R188 Arrival on the 7 line

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh at first I didn't realize that this was just for the letter lines (is that BMT, IND, or IRT?), I keep forgetting that they're separate. It'd be nice if it got a little face lift, I don't really like when things start looking monotonous.

No, I don't think there will be any major changes because as with the B division example, the cars are basically the same car body wise inside and out. So there'll still be the: bright lights, 'lumped' seats, double door storm doors. And because they need extra B-cars to insert into a 5-car set, they must be compatible so they'll need at least a similar propulsion system.

I guess were gonna lose another RFW on the (7)<7>

You will still get an RFW view but just via the T/O cab, which ill suck too since im noticing some R160s/142s having newspaper covering up the damn view!:mad:

Yeah, but I think MTA may want (6) and <6> exclusive to R142 and R142A. The reason is that (6) and <6> are the first line to get R142A, and (4) is the last line to get both R142 and R142A.

Westchester houses R142A only bro.

Also besides Flatbush the (2)(5) does swap at 239th St Yard.

Westchester houses R142A only bro.

That is right now. When swaps begin, R142 from Jerome Av Yard should go to Westchester Yard, while Jerome Av Yard gets R62A from Corona Yard in exchange with R142A slated for CBTC conversion.

The problem is, either way, there will be 5 leftover 10-car sets of R142. To balance out the models' line usage while not exceeding the capacity limits, few of R142 would go to E 180 St/Unionport Yards while E 180 St/Unionport Yards would send the first few sets to 239 St Yard.

I don't doubt that, I expect them to move the remaining R142A sets on the (6) to the (4) to make the (4) mostly R142As and in turn make the (6) a mix of R142s and R62As.

IRT's mix-up of models within single line would not be a good idea.

Excluding the 42 St Shuttle, each of the A Division Yards operate only one line. It would not be good for (6) operators to drive a train that they didn't in years (like for 7-8 years if this was (6)) (What I mean is that they may require new training).

(4)'s last usage of R62/R62A was before 42 St Shuttle was transferred from Livonia Yard to Jerome Av Yard (don't know when exactly, but it is in recent years), when capacity limit prevented few R62 to be at Livonia Yard and settled instead at Jerome Av Yard. With operation of 42 St Shuttle transferred, each IRT lines now have only one alike-type models (R62 & R62A or R142 & R142A). (4) operators may still have ability to operate R62A.

Plus, single cars from Corona Yard can be used for 42 St Shuttle's middle cars. They can put ANY non-full-cabbed R62A single cars as middle car if R62A from Corona Yard transferred to Jerome Av Yard.

IRT's mix-up of models within single line would not be a good idea.

Excluding the 42 St Shuttle, each of the A Division Yards operate only one line. It would not be good for (6) operators to drive a train that they didn't in years (like for 7-8 years if this was (6)) (What I mean is that they may require new training).

(4)'s last usage of R62/R62A was before 42 St Shuttle was transferred from Livonia Yard to Jerome Av Yard (don't know when exactly, but it is in recent years), when capacity limit prevented few R62 to be at Livonia Yard and settled instead at Jerome Av Yard. With operation of 42 St Shuttle transferred, each IRT lines now have only one alike-type models (R62 & R62A or R142 & R142A). (4) operators may still have ability to operate R62A.

Plus, single cars from Corona Yard can be used for 42 St Shuttle's middle cars. They can put ANY non-full-cabbed R62A single cars as middle car if R62A from Corona Yard transferred to Jerome Av Yard.

Putting R62As back on the (6) is not a big deal. Sure you may need to retrain crews to get used to it again, but I don't think they would take R142s off the (4) entirely. It's because those trains have wider doors and are needed more on the (4) than on the (6). I think it is best to keep the R142As on the (4). At least with the (6), those LEDs on the R62As would be better used for the (6) and <6>.

As for the GCS, the cars still have to switch over to the downtown local tracks to get back to track 1 and 3. So it really doesn't mean Westchester yard can't take over the Shuttle from Jerome yard. The only reason the (4) has it is because it is not 100% of one train type like the (6) is.

But that said, let's just wait and see. It happens it happens, if not then it doesnt.

I think this would be a good idea:

Have the R62A singles go back to the (3) as well as the linked R62A's and send the R62's back to the (4) have the (4) have both R62's and R142's, Those R142A's on the (4) will be the 1st R142A's to go to the (4) especialy the R142S, Those have the CBTC kit.

Or lets just wait and see in 2011 what they are going to do.

But I doubt the (6) will get the R62A's back, I mean look at the Line, Do you think the crews would want to do a full Round trip on an R62A from Pelham bay thru Brooklyn Bridge back to pelham bay, How about no, Think of the crews and passengers that use the (6)/<6>, It would be smart to to have all the r62's on 7th ave and have all the NTT's on the Lexington due to the Lexington ave line having crowd issues.

I don't see why they need to put R62As back on the (3). R62s makes sense for the (3) because the (3) is an 18/7 line and I think the R62As are better suited for a more demanding line much like the (4) or (6).

But I would think they would link the single R62A units into 5-car sets - meaning full width cabs anyway. I still disagree about R62As on the (2) because of Flatbush Av the way the (N)/(W) are almost 95% R160s due to Astoria-Ditmars.

If, If and If (im not saying its going to happen) they put all 409 R62As on the (6) they mind as well make the (6) 100% R62/A by grapping 60 R62s from the (3). By time this happens the (Q) to 96th St should be completed so overcrowding shouldn't be much of a issue. This is in my opinion...... like i said before

- 60 R62s to the (6) and also

- 40 R62s to the (1) and replace

- 100 R62s that was on the (3) with the 100 leftover R142As from the (6).

* the recent draft said 350 R142As to be converted so that leaves 110 leftover R142As

With more trains on the more trains and capacity on the (1) and (3), it resolves the statement that had something to do w/ fleet increase on the Broadway-Seventh (1)(2)(3) lines in one of the MTA reports.

It would be smart to to have all the r62's on 7th ave and have all the NTT's on the Lexington due to the Lexington ave line having crowd issues.

That is impossible. Even though (2) and (5) are operated by different yards, they switch cars at either 239 St Yard or Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av Nostrand Av Line Station. If (5) is 100% NTTs, (2) also have to use NTTs. Think carefully about that.

I don't see why they need to put R62As back on the (3). R62s makes sense for the (3) because the (3) is an 18/7 line and I think the R62As are better suited for a more demanding line much like the (4) or (6).

But I would think they would link the single R62A units into 5-car sets - meaning full width cabs anyway. I still disagree about R62As on the (2) because of Flatbush Av the way the (N)/(W) are almost 95% R160s due to Astoria-Ditmars.

(3) is actually 24/7 line, except nights they only run between Harlem-148 St-Lenox Terminal Lenox Av Line Station and Times Sq-42 St Broadway-7 Av Line Station.

The only reason the (4) has it is because it is not 100% of one train type like the (6) is.

I did not say 100% of one train model. The alike-type cars/models means either both R62 and R62A or both R142 and R142A.

Mixing up with R142 and R142A is better than mixing up with R142/R142A and R62A.

Also, if (6)<6> gets R62A (not all of them), that will still result in (4) getting 140-170 of R62As (one car will have to come off from 42 St Shuttle) if (6)<6> keeps all of their R142As not slated for CBTC conversion (which is less than half, but still a lot). Again, mixing up models that are not alike on IRT lines is not a good idea.

I really don't like the idea of NTTs on the (7)<7> because I would lose my RFW. But if Corona's r62a are sent to other yard would it be possible for other IRT lines to get the RFW on atleast one direction or would they gonna set it up so that there is full cab on both ends?

I really don't like the idea of NTTs on the (7)<7> because I would lose my RFW. But if Corona's r62a are sent to other yard would it be possible for other IRT lines to get the RFW on atleast one direction or would they gonna set it up so that there is full cab on both ends?

It would more likely be a 5-car set on whatever half the conductor is on, and the other half all singles (if this was (4), 5-car set will go on Woodlawn side, since conductor's car is the 5th car from Woodlawn side). It is because it will be 205 single cars (after 42 St Shuttle gives up 1 single car) and 41 5-car sets (totalling 205 cars).

(3) is actually 24/7 line, except nights they only run between Harlem-148 St-Lenox Terminal Lenox Av Line Station and Times Sq-42 St Broadway-7 Av Line Station.

Ok, so it's a glorified shuttle late at night then.

I still respectfully disagree about making the (4) R62As only because R142/As have wider doors and are better suited for the (4) than the (6).

Ok, so it's a glorified shuttle late at night then.

I still respectfully disagree about making the (4) R62As only because R142/As have wider doors and are better suited for the (4) than the (6).

It's okay to disagree because who knows what happens?. It's all opinions.

My thought is based on number, size, and usage of fleets and yard's roster.

What's the progress on CBTC on the (7)? The new 2011-2014 capital plan proposal says that the final work (removing the old hardware) will be done in 2011-2012, so the system must be done before then.

Mass shuttle bussings have not begun yet...

It's okay to disagree because who knows what happens?. It's all opinions.

My thought is based on number, size, and usage of fleets and yard's roster.

That's true and good to know.

Good point, I'm just basing things off of memory - I haven't looked at the roster list in a while now.

What's the progress on CBTC on the (7)? The new 2011-2014 capital plan proposal says that the final work (removing the old hardware) will be done in 2011-2012, so the system must be done before then.

Mass shuttle bussings have not begun yet...

No, it won't be done until 2016 or so.

After MTA removes old signal hardware, they have to do whatever actions necessary to install CBTC compability to signals. Just installing new signal hardware and then removing old ones doesn't mean it is CBTC-ready.

Oh, and it is actually 2010-2014 capital plan/program. You must have mistyped the number.

Archived