5 Brighton Stations to be renovated, with the loss of Brighton (B) express service

Matt91

Saw this on second ave sagas: http://secondavenuesagas.com/2009/07/24/service-changes-some-for-the-weekend-and-others-longer/

Express service on the (;) line will be eliminated north of King Highway for two years beginning September in order for the MTA to work on overhauling five stations that have been neglected for decades, transit officials said. Local trains will run on express tracks but will not skip the six stops the express currently bypasses.

Running the trains local will add up to seven minutes to straphangers’ commutes and cost the MTA $960,000 for the additional local service, according to transit documents. “It’s never a good time for this,” said Doris Ortiz, district manager for Community Board 14 in Brooklyn. “It’s an inconvenience, but it’s worth it.”

The Avenue H and Avenue M stations also will be closed on alternating sides during the two years, and riders will have to take shuttle buses on weekends during part of the work.

I didn't see anything about this on the (MTA) website. Guess we'll have to wait for more details... And kinda off topic but I wonder when the (MTA) will renovate the (J)(M)(Z) Chambers St station. That station has never been renovated and really needs it...

Not all of them, I live along the Brighton Line and I'm happy about this G.O!!! I live at an local stop so this G.O means more service for me and riders who live at local stops along the (Q).

True... well for those not living in that section of closed service, that could be good news. But say you live at like Avenue J and your station will be shut. I don't think you'll sound all that cheerful.

You know, if there isnt any express service, how about the (;)/(Q) Skip-Stop, similar to the (D)(Q) Skip stop of the 80s?

It'd work but only if it's done right and doesn't hurt Brooklyn riders. Prospect Park and Kings Highway would be madhouses

We all knew this was coming guys.. Don't be surprised ;). This is definitely needed. Brighton needs a good rebuild :tup:

yeah I would appreciate it if (MTA) could care for Pelham Line too as its in very bad condition...

They completely rebuilded the platforms at Avenue U and Neck Road, which I honestly did not know you could do in a year! But I can only wonder how Prospect Park and Kings Highway can handle skip-stop. But the line can sure use it to speed up service if the local tracks are going to become platform bays. Won't that be a safety issue though since the platforms are wood or will they assemble these platforms off the site and then install them when work is ready to begin?

Okay, I'm confused. What's the service pattern for the (Q) and (;) once this starts?

I believe all service between Prospect Park and Kings Highway would be local. The Neck Rd and Avenue U Coney Island platforms should wrap up by then, meaning that the Manhattan bound sides would have to be worked on. So the Q, after Kings Highway will continue local. The B will continue express. However on the Manhattan side, both the B and the Q will be express to Kings Highway before resuming as local.

Sea Beach and West End need the rehabs badly. According to the Agency's budget outlook, it looks like Sea Beach will get it in 2011 and West End will get it later next year. This might be my opinion, but 8th Avenue on the N needs more turnstiles or even clear the operations on the 7th Avenue side.

As for Brighton service, it might be problematic when there is a stalled train.

Sea Beach definitely needs the upgrade next. That's a no-brainer.

However, I think (MTA) should go to the Rockaways next. The stations are cracking up and there are some massive weeds that I see on the station...

West End looks okay. The stations aren't the best we've seen throughout the system, but it looks like it can hold for a few more years on rehabilitation.

IMO, the first stations that need to be rehabbed are the ones without any PA system. If the stations are in relatively good condition, then just add the PA system. If they aren't, then rehab the whole line (i.e. Rockaway line, Crosstown line). The next thing I would do is make every end of the line station (not terminals along the line like 2 Ave. unless they're important) ADA compliant.

Thats not true. Look what they did to Avenue U and Neck road, they just stopped local service, and did one platform at a time.

yea but they cant close down ALL of the local stations at once. the (;)(Q) is still gonna make the local stops. what they gonna end up doing is build those replacement temporary platforms on the local track so that the people can still use those stations. (like they did on the (A) line at Howard Beach during the construction of the "AIRTRAIN" being built.) if they close down all the local stations via brighton line, u kno how packed the manhattan side is gonna be?? forget it, massive delays, angry people and more crowds on those Manhattan-bound trains.

Sea Beach and West End need the rehabs badly. According to the Agency's budget outlook, it looks like Sea Beach will get it in 2011 and West End will get it later next year. This might be my opinion, but 8th Avenue on the N needs more turnstiles or even clear the operations on the 7th Avenue side.

As for Brighton service, it might be problematic when there is a stalled train.

the entire (N) line needs rehab. the Coney Island-bound express track between 8 Av and Kings Highway should be used on the weekday (like Brighton's (;)(Q)), they can build a switch that can make the train go from the local track to the C.I.-bound express track, also, they need express platforms as well, plus all the stations need to be rebuilt, especially 8 Ave, Fort Hamilton Pkwy.

Archived