R188 Arrival on the 7 line

What's the progress on CBTC on the (7)? The new 2011-2014 capital plan proposal says that the final work (removing the old hardware) will be done in 2011-2012, so the system must be done before then.

Mass shuttle bussings have not begun yet...

(MTA) just chose the contractor for the (7) line cbtc job. it wont start for at least another 5-6 months.i know this for a fact because i was told by one of the contractors that won the bid. this project will take years, by then the 142's on the (6)will be useless. they break down all the time.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(MTA) just chose the contractor for the (7) line cbtc job. it wont start for at least another 5-6 months.i know this for a fact because i was told by one of the contractors that won the bid. this project will take years, by then the 142's on the (6)will be useless. they break down all the time.

Well even if (6)<6> gets R62A from Corona Yard, some R142A will have to stay there since it is not enough to cover (6)<6>. And that is why I think (6)<6> getting R62A is not a good idea.

Isn't it a little too soon for us to speculate? Just because we got word that the order is signed doesn't mean that we should immediately go on to guess where the R142As would be taken out from.

And also, IIRC, the contract calls for 1 existing train of 10 cars and 23 new units to be either made or fully converted. And that there is going to be an option in the future, which can mean these are pre-production cars that would be tested to see if everything is right on the (7), and that if everything is alright, the other cars/trains will be done.

It would be smart to to have all the r62's on 7th ave and have all the NTT's on the Lexington due to the Lexington ave line having crowd issues.

No it would not. It would not be smart to have the (2) and (5) lines - which share a substantial amount of trackage and a Brooklyn terminal - have two different fleets of cars. R142s from one line show up on the other all the time. What happens if there's a delay in (5) service and all that's available at Flatbush are R62As? Will (5) crews be expected to carry brake handles so they can operate 62s to cover gaps in 5 service? Or will (5) service just suffer? That's just one reason both the (2) and (5) lines should run the same type of trains. They almost always have. Why change that now?

You could always operate both lines with R62As, but I doubt there's enough on the (7) now to fully equip both lines.

No it would not. It would not be smart to have the (2) and (5) lines - which share a substantial amount of trackage and a Brooklyn terminal - have two different fleets of cars. R142s from one line show up on the other all the time. What happens if there's a delay in (5) service and all that's available at Flatbush are R62As? Will (5) crews be expected to carry brake handles so they can operate 62s to cover gaps in 5 service? Or will (5) service just suffer? That's just one reason both the (2) and (5) lines should run the same type of trains. They almost always have. Why change that now?

You could always operate both lines with R62As, but I doubt there's enough on the (7) now to fully equip both lines.

Right, Corona Yard has only 409 cars, which is totally too short to cover (2) and (5), and (6), unless they mix cars up (which is not a good idea).

5-6 months?:eek: I expected more like 12-14 months. How long did the (L) project take from start of construction to start of busing?

5-6 months?:eek: I expected more like 12-14 months. How long did the (L) project take from start of construction to start of busing?

I can't give a finite schedule, but it could take longer because there are 3 tracks to work around with. They will probably CBTC the express track first. Then work around portion by portion.

they will begin the project in 5-6months. that does not mean the construction will start at that time. they still have to do countless surveys and other prep work.which will start in 5-6 months. if anyone is interested the contractor is comstock. the same people that did the signal job at corona yard, canal on the (A) and 180 yard.

409 R62As are enough to cover the (2) or (5) alone but not both at the same time. But 409 is just enough to cover the (4)

Either way, (2) and (5) switches lines in between at either 239 St Yard or Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av Nostrand Av Line Station, so even though it is enough alone, it is not a good idea to put them on neither of these lines. What I mean is that it is easier to change signs when they are digital than roll signs.

They will probably CBTC the express track first.

Make sense, because usually, express trains are more crowded than local trains.

But on the other hand, <7> only runs in rush hours, in peak direction. Non rush hours or rush hours in reverse-peak direction, they have to rely on fixed block signals, which can delay the Flushing Line service if there is a congestion or whatever incident.

Make sense, because usually, express trains are more crowded than local trains.

But on the other hand, <7> only runs in rush hours, in peak direction. Non rush hours or rush hours in reverse-peak direction, they have to rely on fixed block signals, which can delay the Flushing Line service if there is a congestion or whatever incident.

Also, since the express track is not in use during the weekends, there won't be many GOs. They could also work during the midday period where there is no express service yet. So it won't hurt as much. However, once they start working on the local tracks, all hell is going to break loose.

So I got stuck on the (A) between 125th and 59th on saturday for 1.5 hours due to some switch problems at 59th, and there just happened to be someone on the train that works up at the Kawasaki plant with me, and we talked. It was pretty interesting. He's installed trucks and doors on the R160's and doors on the first 35 PA-5 cars. But even he thinks the R160's are crap. Said they make them too fast. Anyway, I asked about the R188 contract and he said there was a prototype (?????) sitting out by the Bedford Park Boulevard – Lehman College station on the (4) line? I wasn't too sure what he was talking about... so i'm planning to go up there next time i'm in the city to check it out. Was wondering if someone around here knows about it...

EDIT: oh wait, i know, he's getting them confused with the R110A prototype cars that got transfered there recently.

So I got stuck on the (A) between 125th and 59th on saturday for 1.5 hours due to some switch problems at 59th, and there just happened to be someone on the train that works up at the Kawasaki plant with me, and we talked. It was pretty interesting. He's installed trucks and doors on the R160's and doors on the first 35 PA-5 cars. But even he thinks the R160's are crap. Said they make them too fast. Anyway, I asked about the R188 contract and he said there was a prototype (?????) sitting out by the Bedford Park Boulevard – Lehman College station on the (4) line? I wasn't too sure what he was talking about... so i'm planning to go up there next time i'm in the city to check it out. Was wondering if someone around here knows about it...

EDIT: oh wait, i know, he's getting them confused with the R110A prototype cars that got transfered there recently.

Yeah, the R110A has been sitting out at Concourse for some time. Thinking about it, it is a prototype because it was the forerunner to the NTTs.

Well folks.Who thinks the R-160 will make it to 40.?:(

Here is another reason why putting R62A on (6)<6> is not a good idea.

At Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall Lexington Av Line Station, (6)<6> uses loop to switch direction. Train cannot switch direction at station, right?. The trainset must be in this configuration after R62A from Corona Yard got transferred:

5-car set on one half

5 single cars on other half

It is improper to have more than one possible location of the conductors car (either 5th or 6th car), and it is easier to switch sides for opening door when it is full-width cab instead of half-width cab. Even though the LED indicator (green ○ or red ◊) is useful on (6)<6>, you also need to think of limits like that.

At Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall Lexington Av Line Station, (6)<6> uses loop to switch direction. Train cannot switch direction at station, right?. The trainset must be in this configuration after R62A from Corona Yard got transferred:

5-car set on one half

It is improper to have more than one possible location of the conductors car (either 5th or 6th car), and it is easier to switch sides for opening door when it is full-width cab instead of half-width cab. Even though the LED indicator (green ○ or red ◊) is useful on (6)<6>, you also need to think of limits like that.

Good point. It's not going to pleasant for crews. But if you place them on the likes like the 2, 4 or 5, other problems may arise.

Good point. It's not going to pleasant for crews. But if you place them on the likes like the 2, 4 or 5, other problems may arise.

The problem may arise, but (4) is the only line that is a best fit because:

(1)(3)(S): Already uses R62/R62A

(2)(5): Trains switch lines at either 239 St Yard or Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av Nostrand Av Line Station

(6)<6>: See above

Even though wide doors are needed on (4) for heavy loads of passengers, other lines' limits/factors prevent it from retaining this mandation. And (4) have used to operate R62/R62A in the recent history.

Sorry, (4) passengers, you may need to deal with 4'2" doors (R142/R142A door width is 4'6") in the future. MTA cannot just think of passengers' service. MTA must also think of crews and capacities of the yards.

PS: If there is a service disruption, it is okay to have more than one possible location of conductor's car, but it is improper to have that during the normal operation.

5-car set on one half

As someone told me: chances are, the R62A sets would be arranged into 5-car sets and linked. There are still enough singles for the shuttle so only the 2001-2150 cars needs to be linked and they can leave the 1900s as singles.

Also the (6) ran redbirds for years, so it's not like a 1/3 cab would be that big a deal.

The problem may arise, but (4) is the only line that is a best fit because:

(1)(3)(S): Already uses R62/R62A

(2)(5): Trains switch lines at either 239 St Yard or Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av Nostrand Av Line Station

(6)<6>: See above

Even though wide doors are needed on (4) for heavy loads of passengers, other lines' limits/factors prevent it from retaining this mandation. And (4) have used to operate R62/R62A in the recent history.

Sorry, (4) passengers, you may need to deal with 4'2" doors (R142/R142A door width is 4'6") in the future. MTA cannot just think of passengers' service. MTA must also think of crews and capacities of the yards.

PS: If there is a service disruption, it is okay to have more than one possible location of conductor's car, but it is improper to have that during the normal operation.

The concern about the (4) is that smaller doors can affect the loading. And if the loading could cause any delays, it could mess up the whole Lex line.

Archived