Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, VG8 keeps inserting quips about how his life is so much better than everyone else's.  PROTIP: NO one gives a flying **** about what happens in your building or where the hell you eat.

What in the f**king world are you talking about!? He is responding to my posts on landlord/tenant issues with some solid advice. So what if he's talking about his situation where he lives at? You don't see me being jealous because he is successful in life.

What in the f**king world are you talking about!? He is responding to my posts on landlord/tenant issues with some solid advice. So what if he's talking about his situation where he lives at? You don't see me being jealous because he is successful in life.

He's "Little Man Up Front" for a reason...  :lol:

lol... You're lucky because me and my neighbor would be going at it if he made noise like that. Now he likes to play his music and such but after a certain time that music goes off or at least down because we just don't do those things in my building and it's written in our leases that loud music and noise will not be tolerated. Folks are generally considerate and if they aren't, they'll know about it. Actually most of us aren't home anyway and if we are usually we're not home at the same time, so it works out nicely. When I'm not home he'll play his music and when I come in he'll turn it down, but then again he knows that I have a temper because I have lost it a few times for other things unrelated to the building and he's heard me yelling. lol

I have a neighbor across from me that has a few dogs and one of them would bark incessantly and I used to start cursing sometimes out in the hallway (usually things like STFU lol) because I'd come home tired from work and as soon as I get in and start making my way to my apartment all I would hear is that little damn dog barking as if it was my dog and he was excited to hear my coming in. The thing is he would bark for any little thing and go on and on and considering how quiet our building is it was rather irritating at times. The other day I was outside getting a package and she comes over after parking her car and said how she got rid of the dog because it was making so much noise and I started laughing but more so at her actions because she made a point to tell me about it and how we could all get some sleep now, not that the dog ever stopped me from sleeping because my neighbor above me rarely makes any noise, so much so that you'd think no one lived over me. lol It was kind of her way of saying yeah I know you hated that damn dog for making so much noise and I apologize without actually saying so.

well I dunno if you are owning or renting your place, but for me the house is already paid off so its not as simple as pack everything up, put it up for sale, and get money to move to another house. Also for my sakes I just hope the noise is kept at a minimum and considering the guy that lives there is a big 'ex con' like guy with 3 other thugs below, he's not the type of guy I'd want to confront directly. The only 'relief' I get is knowing from my good neighbor that cops have stopped in the area to check on the house. So I dunno how much longer the nightmare lasts, but I dunno if I can deal with this for a whole year.

I would be pissed off about the endless dog barking. Last summer a different neighbor had this dog that would go on and on for a minutes at a time and wouldn't stop till at night when it was probably dragged into the basement or something. I am thankful my dog doesn't bark on and on. He does bark when he wants attention, but otherwise is pretty well behaved.

Edited by Grand Concourse

well I dunno if you are owning or renting your place, but for me the house is already paid off so its not as simple as pack everything up, put it up for sale, and get money to move to another house. Also for my sakes I just hope the noise is kept at a minimum and considering the guy that lives there is a big 'ex con' like guy with 3 other thugs below, he's not the type of guy I'd want to confront directly. The only 'relief' I get is knowing from my good neighbor that cops have stopped in the area to check on the house. So I dunno how much longer the nightmare lasts, but I dunno if I can deal with this for a whole year.

I would be pissed off about the endless dog barking. Last summer a different neighbor had this dog that would go on and on for a minutes at a time and wouldn't stop till at night when it was probably dragged into the basement or something. I am thankful my dog doesn't bark on and on. He does bark when he wants attention, but otherwise is pretty well behaved.

Well owning or renting makes no difference. I've heard of plenty of horror stories where people buy an apartment and their neighbors are so horrible that they are forced to sell and move.  I understand that the house is paid off so obviously you have a free ride aside from any insurance or property taxes, so it's a sweet deal, but still.  You're going to have to weigh the pluses and minuses of the place and see what the house could fetch on the open market.  The economy stinks right now with a crappy job market and tight credit but you're in Brooklyn so your neighborhood may be ripe yet to sell.  

I mean hey if you don't say anything then the situation is going to continue.  I mean when I moved into my first place in Riverdale, the guy below me would to bang here and there. I don't know what he was doing there, but one Saturday I was home watching some movies and all I could hear was banging (not constant but off and on)... So I let it go on for a while and said okay it'll stop eventually and then I just got sick of it and I said f*ck this and I got a shoe and started slamming it on the floor and yelled STFU!! The Brooklyn coming out in me....  :lol: I just don't tolerate that and I do have a nasty unpredictable temper so I was bound to snap sooner or later. The noise stopped and since then there weren't any instances of crazy noise.

If you don't want to confront him, then write a letter and leave it at his door or something.  You could also document the situation and see if you take your claim to court but only you know if you would have a serious claim or not.  I would just explore all of my options because it can really be stressful living in a situation where you're not comfortable. So far I've been very fortunate to be in apartments that have been great in terms of noise.  My first apartment back in Italy was fantastic.  There was a lady that lived across from me but she was rarely there. I got the feeling that was her pied-à-terre so to speak and then she had another place on the weekends, so it was always quiet.

That's one reason I left Staten Island because I didn't think that apartment living would've been the same even in so called upscale areas because there aren't a lot of them and I wanted a quiet sort of living in a suburban environment.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah, it's a good time to buy while prices are low, but terrible to sell as there's another house up the block that's still up for sale and no buyers yet.

Well I have been tempted to bang back on the wall, but like I said, this guy is a scary pos. I don't want to provoke it. But I will keep using the 311 website. I mean if the cops have shown up a few times, I'm assuming it's working. This guy seems to be random, but weekends seems to be ok. Friday it seems is the worst with at least once a month with the loud parties. Weekdays are hit or miss.

Yeah, it's a good time to buy while prices are low, but terrible to sell as there's another house up the block that's still up for sale and no buyers yet.

Well I have been tempted to bang back on the wall, but like I said, this guy is a scary pos. I don't want to provoke it. But I will keep using the 311 website. I mean if the cops have shown up a few times, I'm assuming it's working. This guy seems to be random, but weekends seems to be ok. Friday it seems is the worst with at least once a month with the loud parties. Weekdays are hit or miss.

Oh yeah... That's one reason I'm skeptical about buying here in Riverdale.  I want a condo and the problem is there are very few condos here and most of them are 2-3 bedrooms, which I don't need, not to mention more cleaning... <_< There are TONS of co-ops here and the problem with them is that they sit on the market since co-op boards tend to be pickier and there's so many to chose from here to boot, making it hard to sell when you're ready to move...  A friend of mine has been sitting on a co-op for a few years now up in Westchester.  He needs a bigger place because he and his wife had a little one and they've been stuck with that one bedroom that no one wants to buy. Smh Much harder to move than condos since more people are involved (esp. the co-op boards).  I believe he owes more on it than it's worth currently so he's underwater on it... 

The condos here are mainly high-end luxury buildings with garages for parking, doormen and so on, so that's a nice bonus but I have not seen any condos in my immediate area that are one bedrooms or even large studios, both of which would suit me perfectly, as I'm a minimalist.

I may wind up settling on a co-op though because a lot of them offer onsite parking, a doorman, gym, laundry and other nice amenities... Pretty much what you would find in Manhattan, but in a more suburban, quieter setting. 

Yeah dealing with 311 may get you somewhere, but the question is what happens when the cops do show up? What does he do?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Pretty much nothing, just wait outside for a few min. But one visit was by a detective, who I think has stopped by before because one of the tenants downstairs skipped a hearing for farebeating some years back. So I am assuming the cops have a record on those ppl, thus I hope they keep the pressure on the guy or bust him for something.

It's one thing if it was just that 'owner', but his circle of 'associates' worries me. All of them are just as loud and probably drugged up pos scum. I mean yeah Friday night is the weekend, but that's no excuse to be in a 'shouting match' and screaming at 2am. Take that shit to a bar or something.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Pretty much nothing, just wait outside for a few min. But one visit was by a detective, who I think has stopped by before because one of the tenants downstairs skipped a hearing for farebeating some years back. So I am assuming the cops have a record on those ppl, thus I hope they keep the pressure on the guy or bust him for something.

It's one thing if it was just that 'owner', but his circle of 'associates' worries me. All of them are just as loud and probably drugged up pos scum. I mean yeah Friday night is the weekend, but that's no excuse to be in a 'shouting match' and screaming at 2am. Take that shit to a bar or something.

LOL.... That's the whole problem... If they're just waiting outside, all he has to do is turn the music down and wait for them to leave... 

Just an observation about the government sequester and it's relationship with airport delays in the NYC area. I had to make a quick two day trip to NC on Monday. I arrived at LGA for my flight on US Air. Flight scheduled for 11:30 am. We pulled away from the gate exactly on time. So far so good, right ? Let me point out that I've flown this exact flight at least 20 times in the past. I've been aboard this flight when the wings had to be de-iced at the gate before it pulled out.. Monday, because of the air traffic controller furloughs, we were delayed on the take-off line for 58 minutes before actually taking off. When we finally arrived in Charlotte where I had to make a connection an active duty soldier and I made a 12 minute run and just made our connecting flight to Fayetteville. We laughed and thought we lucked out. Wrong. When the baggage carousel came on in Fayetteville we found that our baggage didn't make our connection on time so we had to wait almost two hours before our bags finally arrived on the next flight from Charlotte. Wednesday, on my trip back north, I was ready for anything. Good thing I was. My flight from Fayetteville to Charlotte took off 25 minutes late which cut into my 1:47 layover time in Charlotte. We started boarding the flight to LGA and some people were on board when an announcement was made to stop boarding all flights destined for NYC area, Charlotte to LGA, JFK, and EWR(Newark), because of control tower staffing issues in the metro NY area. The flight, scheduled for a 6:49 departure, resumed boarding at 7:15. We pulled away from the gate at 7:35 and taxied toward the runway. Before we got on the take-off line the pilot announced that NY ATC (air traffic control) wanted all flights to remain on the ground further notice so we waited on a plane, on the ground, until we finally took off at 8:32 for LGA. Mind you this flight was scheduled to arrive at LGA at 8:38 but at least we were finally in the air. It wasn't the end though. 60 miles south of LGA the pilot announced that NY ATC wanted us to fly in a holding pattern for a while. We flew in a wide circle over the Pennsylvania/South Jersey area for another 45 minutes before we proceeded to LGA and landed. The airport usually isn't that crowded that late on a Wednesday night but it was packed inside and out. Most of the airline slots were as full as if it was a Monday morning "rush". The terminals were packed inside as well with passengers waiting for connections and out-going flights from LGA. There were long lines outside with people waiting for buses, taxis, rental car shuttles, and cars waiting to pick up arriving travelers. I saw 2 crush loaded M60s. When you think about it many of those non-travelers may have driven to the airport from Long Island, Brooklyn or Queens, the Bronx or Westchester to pick up people and had to wait as long as we travelers did. It wouldn't make sense for them to go home and come back later with the constantly changing flight times. To sum up. Only in New York.

Anyone watch HBO's game of thrones? I don't really care much for it, but the dragon chick's storyline seemed to interest me. Not to mention how the ads are always featuring her. This week's ep was pretty cool.

Not to mention you find her cute as well lol... ;) Can't lie to me! She is cute though... I don't watch the show however... 

-----------------------------

On the topic of shows, I know I might get flamed for this but I don't watch the walking dead and get quite annoyed when folks keep mentioning it... I know the next season starts in October simply because a friend of mines keeps talking about it... That's ok... While you guys watch the walking dead, I'll be playing GTA V by that time lol...

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

Not to mention you find her cute as well lol... ;) Can't lie to me! She is cute though... I don't watch the show however... 

On the topic of shows, I know I might get flamed for this but I don't watch the walking dead and get quite annoyed when folks keep mentioning it... I know the next season starts in October simply because a friend of mines keeps talking about it... That's ok... While you guys watch the walking dead, I'll be playing GTA V by that time lol...

I watch the Walking Dead...

Basically everything AMC, i just don't bother with it. I don't want to be bothered with the commercials and hype. The last 'cult' show I watched was Fringe and that's because it appealed to me as a scifi fan. I'm pretty much limiting my shows list. Once the current stuff ends, that's pretty much it. Syfy's defiance is soso, but I can't give my time to it when they canned a potential BSG blood and chrome series (the movie was pretty good and i liked the 2003 series). So not much hope. I will give that 'SHIELD' series a shot if it does air especially if Whedon is in charge of it.