MTA to run one test train with security cameras; Every train by the end of 2009.

Dave160

Straphangers will soon have a watchful eye over them as they ride the rails.

In a groundbreaking security initiative, MTA will begin running one subway train with security cameras in every one of its cars by the end of the year, officials said yesterday. Every corner of every car will be in the cameras' view.

The train, which will run on a "letter" line chosen at a later date, will be outfitted with a digital surveillance system that creates a computer-based log of events that can be viewed after a crime or emergency. No one will be watching the images live, but the cameras, authorities believe, will at least make would-be criminals think twice.

"Subways should be equipped with camera capability so we'll be able to determine if a crime has been committed," said MTA board member Norman Seabrook.

The cameras will be a crucial weapon against terror, he said.

"It will also help us get better information on how to deal with a situation should something occur in the post-9/11 world," added Seabrook, who chairs the MTA board's Safety and Security Committee.

The single train is part of a program that will determine if similar systems should be installed on every train in the city as a way to deter criminals.

Transit officials don't plan on revealing which line will get the camera-equipped train, and they wouldn't say how much the cameras cost because only one train is involved.

NYC Transit spokesman Paul Fleuranges said that one of the biggest roadblocks will be the price.

"The question we have to wrestle with is what is the cost and how that cost is handled and whether or not we can maintain the storage that having data requires," Fleuranges said.

"This is not an inexpensive endeavor."

A vendor will install the cameras on the newest subway cars, mainly because they already have computer wiring that can run a surveillance system.

Those cars are currently in use on the Q, N, W, J, Z, M, L, F and E lines, but can be used on any letter route.

Some MTA buses -- mostly in Manhattan -- have cameras. And earlier this year, Brooklyn's B46 line, one of the highest-crime routes in the city, received some buses with cameras.

It's the line that bus operator Edwin Thomas was driving on when he was killed by a crazed passenger.

Story at: http://www.nypost.com/seven/07282009/news/regionalnews/subways_spy_cams_to_see_all_181730.htm

...also, can a mod fix the title, i forgot to space a word.....

Why?

Because They would not like being wacthed, But Its for saftey, I would not have a problem with that because It would knock out the vandals and other crminals, But The only lines to me would have problems with this are the (E),(J),(M) and (L) lines the (J) line has alot of crime and vadals.

Sounds like a good thing, especially considering that they're trying to cut station agents. Anything that can make the system safer is a good thing.

I don't think riders will mind being watched. What's the last thing you did in the subway that was so private "no one could know about it?"

Seems good ass long as the (MTA) doesnt think taking a pic inside the subway car is suspicious then im kool. For example taking a pic of the emergency break door closed which could have the nob off or something..

It would be funny that a homeless person is sleeping in the car[Taking half of a bench] and the camera is pointing at that person. Could get in trouble of course.

I understand that they want to make the system cleaner and everything, but idealistically, how are they going to catch the people who committed the crimes? It's not like they have records of every passenger that have entered the subway before...especially those European guys who tag trains around the world for fun.

I understand that they want to make the system cleaner and everything, but idealistically, how are they going to catch the people who committed the crimes? It's not like they have records of every passenger that have entered the subway before...especially those European guys who tag trains around the world for fun.

.....no, but if a crime is committed police can have an identification of the person and be on the look out.

IMO they should do this but have someone watching from like a control center or something so when something happens they can send the correct people to deal with the problem (i.e, someone getting mugged and tries to escape at the next station or something cops can catch him there). I wouldn't mind..it would keep some of these idiots in check and make me a little less uneasy about riding the train late at night, especially lines that go through crime ridden neighborhoods that I've ridden at night before (C)(3) are 2 good examples...but that's just my 2 cents

Cameras rarely improve security. If anything, this is going to be used as an excuse to reduce the number of security personnel. If you're getting mugged, what is a camera going to do to help you? The captured footage may help in court to get a criminal indicted once they are caught and charged, but otherwise in no way do they actually catch criminals. There are many studies on how cameras do nothing at all.

I'd put a whole tirade about a police state here, but you've all heard it already. There is too much likelihood for government/agency abuse with systems like this, with no benefit for travelers other than the false sense of security. I rather them give a few more honest New Yorkers jobs with the MTA hiring more cops and security personnel.

A few correctly placed stickers and the camera is out of action. Plus who is going to review 1,000s of hours of footage? I don't think this will make it past the test phase just like the camera system at 34/8 that would detect people leaving behind bombs, that project never went anywhere and wasted millions.

This would allow teh cops (DHS, FBI, NSA etc) to find "bad guys" attempting to case the subway for any kind of terrorist attack, and aid police in finding escape routes for various criminal activities etc etc. Every other transit system has cameras out the wazoo, even (NJT) stations have tons of them on top of PA cameras at newark and the airport stations. I don't see them as a violation of privacy. It's public transportation, if it's ok for me to film & take photos, it should be ok for the train & station to do it too.

- A

This is an offshoot of the security cameras in the buses they implemented a few years ago.. They installed the cams in a few units, and the domes to hide cams in a whole lot more.. They found out buses that the domes had less service disruption incidents.. I'm sure when the system gets bottled up & stops, the security cams will have some REALLY interesting video! ;)

Sounds more like an image/Status symbol to me. It only makes the MTA look " safe and secure ". Only because the trains would have cameras the system would look good and make people feel safer. In reality, this does nothing for murder victims who would have their killers caught, but a death would still be there. how about this...have the guy that opens and closes the doors be able to watch the cars inbetween stops. this way if something happens, he could alert the motorman to cease movement and alrt the authorities.

What is a camera going to do against gun violence? Is it going to leap out of its little stand up in the corner, tackle the perp, and then take it to a nearby precent? Because, golly gee that would make these new cameras just awesome.

I got another great idea, lets have full metal detectors and friskers along with one of those guys the FBI employs who can tell whether or not someone is a criminal just by facial twiches at every station that way NYC truely has a 100% safe transit system.

Archived