Artics at MTA Bus

nycbusfan

• 3 weeks later...
any chance of Far Rockaway getting about 5 of these? The Q22 is like a sardine can at times. especially on those Low Floors

We don't have too many to spare at NYCTA/MaBSTOA. When the new ones start rolling in, we shall see where they go. The MTA should make getting artics a priority over the 40ft buses. The 40fts only replace older 40ft buses, but add no capacity, as the first arrive. An artic does.

We don't have too many to spare at NYCTA/MaBSTOA. When the new ones start rolling in, we shall see where they go. The MTA should make getting artics a priority over the 40ft buses. The 40fts only replace older 40ft buses, but add no capacity, as the first arrive. An artic does.

and the 40ft buses they get to replace the older ones actually take away capacity! who are they getting Artics from? the only companys that still build HF artics is New Flyer and NABI.

and the 40ft buses they get to replace the older ones actually take away capacity! who are they getting Artics from? the only companys that still build HF artics is New Flyer and NABI.

New Flyer is no longer making high floor artics, However the MTA wants low floor artics.

They will be low floors. I know of the Van-Hool AG300 they looked at, but actually never tested. I heard they tested the Novabus LFS artic. On some other boards, some members said they seen, water barrels etc...in the Novabus. That would be to mimick the stress an actual bus would feel with a crush load. The Van-Hool has issues, like with most front seats perched atop a platform, due to the under floor engine. That would be an ADA issue, by MTA standards. At least the LFS is set up like the Orion VII. The only raised seats are in the ends of each unit.

Here are some pics of Novabus LFS Artics, courtesy of gmtransit.fotopic.net, and the photographers:

http://gmtransit.fotopic.net/c1265589_1.html

Yeah I was the one who first saw the LFS Artic testing. Its about time though that the artics are coming to MTA Bus. But I don't really see much of a choice other than New Flyer. I agree with DOB2RTO, artics should be a bit more of a priority. Think about it the hybrids seat less than the high floors which pretty much defeats the point of buying buses. Hopefully NYCTA can order some artics soon.

Yeah I was the one who first saw the LFS Artic testing. Its about time though that the artics are coming to MTA Bus. But I don't really see much of a choice other than New Flyer. I agree with DOB2RTO, artics should be a bit more of a priority. Think about it the hybrids seat less than the high floors which pretty much defeats the point of buying buses. Hopefully NYCTA can order some artics soon.

Sad thing remember they did test a low-floor New Flyer on the M23. They had the bus at Quill Depot. They rejected it. I think the Novabus will be it. Whatever it is, it better have 3 doors. I was hoping I remembered correctly, that it was said to be seen. Thanks for the confirmation.

Last did the one they tested look like the one in the pics I linked?

• 3 months later...
82 new artics are being delivered and all are for NYCTA. So the buses 1000 to 1069 is going to be transfered.

Any idea of which depots would get them?

Rumor around KB says 80 new buses are due to arrive this year to the depot. Hope I ain't there for it, but over with Dave, and the 2 R's, not in their current division though.......

Are they doing any O7 training at KB yet?

Rumor around KB says 80 new buses are due to arrive this year to the depot. Hope I ain't there for it, but over with Dave, and the 2 R's, not in their current division though.......

80? that's it? and from Nova? didn't they reject the LFS back in the mid 90's? and im sure all 80 aren't going to just one depot! maybe to accept delivery.

How about some MAN (a Munich manufacturer) Lion's City 60ft low-floor artics for the NYCTA? :) :)

I think they'd look pretty cool on the streets of New York:

http://touringcarteamov.fotopic.net/p45457378.html and here: http://touringcarteamov.fotopic.net/p45457324.html

(Pictures not taken by me)

Ya, it would be really cool to have MAN buses running in NY.

Actually not the 1st person to mention about bringing MAN artics to NY.

MTA should really try to get one to try out.

How about some MAN (a Munich manufacturer) Lion's City 60ft low-floor artics for the NYCTA? :) :)

I think they'd look pretty cool on the streets of New York:

http://touringcarteamov.fotopic.net/p45457378.html and here: http://touringcarteamov.fotopic.net/p45457324.html

(Pictures not taken by me)

Those things look longer than 60ft. :eek: They do look rather nice.

Those things look longer than 60ft. :eek: They do look rather nice.
Yes, they look rather stretched, but they are the usual 18 metres of length, which is 59,05 ft (so they are actually even a bit shorter than 60ft).

This year, Munich will get 14 new artics from Mercedes-Benz and 4 from Solaris, a polish manufacturer.

There's only 1 route I hope they dont put the artics on, thats the Q41 lol. They have extremely tight turns along 127th street. I lived there for 5 years and their turns would get artics suck inbetween the streets. I'd like to see them on the Q10, too many O5s and O7s at airports, we need artics at the airports!!!

Archived