R188 Arrival on the 7 line

Should'nt the (MTA) close the budget gap first instead of ordering the R188's unless these cars are desperatly needed or am I missing something here?

After all the speculation finally a post with intelligence and perception. The (MTA) is supposedly cutting service and laying off workers due to a budget deficit. I know the difference between capital and operating budgets but....IMO this whole scheme stinks to high heaven. If the swap and conversions go through where will the extra cars be utilized? It has been said that the west side lines (1), (2), and (3) would get extra service with the car surplus projected but at the moment the (MTA) is CUTTING service. They're projecting deficits for the next 5 years or so. Do they plan on storing the extra cars somewhere until they get their finances in order ? It makes more sense to hold off on this plan until everything gets sorted out. If anything convert a few cars and test the CBTC system first. Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must be the only one who does NOT want to see the R62A's back on the (6) and I don't mind. They were great there back in the day but the R142A's are a better fit for the line because of the bigger doors and them not being right across from each other and other things. Of course, I'll have to get over it but it doesn't mean I have to like it. The (7) should get their own cars they should not be swapping with another line for this silly CBTC bullshit. I'm sorry I'm not a fan of this whole R188 crap.

Neither am I. I really liked R142As on the (6)<6>. I do hope there will be at least some left...

(From Wikipedia:) The R142A conversion set from the base order is scheduled to be completed during the 4th quarter of 2011 while the 23 new cars are scheduled for delivery by the 4th quarter of 2012. The 88 new option cars (ten 11 car sets) are scheduled to be delivered from the 4th quarter of 2013 through the 2nd quarter of 2014 while the remaining 35 new cars and the 350 conversions are scheduled for delivery and conversion from the 1st quarter of 2014 through the 4th quarter of 2015.

My question is when are the R142As leaving the (6)<6> for conversion? Also, what will the (6)<6> more likely get: R142/A or R142A/R62A? One more question: the total number of the cars in the contract is 506. The corona yard currently has 409 cars. Does it need so many cars? Will it be able to handle them?

The IRT already has a bit of a fleet shortage.

Also to get cars in by the time the 7 extension opens, cars need to be ordered now.

If they can't afford it, And they are short, Damnit Bring Back the Redbirds, You have around 62 R33WF singles, and about 8 Non museum R33ML cars.

I have seen other transit agency bring back old equipment that was past 5 years old, If they can do it, The TA can do it.

If they can't afford it, And they are short, Damnit Bring Back the Redbirds, You have around 62 R33WF singles, and about 8 Non museum R33ML cars.

I have seen other transit agency bring back old equipment that was past 5 years old, If they can do it, The TA can do it.

But they're not the TA...they probably have more sense and isnt run by hamsters lol

If the MTA were absolutely unable to scrape together IRT cars for 7 service, they could theoretically run a number of redbirds. The following is a list of what I think could reasonably be made operational

1 R17

1 R22

2 R26

2 R28

2 R29

18 R33ML(4 more off property)

36 R33WF

2 R36ML

8 R36WF

72 cars total on property(76 including the 4 off property ML's)

You'd need to repaint nearly all of them, and over half aren't air conditioned.

Also, most are in use as various types of work equipment. Probably isnt sensible unless there is some disaster.

Perhaps the Path PA4s could be tested on the IRT?

That would be a cheap source of new cars.

Either way, I think the most sensible thing for the MTA to do is go ahead with a new order of A division cars.

Perhaps the Path PA4s could be tested on the IRT?

That would be a cheap source of new cars.

Either way, I think the most sensible thing for the MTA to do is go ahead with a new order of A division cars.

IIRC the PATH loading guage is in between the A division loading guage and the B division loading guage (8'7'' < 9'2'' < 9'9''), so though it would be nice to see PA-4's on the IRT, it's not happening unless platforms get shaved, and that would be prohibitively expensive.:P

I hope they don't look like the R142's? and R160's, its not that I don't like their design (I actually do) but its time for a new look.

Concidering there was no change between the R143 and R160 [and those are incompatible], I think these R188s will look almost the same as the R142As. The only change would probably be the FIND.

Should'nt the (MTA) close the budget gap first instead of ordering the R188's unless these cars are desperatly needed or am I missing something here?

Good question. Those "Watch the Gap" advertisements should be posted all over the office walls of (mis)management. What the hell? Does anyone really think they can close can the gap when they can't even watch it? :P

After all the speculation finally a post with intelligence and perception. The (MTA) is supposedly cutting service and laying off workers due to a budget deficit. I know the difference between capital and operating budgets but....IMO this whole scheme stinks to high heaven. If the swap and conversions go through where will the extra cars be utilized? It has been said that the west side lines (1), (2), and (3) would get extra service with the car surplus projected but at the moment the (MTA) is CUTTING service. They're projecting deficits for the next 5 years or so. Do they plan on storing the extra cars somewhere until they get their finances in order ? It makes more sense to hold off on this plan until everything gets sorted out. If anything convert a few cars and test the CBTC system first. Just my 2 cents.

That b.s. happens where I am as well. I have to fill out a request form every morning to get a pair of foam earplugs. Meanwhile, meetings and dinners are held where managers sit down to silverware engraved with my agency's emblem, plates with the same emblem painted onto the face and foil-wrapped butter in the shape of that emblem. These same meetings also discuss the need to eliminate nearly 13% of my agency before 1 July 2010 and another 12% or so by 1 July 2011, during which time an ongoing hiring freeze has been lengthened. But, see, that's fine, because the the utensils are shiny, the plates are spotless, the butter is soft and the bread is fresh and warm.

Trainmaster, you and everyone else keep forgetting that Jay Walder and his posse have this entire mess all mapped out. They know what to expect next and they're positive that whether the budget isn't even close to be balanced, stations are falling apart or contracts have to be awarded for new infrastructure and revenue equipment, just please remember this one thing: It's all the fault of those lazy, unskilled and rude workers who hold "antiquated titles," and those employees are exactly the reason why fares are increasing while service is doing just the opposite. :P

Unfortunately, an enormous percentage of the public buys into this type of nonsense and diatribe.

(From Wikipedia:) The R142A conversion set from the base order is scheduled to be completed during the 4th quarter of 2011 while the 23 new cars are scheduled for delivery by the 4th quarter of 2012. The 88 new option cars (ten 11 car sets) are scheduled to be delivered from the 4th quarter of 2013 through the 2nd quarter of 2014 while the remaining 35 new cars and the 350 conversions are scheduled for delivery and conversion from the 1st quarter of 2014 through the 4th quarter of 2015.

My question is when are the R142As leaving the (6)<6> for conversion? Also, what will the (6)<6> more likely get: R142/A or R142A/R62A? One more question: the total number of the cars in the contract is 506. The corona yard currently has 409 cars. Does it need so many cars? Will it be able to handle them?

No offense to you or anyone else, but until you see anything for yourself, ESPECIALLY when dealing with governmental agencies and authorities, just consider anything that you hear to be just that and nothing more. And even if you see something, don't say something, because there is still an excellent chance that you'll never see it again. :confused:

Are the R188 cars going to have plastic strip map cards of Find display signs, like the R160s?

We don't know yet. But I don't think it matters at all. It's not like the (7) and <7> shares trains with any other line, so I don't think a FIND is necessary. Those strip maps work fine.

Concidering there was no change between the R143 and R160 [and those are incompatible], I think these R188s will look almost the same as the R142As. The only change would probably be the FIND.

What kind of propulsion will the R188 have, since the old propulsion is no longer being made? Will they change the propulsion on the modified R142As?

Yes, but the total number of R188 ordered is 506, more than what the (7) has now and more than the (6)...

+if the cbtc does work,they will use a bit more cars. honestly,i think the R188 will looks just like the R142A,becuase,there only addon cars.so what sesnse does it make to make 1 car look new and the other 10 look old?

Archived