The How Would You React Scenario Thread

EE Broadway Local

You're waiting for a southbound (W) train at Lexington Avenue when you see another rider's cell telephone fall and land on the tracks. How would you react?

1) You would help the rider get onto the tracks to get the cell telephone.

2) You would get onto the tracks yourself to get the cell telephone.

3) You would offer help and go to a station worker for assistance.

4) You would pretend you didn't see the cell telephone fall.

5) Other

You're waiting for a southbound (W) train at Lexington Avenue when you see another rider's cell telephone fall and land on the tracks. How would you react?

1) You would help the rider get onto the tracks to get the cell telephone.

2) You would get onto the tracks yourself to get the cell telephone.

3) You would offer help and go to a station worker for assistance.

4) You would pretend you didn't see the cell telephone fall.

5) Other

Number three, that's for sure...I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt.

I remember this subject came up once when I was talking to a few people who said they either had already or would go down after an electronic device. I told them that was dangerous and that people have been killed that way. I said they should never attempt to go down there and call an employee immediately. Of course, they suggested that I was just scared and that they didn't have time waste waiting for TA employees. I told them, OK you're legacy will be "We are delayed because of train traffic ahead of us." :)

It's not my problem and therefore I wouldn't give a damn. Before anyone says anything, no, I would not expect anyone else to help me if I dropped something. It's a matter of personal responsibility...why were they even holding their phone over the roadbed?

I choose No. #3 also. Not to go into track.

Long time ago, when I was on Union Sq (L), group of teenagers saw their stuff fallen into track and jump into track and came up DO NOT ENTER Stair before train approach.

Last year I think, mother with her stroller was at 5th Av-53rd St on SB (E)(V) platform when straphangers saw baby's toy on track, he jump into track bed to retrieve baby's item and he used strength to get back on platform.

When I drop my dispersal camera at uptown 86th St (1), I went to Customer Assistant Booth but usual lady was not there. I punch in the help button but it took her while to come back. After that, I went back after museum and they got retrieve for me.

I think some people don't take seriously about their risk. Don't they remember the incident that (MTA) worker was hit by (G) train, fainted on track at Brooklyn Bridge, etc?

My wise-crack answer is:

5) Hand him/her a quarter and point out the nearest pay phone.

My real answer is also 5.

5a) Tell the person who lost the phone to report it to the clerk or another employee in the station. There's no need for me, as a passenger, to become directly involved with something as insignificant as a dropped cell phone.

It's not my problem and therefore I wouldn't give a damn. Before anyone says anything, no, I would not expect anyone else to help me if I dropped something. It's a matter of personal responsibility...why were they even holding their phone over the roadbed?

Joe, I agree with you 1000% on this one. That is what I said to myself. If one is stupid enough (yes I said stupid), to stand near the edge of the platform, and drop their cell phone due to their own clumsiness, to bad. At least now, I won't have to hear their full of nothing conversation on the train..........

I've seen a cellphone flop out of someone's hand or bag, hit the floor and slid into the yellow on the platform almost falling over. And this was on the express tracks on the Broadway line during the PM rush hour. That would have been my train to get delayed. :cry:

Also some people fail to notice how tall the platform is until you jump down on the tracks..

here on Metro North this idiot was on the one track and he decided to jump down on the track to cross over (Stamford Station Btw) anyways as I was about to walk off (yeah I know) He said a little help here?

So I had to help him up.. lucky enough for him it was the last local train of the night.

Archived