Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re the different pension tiers, I'm familiar with this from my wife's experience as a public schoolteacher. Her pension is less generous than those of the teachers hired ten years before her, and the old timers who started 20 years before her have a much better deal.

For perspective, though, try and find any pension in the private sector. Transit benefits and pension are still far better than what most people have elsewhere.

No problem. Also, I should have highlighted "NYCERS credited service". There's a lag between when you get hired & when you get put in the pension system. Any time you work for TA but aren't contributing pension isn't bad time, but it will create a pension deficit that you can buy back. So someone who is nearing retirement age who hires on with TA to get a second pension by working 10 years, cannot just retire on their 10th anniversary and assume they got credit for all 10 years. They'll have to check with NYCERS who will most likely tell them they have to buy back their first month, where pension deduction probably wasn't being taken out of their check due to them still being put in the system.

If they don't check and just retire, they may have just voided pension benefit eligibility.

This situation described above also applies to time like if an employee is out on workman's comp.

Only reason I say this is because you should try to fix any pension deficit ASAP, as it will avoid a lot of problems when you go to retire. Lots of people pick a retirement date in their mind, go down to NYCERS, find out all is not well, and either have to buy back time or for many of the old timers, NYCERS has to find their pay records to make sure their service time is complete and correct before locking in their pension benefit. Be on top of this stuff, treat it like a bank account, because no one's going to do it for you.

I'm going through pretty much something like this, with only one year under my belt. I contacted the right people and buying back a few months. Luckily I'm on top of things.

10 years will NOT fly by quick as a conductor

How can you make such a claim when you're not even an employee? 

Anyways, a question for someone more knowledgeable on this subject. Are transit workers expected to get a new contract this upcoming Janurary, and if so what will the starting rate be for conductors?

Also, is it true that new contracts lead to mass retirements? 

@SubwayGuy, if you work for a different NYC agency before starting with Transit, would that be NYCERS credited service?

Generally, yes, but I don't want to give you a blanket answer. It depends on the agency and what pension tier you would have fallen into previously, and possibly also what you've done with your "old" pension balance.

If this applies to you, definitely go down and ask. If you worked for an agency under Tier 4, you may be able to buy that time back as tier 4 and avoid the inferior tier 6 altogether.

How can you make such a claim when you're not even an employee? 

Anyways, a question for someone more knowledgeable on this subject. Are transit workers expected to get a new contract this upcoming Janurary, and if so what will the starting rate be for conductors?

Also, is it true that new contracts lead to mass retirements? 

He can't, so just ignore it. Lots of conductors retire with 30 years and swear at their retirement parties that the time flew by.

No one can answer #2 who isn't directly involved in union contract negotiations. Any TO or CR answering in this thread would be pure speculation.

New contracts don't "lead" to mass retirements, however, if a new contract is imminent, many employees will wait to receive their retro pay and adjusted final average numbers before going out, until the contract goes into effect and any retro pay is received. This can create the appearance of mass retirements, but in reality is if 10 people want to go in January, February, and March...the contract comes in say, end of March, then all 30 will wait, and all 30 will go out in April. So same number retire, but it just seems like a wave when the contract hits.

I hope they don't take long to call back for medical because it seems like they like to call me during the dam winter lol

Hope they call back soon too. Anniversary is in Sept and ive put my whole life on hold (no travelling) because im SURE theyre going to call me to come in for medical the SECOND i step foot on that plane. smh. already making sacrifices and i dont even have the job yet. Lol. hopefully they call sooner than later.

Hope they call back soon too. Anniversary is in Sept and ive put my whole life on hold (no travelling) because im SURE theyre going to call me to come in for medical the SECOND i step foot on that plane. smh. already making sacrifices and i dont even have the job yet. Lol. hopefully they call sooner than later.

I'm on vacation now. I'm spending a few days in Washington DC. I keep checking my phone. Thank God it's only a 4 hour drive back to NYC.

Archived