. I just bought back 15 years of service stretching back to 1986. That was quite costly. And I still have another 5 years to buy back but it is well worth it.

You can also visit http://www.nycers.org and read about this stuff. Their customer information center in downtown Brooklyn is excellent.

Train operators have to do this? I don't think I can handle it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

If the train goes into emergency as a train operator, you'd have to go underneath the train and walk around and clean up in the tunnels. But I did that when I was a station cleaner," Richardson points out. "I would have to walk around the train and look underneath it. They assumed I wouldn't be able to do that because of my weight."

Speaking about rats,I knew a guy who had a PhD in Rodent Control,he was a nyc exterminator,head of some dept,don't remember.

The only rats to worry about are the rats that talk behind your back on the job,lol.

Heh...that's true anywhere, hell I see that more often in "corporate america" that i care to tell about...

Back to the exams test on the 6th. I have a copy of the Civil Service Exams test booklet. A lot of it is algebra. Is this how it's going to be on the T/O exam?

If the T/O is anything like the C/R exam, which it should be, then no, it's going to be basic reading comprehension, basic math and judgment questions.

Yes, once you are a member of NYCERS your years of service in any City agency count towards your pension. The pension is with NYCERS not the MTA. There may be special provisions for MTA members, as noted above, but your years of service are counted as one. If you were a member of another pension system within NYS, you can apply to NYCERS to have that credit transferred to NYCERS. Once you are a member, you can buyback previous City service also. I just bought back 15 years of service stretching back to 1986. That was quite costly. And I still have another 5 years to buy back but it is well worth it.

You can also visit http://www.nycers.org and read about this stuff. Their customer information center in downtown Brooklyn is excellent.

thank you very much - the reason why i am asking is that i already work for the city in another agency and once i become a T/O i'd like know what options i'm going to get with my nycers (i believe i've got the 25/55 plan - "physically taxing" title)

i am taking this also maybe get lucky before the but i have a freind that is on the a line he said dont buy the book just get a good night of sleep the day before relax its not a hard test its common sense questions

Basically.

Archived