Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no other real way to launch a career other than school....

Networking with people landed me a job before even graduating.

Sure there is... You just need some connections...

Agree 100%, but having a degree in something is like a cherry on top.

The way I see it is network with a lot of people who are all better off than I will ever be or kiss some rich North Shore resident's ass for 10 years and maybe he'll help me out.

Who said anything about kissing ass?  If people become friends, good ones at least, they will help you out.  I met this guy, became friends and he saw that I was struggling.  Next thing you know I got a well paying job.  He's not even my boss, he's a co-worker that just put a good word for me and I followed through.

Agree 100%, but having a degree in something is like a cherry on top.

I agree with to a degree, but there are plenty of incompetent people out here with degrees.  I know what you're getting at and it's true.  Those with college degrees generally have higher incomes, but at the same time a degree has its limits, as is being shown in today's economy.

Damn, looks like futurama will air their last 13 eps this summer. Comedy central canceled the series.

As I said in the most recent status update from Craig (Metro CSW)

You barely found out?

While I don't agree with Comedy Central's decision, I'm not all that suprised. Ratings have shifted, and even I haven't kept up with the series for nearly two years, partly due to schedule reasons.

In addition, the series seemed quite "apart" from the rest of Comedy Central's programming.

As a fan though, I do feel we were lucky enough to have a revival the first time around. If it happens again so be it, but either way I wouldn't mind if Futurama were concluded now.

Nonetheless, a great amount of thanks to the amazing crew of staff (which I had a pleasure to meet on two occasions) and their contributions to the series.

On a side note, I believe this actually deserves it's own discussion topic. Anyone wishing to create one, now's your chance.

Anyone ever go on (or post at) Yelp.com?

I'm looking at a restaurant we're supposed to go to on friday, and I have to admit I never heard of the place... it's called Trattoria Incontro, place is supposed to be this great italian restaurant up in Astoria... If I didn't profess that I didn't love italian food (and my abhorrence of seafood), we they were gonna go to city island for seafood.... I was like, y'all can go ahead, but they just had to include me, since I was part of a group that accomplished what we got done.....

(side note... Why is it that people in general feel a certain way about excluding an acquaintance anyway?... Talk about extraversion... There is no feeling of outcasting when I'm voluntarily excluding myself from something....)

Rather than bore y'all with a drawn out story, I'm reading these reviews, and even when I sort the ratings by ascension (meaning, the worst reviews on the first page), there's 3 & 4 star ratings on the first page (out of 280 reviews)....

Anyone here ever heard of this place? if so, tell me about what I'm about to walk into.....

I'm not no big restaurant goer-er... er er... er er (lol), but after all, guess it does beat eating chinese food, domino's, popeyes, or w/e else I can muster up that's in this 'fridge like I do on a lot of friday nights......

I'm looking at a restaurant we're supposed to go to on friday, and I have to admit I never heard of the place... it's called Trattoria Incontro, place is supposed to be this great italian restaurant up in Astoria... If I didn't profess that I didn't love italian food (and my abhorrence of seafood), we they were gonna go to city island for seafood.... I was like, y'all can go ahead, but they just had to include me, since I was part of a group that accomplished what we got done.....

(side note... Why is it that people in general feel a certain way about excluding an acquaintance anyway?... Talk about extraversion... There is no feeling of outcasting when I'm voluntarily excluding myself from something....)

Rather than bore y'all with a drawn out story, I'm reading these reviews, and even when I sort the ratings by ascension (meaning, the worst reviews on the first page), there's 3 & 4 star ratings on the first page (out of 280 reviews)....

Anyone here ever heard of this place? if so, tell me about what I'm about to walk into.....

I'm not no big restaurant goer-er... er er... er er (lol), but after all, guess it does beat eating chinese food, domino's, popeyes, or w/e else I can muster up that's in this 'fridge like I do on a lot of friday nights......

I do use Yelp for restaurants and they are usually pretty accurate.  This place is a Trattoria, which means that you should expect decent portions and nothing fancy.... More like family food like you would get at a French Bistro. As for the place itself, I've never heard of it.  You can imagine that I'm picky when it comes to Italian places though.  I also use Zagat which has high standards when it comes to giving ratings, and they rate the place 27 out 30 which is pretty damn good. This place may be authentic (as in not Italian-American or some wanna be Italian-American garbage but rather authentic food from Italy) because I see that the chef is from Italy, so that's a good sign. 

I saw the plates and they're normal sizes that you would find in Italy, so that's another good sign and I don't see tons of sauce either... lol Looking at the menu and the reviews, I would go here myself.  The chef is from the Abruzzo region of Italy, and has clearly put some dishes on the menu from the region which sound fantastic that I've had myself at other high end Italian restaurants in the city.

I'm a big seafood guy being Sicilian, so my mouth is watering... Sea bass, salmon, mussels, squid... All seafood that I eat regularly.  I'd say this menu is very typical of what you'd find in a Trattoria for sure... All very comforting, rustic, homey sort of dishes...  In fact I think I may stop by and try this place myself.  Some of my Italian friends live right there in Astoria, so I can ask them if they've been before because they are from the same region of Italy that the chef is from.

I think you have plenty to chose from, but I would not expect an "Italian-American" experience based on the portions, and the menu.  I don't expect the pizza to be the typical pizza either that you find here, especially not based on the ingredients.  These are pizzas you find moreso in Italy.

If you have any questions, let me know.  I can also recommend a few of my spots which offer a more Roman experience if you will.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

As I said in the most recent status update from Craig (Metro CSW)

You barely found out?

While I don't agree with Comedy Central's decision, I'm not all that suprised. Ratings have shifted, and even I haven't kept up with the series for nearly two years, partly due to schedule reasons.

In addition, the series seemed quite "apart" from the rest of Comedy Central's programming.

As a fan though, I do feel we were lucky enough to have a revival the first time around. If it happens again so be it, but either way I wouldn't mind if Futurama were concluded now.

Nonetheless, a great amount of thanks to the amazing crew of staff (which I had a pleasure to meet on two occasions) and their contributions to the series.

On a side note, I believe this actually deserves it's own discussion topic. Anyone wishing to create one, now's your chance.

I haven't had time to look up every post and saw the list of renewed/canceled shows from tv.com. I normally don't bother with CC either, I haven't watched South Park in ages either. But I think it was nice of CC to revive the series for 2 seasons and much as I like this over the Simpsons, I guess it is better to just end now than to go on forever and be beyond a shell of its former self. I am glad that they are likely to have the last episode serve as the series finale and they can always reboot the storyline if needed if someone else picks it up.

Well I'm sure there's some shows that are canceled/renewed that some folks would like to comment on. 

I haven't had time to look up every post and saw the list of renewed/canceled shows from tv.com. I normally don't bother with CC either, I haven't watched South Park in ages either. But I think it was nice of CC to revive the series for 2 seasons and much as I like this over the Simpsons, I guess it is better to just end now than to go on forever and be beyond a shell of its former self. I am glad that they are likely to have the last episode serve as the series finale and they can always reboot the storyline if needed if someone else picks it up.

Well I'm sure there's some shows that are canceled/renewed that some folks would like to comment on. 

Real quick, on the subject of South Park I haven't followed it for nearly five years. As I said a few times before, the way I see it the creators chose to cater to the "MacFarlane" crowd and for that I lost whatever respect I held to Trey Parker and Matt Stone, as well athe the series.

But you sum it up nicely. If anything fans can expect a great series finale and perhaps another network will choose to pick up the series.

I do use Yelp for restaurants and they are usually pretty accurate.  This place is a Trattoria, which means that you should expect decent portions and nothing fancy.... More like family food like you would get at a French Bistro. As for the place itself, I've never heard of it.  You can imagine that I'm picky when it comes to Italian places though.  I also use Zagat which has high standards when it comes to giving ratings, and they rate the place 27 out 30 which is pretty damn good. This place may be authentic (as in not Italian-American or some wanna be Italian-American garbage but rather authentic food from Italy) because I see that the chef is from Italy, so that's a good sign. 

I saw the plates and they're normal sizes that you would find in Italy, so that's another good sign and I don't see tons of sauce either... lol Looking at the menu and the reviews, I would go here myself.  The chef is from the Abruzzo region of Italy, and has clearly put some dishes on the menu from the region which sound fantastic that I've had myself at other high end Italian restaurants in the city.

I'm a big seafood guy being Sicilian, so my mouth is watering... Sea bass, salmon, mussels, squid... All seafood that I eat regularly.  I'd say this menu is very typical of what you'd find in a Trattoria for sure... All very comforting, rustic, homey sort of dishes...  In fact I think I may stop by and try this place myself.  Some of my Italian friends live right there in Astoria, so I can ask them if they've been before because they are from the same region of Italy that the chef is from.

I think you have plenty to chose from, but I would not expect an "Italian-American" experience based on the portions, and the menu.  I don't expect the pizza to be the typical pizza either that you find here, especially not based on the ingredients.  These are pizzas you find moreso in Italy.

If you have any questions, let me know.  I can also recommend a few of my spots which offer a more Roman experience if you will.

I've thoroughly read all above posts on this subject and now I am ridiculously hungry for some Italian. 

I would be too if I hadn't eaten recently... 

Just got caught red handed posting while hungry. I had only enough time for like three donuts this morning rushing in to work just for me to be mobbed with work tickets. It's my stomach talking. 

What an awkward situation I was in today. Being in Southern California and all it tends to heat up quickly out here most of the time. Today was no exception. So while I was waiting for one of my connections to show up I went in to a nearby liquor store and bought a can of iced tea. Thinking nothing of it I kept it in the paper bag that it was given to me.

So when my bus shows up I board, and eventually crack open that mofo. Still in the paper bag I begin drinking it. While I'm there sitting tuned into my music I have this old lady that keeps staring at me and mumbling under her breath. Though she got off five minutes later it took me nearly an hour to realize what she assumed.

99% chance she thought I was intoxicated. It cracked me up to no end, and actually I might try it with a bottle of St. Ides, lol.

P.S. Welcome back Mark!

Fact: A career where you can bring in a steady income to reach your wildest dreams is important to a man. I wished more inner city youths would see this already.

I'm still considering after all this time in the IT field after consideration to becoming a TSS (lol foam) that my wildest dream which is to break my ass into the medical field, finally after attending to unfinished busimness first. I have unfinished college credentials torwards this field so maybe I should finish this shit and reach my heart set desire.

Fact: A career where you can bring in a steady income to reach your wildest dreams is important to a man. I wished more inner city youths would see this already.

I'm still considering after all this time in the IT field after consideration to becoming a TSS (lol foam) that my wildest dream which is to break my ass into the medical field, finally after attending to unfinished busimness first. I have unfinished college credentials torwards this field so maybe I should finish this shit and reach my heart set desire.

Of course you should finish man. So much wasted potential. Why leave it incomplete?

Yeah it's always good to have a plan B. Nursing is my Plan B, all I need to do is 2 semesters and a summer for a monsterous raise in a more financially secure industry where it comes to economic security for those working in that field. Many jobs here in the IT field are being outsourced. That is not excactly the case in healthcare, the demand for nursing after all these years is still very very high, prolly the #1 field to be in right now. Even as an IT professional I can grow to specialize in providing tech support in hospitals however if I take a venture like this, I might as well finish the degree and work as an RN. Nursing is in demand in every state in this country, and pays well with steady work.

Like myself many men in their lives decide to go for a career change by the time they are 30'ish. I've seen this so many times.

Edited by realizm

I read last semester that the US was also outsourcing accounting and law tasks to India... why does the average joe here pay almost $50,000-$100,000 in education + take of the hardest professional exams in the country just so someone else can do his job for horrible pay?

I always thought that if accounting didn't work for me, I'd do something IT-related.  I've always loved computers but never really thought the field would take off... but I'm already a junior in school so why would I stop now?

It's never too late to change... Plenty of people switch course later on in college... That said there are plenty of accounting jobs.  You need to focus on getting into one of the big ones, make a name for yourself and then move on and perhaps open up your own place.  

On the job outsourcing in the IT field, accounting and law fields it is what it is. Meanwhile many Americans are looking for job security. Healthcare is one of the professions to be in because of the rising numbers of people who need medical care of some sort creating demand for HCPs (no brainer) and second because it is a traditional field, that will not be going anywhere even in a bad economy. It's an outsourcing proof field with excellent pay. I mean people who need medical care would not need it from another country. A person is not going to fly out of the country to see their dentist. So the healthcare field is here to stay, recession proof, and resilient to this outsourcing plague of jobs other fields are experiencing.

Edited by realizm