Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

Are you going to NYPD to be a Police Officer or something else?.

yes, police officer. if it was anything else i would never consider turning down the conductor position. if transit hires me before the police academy on july 6, i'm going to accept the conductor position until i finish the probationary period then go for NYPD. that way in case NYPD doesn't work out, i can always go back to the MTA. civil service law states if you hold a permanent position and leave for another city agency, you can go back to the agency you left no longer than a year after you left.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean your "hoping" to be in the July class? Were you originally scheduled to be in the last April class that was cancelled? With less than a month until the class starts, you should know by now whether you are in or not. Call up the NYPD and find out.

I remember when I was in John Jay college for about 2 years one of the things I clearly noticed from my first week is that almost everyone that gets into law enforcement is very enthusiastic about it and can't wait to get their gloves dirty on the field. The police officer crowd was very gung-ho and couldn't care less about doing anything else regardless of compensation. That was about 10 years ago when a person needed i think about 80-120 college credits to qualify for the police academy, is that still the case?

now you only need 60 college credits, but most ppl are still gung-ho about being a cop...not me though, i have my name on several lists: NYPD, NYCDOC, TBTA, Conductor, Train Operator, Sanitation, FDNY (firefighter). any one of those positions are well paid and respectable careers.

What do you mean your "hoping" to be in the July class? Were you originally scheduled to be in the last April class that was cancelled? With less than a month until the class starts, you should know by now whether you are in or not. Call up the NYPD and find out.

with the way the economy is you never know what's going to happen. yes i was scheduled for the april class and look what happened. that's why it's never a sure thing, but if bloomy keeps his word about july then i should be in. the funny thing about NYPD is the calls don't start going out until less then a week before reporting for the first day.

Don't count on FDNY. They can't hire off the 2007 list since the exam was allegedly "discriminatory." Stay away from corrections. That's a dangeorus job and you WILL have you know what thrown at you on a regular basis. Have you applied to any federal agencies? The US Park Police is always hiring... top pay is $100k. Federal agencies tend to hire much quicker than the NYPD. The process moves quick and they don't play games.

Try 60 credits minimum or if you have 2 years of honorable full time military

service. What I don't understand is how they hire all these cops who can barely speak english.

I was once by a fire hydrant and this 6'5 cop

with a thick Russian accent taps my window and says that I can't park here,I told him that I am standing and not parked and that it was legal, he told me to move, so I turn and look at his partner who was about to go into the 7-Eleven, I didn't want to get into a confrontation over something so trivial so I drove off.

On Thee Rant somebody ranted that some cops sound likelatka_art_160_20081031143909.jpg

Latka from the Taxi show, lol.

Does anyone know when the next conductor test will be administered, how to study for it, and what kind of criminal record will bar you from being a conductor?

The conductor exam is usually held every four years and the last one was held in 2008. Technically were due for another conductor test late next year. Who knows whats going to happen though since the list for the 2008 exam is only now taking effect. Transit could possibly skip next year or even longer, or maybe they'll make some money and hold an exam anyway in 2012. Im sure record numbers will show up for the next conductor exam, unemployment or the lack of good stable jobs is just sick lately.

now you only need 60 college credits, but most ppl are still gung-ho about being a cop...not me though, i have my name on several lists: NYPD, NYCDOC, TBTA, Conductor, Train Operator, Sanitation, FDNY (firefighter). any one of those positions are well paid and respectable careers.

Now that I think about it, It was back in 1998. I think it used to be 120 credits or military service like someone said above to qualify for the academy. A couple of those guys I still pal around with on occasion but they seem like from another planet now after several years of duty. NYPD is rewarding and can actually lead to a slew of other possibly more lucrative jobs but hell I dont think I'de pass by Conductor if I were you.

I know this question has been asked before but how tough is the medical?

Well it isnt multiple choice and wont require much reading comprehension and I dont believe theres a study guide for it. However it is a typical medical examination and it will require that you are found in reasonably good health you know. I suppose one wouldn't have to study too hard for it, just try to keep your health in check. The tough part comes later see lol.

Yes you can stand by a hydrant but if a police officer asks you

to move you have to move that's the law.

Yeah, that was probably his spot but they usually park on a bus stop

right in front of the 7-Eleven. Of course we all know they are above the law.

This was a clueless rookie cop who didn't know any better, never ever have I been

asked to move from a hydrant while I was sitting in the drivers seat with the keys in the ignition.

What's the odds of me getting call with my list# 2954. I really don't think I will take it anyways just a random ? Lol.

Just a slight one like primo said. But your a B/O now, and will be getting paid more per hour once you reach top pay. Plus you worked so hard and really wanted to be a MTA B/O, so stay where you are.

Just a slight one like primo said. But your a B/O now, and will be getting paid more per hour once you reach top pay. Plus you worked so hard and really wanted to be a MTA B/O, so stay where you are.

Hey willbx you already know im not going no where bro lol. i did work hard to get where im at and i justed notice harry change my title to B/O from member:tup::cool:

Hey willbx you already know im not going no where bro lol. i did work hard to get where im at and i justed notice harry change my title to B/O from member:tup::cool:

Cool I see too. But he made a slight mistake in the symbol no biggie. He gave you (NYCT) B/O NCYTA instead of (MTA) B/O Bus Company. No real difference to me just being technical lmao!!!.

I have a question on my pre employment application i had to put all my jobs that i had up too 10 years ago,,, turns out i had forgotten to put a dead end job i had for a summer job on it,,they gave me a 21 page booklet to complete & put all my jobs i had since high school on it,,i am going to add it to the 21 page booklet,, would their be any issues cause of this?

I have a question on my pre employment application i had to put all my jobs that i had up too 10 years ago,,, turns out i had forgotten to put a dead end job i had for a summer job on it,,they gave me a 21 page booklet to complete & put all my jobs i had since high school on it,,i am going to add it to the 21 page booklet,, would their be any issues cause of this?

You will have to explain the discrepancy, and do what they tell you to do.

Hello everyone, I just received my pre employment interview and medical letter for june 09, . Does anyone know what the next step will be and how long before I actually get into the training class. Also how long the class is and do they work with u when it comes to work location or you pick the work schedule like bus operators. Can anyone also shed some light on the top pay for conductor. My list # 164. Thanks for info. Good luck everyone:)

Hello everyone, I just received my pre employment interview and medical letter for june 09, . Does anyone know what the next step will be and how long before I actually get into the training class. Also how long the class is and do they work with u when it comes to work location or you pick the work schedule like bus operators. Can anyone also shed some light on the top pay for conductor. My list # 164. Thanks for info. Good luck everyone:)

Man I hate to be kinda rough, but all your questions can be answered by doing a search. I just feel these same questions have been asked and answered plenty of times by now. But I'll do you this solid just this one time:p. Day one will be bringing in all the paper work they asked you for. You will take a urine test and be given a 21 page application to fill out. This application will require you list all the jobs you've had in the past ten years, schools and criminal history if any. And any gaps in employment must be explained for how you supported yourself. Be completely honest because they will not hesitate to fire you , if you've concealed any information from them. If you've forgotten any jobs you had, get a work history print out from the social security office. If your urine and background check you will be called in for the medical exam and final processing And you will be required to bring back with you the 21 page application. It should take about 2-4 weeks before they call you in for the 2nd visit. And getting into a class is subjective. According to Alex there are two classes scheduled, one of 40 for late june and another 40 for late july. I'm not too sure how long the actual training is for a C/R, maybe a RTO member can answer that one for you. Once you're hired you will be Extra Extra until you can pick a job. Extra means you are assigned a job for the day or week. I'm not too sure how it works being extra with RTO, in stations I have to call on a daily basis to find out where I will be working the next day. Top pay for C/R is $27.81/hr after three years on the job , that equates to $57,844.80 a year base pay before O/T and night Diff. Okay now I've answered all of your questions so good luck getting in.:tup:

Archived