Tunneling to Begin in Queens for East Side Access Project

MTA officials have dedicated two tunnel boring machines that will create four tunnels under Sunnyside Yard in Queens, connecting the tracks of the Long Island Rail Road Main Line with the tunnel under the East River that leads to Grand Central Terminal. The tunnels, to be completed in October 2012, are the last to be built as part of the East Side Access project. The machines, named Tess and Molina by sixth graders at I.S. 204 in Long Island City, will start to mine next month.

Two separate machines that are excavating tunnels and caverns in the bedrock under Manhattan are on schedule to complete their work this May. After the completion of the overall project in 2016, LIRR trains traveling through Sunnyside will be able to travel directly to Grand Central Terminal.

Read more: http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=211

I wish they'd get SAS done first, otherwise crowds are going to go up on the Lex Av Lines.

As Dman says, You got the M15 SBS, be glade. The MTA needs that ESA. If u were to KNOW more about Railroads u would KNOW more about whats going on..

Just like on NJT/Amtrak side, instead of the damn (7) line going to NJ, Thank god Amtrak is building the Gateway tunnel to help fix up the headways in the Hudson Tunnels.

As Dman says, You got the M15 SBS, be glade. The MTA needs that ESA. If u were to KNOW more about Railroads u would KNOW more about whats going on..

Just like on NJT/Amtrak side, instead of the damn (7) line going to NJ, Thank god Amtrak is building the Gateway tunnel to help fix up the headways in the Hudson Tunnels.

be an air freshener?! ;)

Anyways I am starting to learn MORE about railroads. And yes, money well spent.

i saw an episode of the underworlds new york and it showed what the station is going to look like once the lirr is connected to grand central. its going to be 8 tracks with 4 platforms 3 levels. the middle level is the mezzanine for the lirr with ticket vending machines shops etc... the upper level on top of the mezzanine will be 4 tracks 2 island platforms and same configuration for the lower level. im going to see if i can find the link to the video so yall can see it okay? okay

I cant imagine if something went wrong on the Park Ave Mainline which caused problems for the MNR to go down, can the New Haven Line also access the ESA?

be an air freshener?! ;)

Anyways I am starting to learn MORE about railroads. And yes, money well spent.

uhhh yeah...

It is so inconvenient to have to go to Penn Station to get the LIRR when I'm near Grand Central. I'm wondering why it took so long for this to be thought of??? In other words, this was never thought of previously and then canned? On that note why is there so much more subway access on the West side and so little on the East side? I know that the Second Avenue subway was canned a while back but still, even with the SAS up and running, the amount of options on the East Side pales in comparison to what exists on the West Side.

I thought they were done boring the Tunnels , i guess the harder Manhattan part?

The Manhattan tunnels are almost done, though there is still much work to do down there, and those were the easy ones. The ones in Queens are under a different contract and trickier, since the ground being bored isn't mostly solid rock like Manhattan, but more clay/silt that's under the water table. That means that the machines being used to bore the tunnels need a special face that keeps the water out, builds the basic lining for the tunnel, and gives enough pressure to continue digging the tunnel. Those machines are called Earth Pressure Balance Machines.

I thought they were done boring the Tunnels , i guess the harder Manhattan part?

They were boring the Manhattan tunnels, which should be finished by May.

Is the ESA related to all these flat patches of dirt I'm seeing in between Woodside and the East River Tunnels?

If it's those patches you're referring to by the Queens Plaza area, then yes.

It is so inconvenient to have to go to Penn Station to get the LIRR when I'm near Grand Central. I'm wondering why it took so long for this to be thought of??? In other words, this was never thought of previously and then canned?

'Cause Penn Station once was THE big station in NY. That's why they connected it to Penn and later, when Grand Central became the big station after Penn RR got broke, they came up with ESA. They started boring but it got suspended for many years, just like SAS. Now it's brought back to life and just like SAS, they seriously want to finish it this time.

'Cause Penn Station once was THE big station in NY. That's why they connected it to Penn and later, when Grand Central became the big station after Penn RR got broke, they came up with ESA. They started boring but it got suspended for many years, just like SAS. Now it's brought back to life and just like SAS, they seriously want to finish it this time.

And remember, the PRR controlled the LIRR when it was extended into Manhatten in 1910 up until it was sold to the state in, IIRC 1967.

Archived