MTA workers didn't do thousands of subway safety checks on time, filed bogus reports, sources say

Harry

Thousands of crucial subway safety inspections weren't done on time and workers filed scores of bogus reports to cover their tracks, sources said Friday.

For years, signals division workers inspected far fewer pieces of equipment in the system than they reported, according to sources.

The MTA Inspector General's office and NYC Transit Office of System Safety have been investigating the operations of the signals division for several months, interviewing dozens of front-line workers and supervisors, transit and union sources said.

The head of the signals division was reassigned a few weeks ago in a shake-up of leadership, according to an agency memo.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/19/2010-11-19_mta_workers_didnt_do_thousands_of_subway_safety_checks_on_time_filed_bogus_repor.html#ixzz15nAGjVIx

post-1-133288582278_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582278_thumb.jpg

It STARTS UP TOP People!!!!!

Nothing is done down here unless its in writing and supervision is made aware of it.

So before you (MTA) worker haters who post here open your mouths understand this.

Somebody went to the IG with this, and leaked it to the press.

well it contract time,MTA is doing everything in it's power to paint us as EVIL over payed workers. watch you back, there gunning for us
Contract has nothing to do with this FLEX as Superintendents are unionless he should be fired they have his picture in the NY Republican Post if you are blatantly forcing people to falsify reports then their is a problem people lives are at stake

I don't blame the Signal Maintainers at all and if one of them went to the Inspector General good it's time for management to feel the heat how dare you tell somebody they are not eligble for overtime if they don't falsify documents real sick

This is basically telling me that I risk my life five days a week, riding the subway!!!!! SMFH x 1,000,000

You risk your life five days a week going outside. Theres always the chance you could be hit by a bus, stabbed/killed for any random reason, have a freak accident, get hit by lightning, be in a terrorist attack, or worse. This is just another minute risk caused by overzealous and incompetent supervisors.

Lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

This is basically telling me that I risk my life five days a week, riding the subway!!!!! SMFH x 1,000,000

Um no, if you knew anything about the signal system you would know that if a signal fails, it trips the train. All this really means is that there were delays that could have been prevented because signals failed.

As usual people who have NO understanding of what goes on down here.And as usual,people overeact to hysterical levels.

FIRST of all,IF there is a signal malfunction,the T/O is going to STOP and STAY upon observing said signal,call CC and get directions on how to proceed which will most likely be with RESTRICTED SPEED AND EXTREME CAUTION!!!!!!

SECOND of all,IF there was truly a Signal malfunction that was deemed to be UNSAFE for train traffic,that area would be taken out of service IMMEDIATELY until said malfunction was fixed.

Of course most of the uninformed are going to listen to whatever the pleasant looking male or female on the TV tells them,which is almost always 100% wrong.

As usual people who have NO understanding of what goes on down here.And as usual,people overeact to hysterical levels.

FIRST of all,IF there is a signal malfunction,the T/O is going to STOP and STAY upon observing said signal,call CC and get directions on how to proceed which will most likely be with RESTRICTED SPEED AND EXTREME CAUTION!!!!!!

SECOND of all,IF there was truly a Signal malfunction that was deemed to be UNSAFE for train traffic,that area would be taken out of service IMMEDIATELY until said malfunction was fixed.

Of course most of the uninformed are going to listen to whatever the pleasant looking male or female on the TV tells them,which is almost always 100% wrong.

Andrew,

That why people like you are on here so we can understand what is truth or not.

Remember, if you do not do the job, how can you really understand it.

S/F,

CEYA!

This is very sad but true. When I was a ci I would always remind my ms1 that I was writing everything down in my butcher book. Some times people feel making service is more important then safety . To all t/o yes some trains are out there that are on the border of good to go & pull it its got to get worked out. In a effort to save money they increased safety inspection periods from 9k to 12k I think they should be in sooner . You would be surprised to see these things after a run.

• 2 weeks later...

That article was nothing..............the Post was all over that shit.........i personally think that a few rotten apples are spoiling it for the whole bunch and that does not reflect the dept. as a whole. Sounds to me some1 is being a little cry baby and to get back they went to Post over exageratting the story........

its a disgrace because it brings a bad name to everyone on the job...even the guys who go out there and bust their hump

Archived