Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

Well I have received my golden ticket. LOL I got my letter on Friday and report to Livingston on Wednesday morning. Just for reference I was in the 130's on the list. :-)

I was just in another forum and I came across this very recent posting. by some one who reported to Livingston street to start the process. It is very interesting reading!

"So I went down to Livingston Street today and had an odd little experience. Had to be there at 7:30. The letter said that I would be undergoing a drugtest and a preinterview and physical, and to avoid excessive noise for 14 hours prior to the appointment.

I got upstairs and there were two lines, one for people who had gotten a phone call and were doing final processing (drug test and physical) and one for people like me who had gotten a letter, and we were asked for all the required documents.

One thing that made me very nervous was that there were three sheets I needed to fill out related to the veteran's preference points I claimed. I spent nearly 11 years in the military, was honorably discharged, and I am entitled to take vet pref. There were two identical blue sheets, and one yellow sheet I needed to fill out and sign. The first blue sheet I needed to sign indicating that I was going to use my vet credits but could be appointed without them, or something to that effect, and the second sheet I had to sign indicating that I knew that I could not be appointed on the designated day without the vet credits.

The yellow sheet, which I did not want to sign, and they told me to, says essentially that you revoke any claim to veteran's credits, (which added 3 points to my score of 97 and gave me a list position of 54. If they process that, they will reevaluate my score and my list position. I felt very leery about filling out that second blue sheet and especially that yellow sheet, but I was told that they are going to double check my DD214 for legitimacy and if it wasn't on the up and up (which it certainly is), then they would use that second blue sheet and the yellow sheet to process my submission.

They then gave me a manila envelope with two thick sets of paper (one is a a second, more in depth application, where I have to list, among other things, every job I have had since high school, which should be fun trying to do since I am now 42, and one is a guide on how to fill out the application.)

Then I went to the lab for a drug test. (They give you three hours to provide a sample, I thought I was doing pretty good for me, by only taking an hour and a half, haha.) Then I went back to the first desk and they told me to go home and wait for them to call me. I was kind of taken aback, because it was only 11am at that point, I thought I would be doing all the physical/medical evaluation stuff today.

Once I got the application, I knew I would have to come back anyway, but I felt like I could have at least gotten more accomplished today instead of being sent home three hours later.":tup:

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/429639-conductor-exam-21.html#ixzz1OYEJVtoF

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just in another forum and I came across this very recent posting. by some one who reported to Livingston street to start the process. It is very interesting reading!

"So I went down to Livingston Street today and had an odd little experience. Had to be there at 7:30. The letter said that I would be undergoing a drugtest and a preinterview and physical, and to avoid excessive noise for 14 hours prior to the appointment.

I got upstairs and there were two lines, one for people who had gotten a phone call and were doing final processing (drug test and physical) and one for people like me who had gotten a letter, and we were asked for all the required documents.

One thing that made me very nervous was that there were three sheets I needed to fill out related to the veteran's preference points I claimed. I spent nearly 11 years in the military, was honorably discharged, and I am entitled to take vet pref. There were two identical blue sheets, and one yellow sheet I needed to fill out and sign. The first blue sheet I needed to sign indicating that I was going to use my vet credits but could be appointed without them, or something to that effect, and the second sheet I had to sign indicating that I knew that I could not be appointed on the designated day without the vet credits.

The yellow sheet, which I did not want to sign, and they told me to, says essentially that you revoke any claim to veteran's credits, (which added 3 points to my score of 97 and gave me a list position of 54. If they process that, they will reevaluate my score and my list position. I felt very leery about filling out that second blue sheet and especially that yellow sheet, but I was told that they are going to double check my DD214 for legitimacy and if it wasn't on the up and up (which it certainly is), then they would use that second blue sheet and the yellow sheet to process my submission.

They then gave me a manila envelope with two thick sets of paper (one is a a second, more in depth application, where I have to list, among other things, every job I have had since high school, which should be fun trying to do since I am now 42, and one is a guide on how to fill out the application.)

Then I went to the lab for a drug test. (They give you three hours to provide a sample, I thought I was doing pretty good for me, by only taking an hour and a half, haha.) Then I went back to the first desk and they told me to go home and wait for them to call me. I was kind of taken aback, because it was only 11am at that point, I thought I would be doing all the physical/medical evaluation stuff today.

Once I got the application, I knew I would have to come back anyway, but I felt like I could have at least gotten more accomplished today instead of being sent home three hours later.":tup:

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/429639-conductor-exam-21.html#ixzz1OYEJVtoF

Well I have no idea what this person is complaining about!!, that is the exact procedure that everyone has to do when going thru the hiring process. I mean I had to do the exact same thing when I got re-instated and I've worked for the MTA before. Some people just really have no idea what they are talking about. The letter may have been mis-typed but the only people that do labs and physicals on the same day are employees up for promotion, not people off the street.

I was under the impression Transit wanted your last ten years not your entire work history since high school. Some of the stuff about the applications, especially the one to revoke veteran's credit is a bit confusing. Not on his explanation, but as to why Transit would have a page you can sign to revoke your veteran's credit of 3 points on your exam score and then have them reevaluate your place on the list. Nothing comes to mind as to why anyone would like to do that, maybe to prolong their hiring process for personal reasons, makes no sense.

"on his explanation, but as to why Transit would have a page you can sign to revoke your veteran's credit of 3 points on your exam score and then have them reevaluate your place on the list. Nothing comes to mind as to why anyone would like to do that, maybe to prolong their hiring process for personal reasons, makes no sense."

Simple. This way you can use your veterans prefence for promotions. You can only use prefence points ONCE. If you use it to get hired, then you cannot use it again to get promoted. This is information I obtained directly from a veteran I used to know who went through the NYPD hiring process.

"on his explanation, but as to why Transit would have a page you can sign to revoke your veteran's credit of 3 points on your exam score and then have them reevaluate your place on the list. Nothing comes to mind as to why anyone would like to do that, maybe to prolong their hiring process for personal reasons, makes no sense."

Simple. This way you can use your veterans prefence for promotions. You can only use prefence points ONCE. If you use it to get hired, then you cannot use it again to get promoted. This is information I obtained directly from a veteran I used to know who went through the NYPD hiring process.

Oh I see now. That does make sense since you can only use it once. The person above sort of implies that Transit wanted him to sign it as oppose to a matter of choice.

has anyone been contacted after the pre-employment date? just curious to know how long it takes for them to call you for the next step(s). i had my pre-employment this past tuesday. i thought it would've been more than just a drug test and paper work.

has anyone been contacted after the pre-employment date? just curious to know how long it takes for them to call you for the next step(s). i had my pre-employment this past tuesday. i thought it would've been more than just a drug test and paper work.

How long did the whole process take? And they didn't give you an idea on how long it would be before they call you?

:) hello everyone. I know this question might have been asked before, but just wondering if promo list has been exhausted already? Don't they get first preferance? And I guess the 80 ppl they are looking to hire are possible all from oc list. Does anyone have any input. Am list # one sixty something, just trying to get an idea if am gonna make any of these classes. Thanks for your input

:) hello everyone. I know this question might have been asked before, but just wondering if promo list has been exhausted already? Don't they get first preferance? And I guess the 80 ppl they are looking to hire are possible all from oc list. Does anyone have any input. Am list # one sixty something, just trying to get an idea if am gonna make any of these classes. Thanks for your input

latest info i have: promo list is exhausted. classes are scheduled for the end of this month and the third week of july. top 100 from the o/c list were called in for pre employment drug test on 6/3, some unknown number were called in for same on 6/8 (today). so far no one has heard a callback for the medical as of yet, but that is likely coming soon. after passing the medical and all paperwork free of discrepancies, applicants will receive their start date.

Quick question: Do you ever meet with any of the background investigators when you hand in your packet? What if you have a question or need to let them know about something in your background that might pop up during the background search?

Quick question: Do you ever meet with any of the background investigators when you hand in your packet? What if you have a question or need to let them know about something in your background that might pop up during the background search?

NOPE!! you never meet them at all. So this makes it even more imperative that all your information is 100% correct and honest, because you cannot meet with them personally to explain anything. You'll just hand in your information to the lady @ the desk at 180 Livingston, and that will be as personal as your background check process will be.

Went for drug test today. Upon submitting initial paperwork, was told I wouldnt be allowed to take drug test at the time because of past criminal record that I put on my application along with appropriate documentation. Unlawful possesion of motor vehicle conviction. Was 19 at the time and received one year probation and $250 fine. 45 years of age now, trouble free and gainfully employed scince that incident. Was told by the individual checking my paperwork that all applications submitted with any type of criminal history has to go through further review by supv/manager and will be approved or dissaproved on case by case basis. Was however, given the 21 page more in depth application and instructed to take home and complete. Bottom line as I was told is that they do and will hire persons with past convictions but it is important to be truthful and forthcoming initially, in other words dont claim you had minor offense when in fact it was a serious one. Was told the new policy is to try and weed out the undesirable's now instead of having them on the payroll for a whole year and then having to go through the process of termination after receiving unfavorable or dishonest background information. Was reassured that I should not have any problems once my case was reviewed but still had to go through the process to maintain the integrity of it. Was also told that for those that receive a favorable review would get a call in about two or three weeks to come back in, on the other hand the indivuduals rejected would receive a thanks but no thanks letter...Hope this was helpful and good luck.

How long did the whole process take? And they didn't give you an idea on how long it would be before they call you?

i got there at 7am, half hour earlier than told to be there. they gave me a ticket similar to the tickets you get when you're at the dmv. at first they told us (about 30-40ppl) to make a line and sign in and start filling out the paper work they gave us. once it was my turn to turn in the paper work i gave in the paper work and the lady behind the desk asked for my previous work history for the past 10 years. i didn't receive a take home booklet to fill out since i'm already a city employee who filled that book out when i started with the city back in 2007. after that she sent me to take the drug test. after the drug test i was signed out and told they will be in touch with me in a couple of weeks to come in for the medical exam.

Went for drug test today. Upon submitting initial paperwork, was told I wouldnt be allowed to take drug test at the time because of past criminal record that I put on my application along with appropriate documentation. Unlawful possesion of motor vehicle conviction. Was 19 at the time and received one year probation and $250 fine. 45 years of age now, trouble free and gainfully employed scince that incident. Was told by the individual checking my paperwork that all applications submitted with any type of criminal history has to go through further review by supv/manager and will be approved or dissaproved on case by case basis. Was however, given the 21 page more in depth application and instructed to take home and complete. Bottom line as I was told is that they do and will hire persons with past convictions but it is important to be truthful and forthcoming initially, in other words dont claim you had minor offense when in fact it was a serious one. Was told the new policy is to try and weed out the undesirable's now instead of having them on the payroll for a whole year and then having to go through the process of termination after receiving unfavorable or dishonest background information. Was reassured that I should not have any problems once my case was reviewed but still had to go through the process to maintain the integrity of it. Was also told that for those that receive a favorable review would get a call in about two or three weeks to come back in, on the other hand the indivuduals rejected would receive a thanks but no thanks letter...Hope this was helpful and good luck.

Just received call and was told the reason I was flagged was because there was a discrepancy in what I wrote as my conviction ( unlawful possesion of a motor vehicle ) and what was on the disposition letter I gave them from the court ( criminal possession of stolen property ). Was able to explain that I filled out the application before I got the official documentation from the courts and didnt remember the exact charge as it was written over 25 years ago. Told to report back next tues at 7.30 for drug test...Whew!!!

Mr911blessed this incedent wasn't sealed?

I was arrested for disordely conduct a few years ago and did a couple of days of community service and stayed out of trouble for a year, and then the charge was sealed, do I have to disclose that to them??

Dan0579, its probably a good idea to go the court clerks office that the case was under and try and get a copy of the official disposition. If in fact the case is sealed then you may not be able to get one or if so it should state the discon charge and subsequent community service and dismissal of charge after year of good behavior. Depends on jurisdiction. If you do decide to tell them then you've covered yourself whether or not it comes up later during background check. A discon charge is usually not that big of a deal unless it was for committing some type of lewd act in front of children or something like that. I'm really not sure of transits protocol on the issue so the safe bet in my opinion would be to cya.....

Dan0579, its probably a good idea to go the court clerks office that the case was under and try and get a copy of the official disposition. If in fact the case is sealed then you may not be able to get one or if so it should state the discon charge and subsequent community service and dismissal of charge after year of good behavior. Depends on jurisdiction. If you do decide to tell them then you've covered yourself whether or not it comes up later during background check. A discon charge is usually not that big of a deal unless it was for committing some type of lewd act in front of children or something like that. I'm really not sure of transits protocol on the issue so the safe bet in my opinion would be to cya.....

Thanks, I have the letter of disposition and it states pgsi conditional discharge 5 days community service completed to be sealed after 1 year so I guess I don't have to disclose this then, thanks.

I thought they only wanted your past 10 years regarding your criminal

background? so it's best to disclose everything, even if it was a very long time ago and no documentation can be found of it.

We all did stupid stuff at 19, good to hear that you are able to continue the pre employment process, good luck!

A sealed record does not have to be disclosed to any employer

public or private unless it's a position in law enforcement or when applying for a

gun permit . A sealed record is not a conviction therefore legally

when the question is asked have you ever been convicted of a crime you can answer no .

I thought they only wanted your past 10 years regarding your criminal

background? so it's best to disclose everything, even if it was a very long time ago and no documentation can be found of it.

We all did stupid stuff at 19, good to hear that you are able to continue the pre employment process, good luck!

They want everything, not just past 10 years.

However any sealed records or juvenile incidents that were sealed, or minor adjudications (meaning AS a minor) do not have to be disclosed.

"Was told the new policy is to try and weed out the undesirable's now instead of having them on the payroll for a whole year and then having to go through the process of termination after receiving unfavorable or dishonest background information."

I'm surprised they have not been doing this sooner. Hiring people first and then doing a background check after they are already on the payroll is an absurd polcy that no other govt. agency has.

Archived