Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of the SAT, I never quite got the conspiracy theorists (this includes my own father) that thought the SAT is racist or racially biased.... I don't remember what I got on the thing the 2 times I took it, but if it were up to my father, I never would've taken the thing.... I was expecting some blatant shit (the questions) before I took those SAT prep courses (at prostitute prospect heights high, or w/e it's called now), but then I saw the sample questions & was like, aint shit racist or racially biased about this.....

On a side note, those prep courses were the worst waste of 4 saturday mornings (it was 5 weeks total; one session I overslept & just stayed home)..... 3 out of the 4 saturdays I did go, it rained - the saturday I didn't go, it also rained (guess that was all an omen huh... lol)

Thank lord I took the SAT's when there was no essay involved...

I know right....

Yeah those prep classes were useless. I didn't improve 'dramatically' from what i got (don't remember anymore). And lol, truth about the essay part. I mean how do they grade that? At least on the other parts, it goes thru a machine and you are either right or wrong. I'd hate to be the person(s) that have to read thru all those essays.

....And lol, truth about the essay part. I mean how do they grade that? At least on the other parts, it goes thru a machine and you are either right or wrong. I'd hate to be the person(s) that have to read thru all those essays.

How the SAT essays are scored (supposedly)

^^ My summary of it.... They just have teachers go around skimming for errors & slap a score on 'em there-afterwards, based on how much or how little of them (errors) they find..... No way in hell are all those essays being read.... Hell, if I had to sit there & grade em, I'd personally give any student a '6' (the top score) for not even bothering to write one... Lol.....

How the SAT essays are scored (supposedly)

^^ My summary of it.... They just have teachers go around skimming for errors & slap a score on 'em there-afterwards, based on how much or how little of them (errors) they find..... No way in hell are all those essays being read.... Hell, if I had to sit there & grade em, I'd personally give any student a '6' (the top score) for not even bothering to write one... Lol.....

LOL... Never graded SAT's before but I was a TA for a college Spanish course for one semester and I had to grade tests with the professor.... LOL, boy was that fun... If I was the one giving the actual grades, I think almost all of the class would've failed the tests because those Spanish exams were full of grammatical errors... It was an introductory course, so the professor said that I should essentially cut them some slack and try to give partial credit where possible.  :lol: In short grading can sometimes be rather subjective and usually unless the person grading is a real hard ass, they try to cut some slack.  

When I got my score report, I just saw the scores for the 3 parts (reading, math, critical writing), but I didn't bother to check my essay score. I rechecked after reading those posts and found out got a 10/12 on that. (They actually scanned it so I could see what I wrote when I checked my grade).

IIRC, the AP score reports were a lot less generous with the information they gave out. All I saw was what score I got on a scale of 1-5, but unlike the SAT, they didn't break it down in terms of your raw score, and what percentile you got and all that.

This is the first year that they're not mailing out score reports for the AP exams, so we'll have to check it online. But the stupid thing is I can't figure out a way to access scores from previous years. 

When I got my score report, I just saw the scores for the 3 parts (reading, math, critical writing), but I didn't bother to check my essay score. I rechecked after reading those posts and found out got a 10/12 on that. (They actually scanned it so I could see what I wrote when I checked my grade).

IIRC, the AP score reports were a lot less generous with the information they gave out. All I saw was what score I got on a scale of 1-5, but unlike the SAT, they didn't break it down in terms of your raw score, and what percentile you got and all that.

This is the first year that they're not mailing out score reports for the AP exams, so we'll have to check it online. But the stupid thing is I can't figure out a way to access scores from previous years. 

Yeah, I think it is better to get them online, too bad they don't finish them until July :( I wanna know what I got in AP Psych !

When did they close the food court in the manhattan mall? and why i forgot the story?

The food court got removed sometime in either 2007 or 2008 to make room for the JC Penney (which occupies both lower level floors now) that opened its doors in sometime in 2009...

The food court used to be way up on the 7th floor, but since the mall got condensed to 4 or 5 floors (including the 2 lower levels), that's when the food court got moved down to the basement... That was the beginning of the end of the mall (in terms of popularity) - I mean ppl. still go there, but you see more people shopping at other stores in the vicinity of manhattan mall than inside it....

B35 beat me to the punch

When did they close the food court in the manhattan mall? and why i forgot the story?

i remember when the mall had 9 total floors of retail (like 1999-2000), 7 above and 2 sub floors. Its been a slow death of the place when the top floors were converted to office space. The lowest level was the food court, which was actually pretty nice. But now with jcpenny taking up the entire basement, the place is just bland. I think the big store like a&s then sterns which occupied a big spot towards the 7th av side closed as well. Otherwise i would've figured jcpenny could have just taken the back portion of the mall than to move to the basement and kicking out the food court. Edited by Grand Concourse

The food court got removed sometime in either 2007 or 2008 to make room for the JC Penney (which occupies both lower level floors now) that opened its doors in sometime in 2009...

The food court used to be way up on the 7th floor, but since the mall got condensed to 4 or 5 floors (including the 2 lower levels), that's when the food court got moved down to the basement... That was the beginning of the end of the mall (in terms of popularity) - I mean ppl. still go there, but you see more people shopping at other stores in the vicinity of manhattan mall than inside it....

B35 beat me to the punchi remember when the mall had 9 total floors of retail (like 1999-2000), 7 above and 2 sub floors. Its been a slow death of the place when the top floors were converted to office space. The lowest level was the food court, which was actually pretty nice. But now with jcpenny taking up the entire basement, the place is just bland. I think the big store like a&s then sterns which occupied a big spot towards the 7th av side closed as well. Otherwise i would've figured jcpenny could have just taken the back portion of the mall than to move to the basement and kicking out the food court.

can you still acess the subway from the mall and when you enter your close to the front of the 6th ave line correct?

I remember when this happened. A LOT of people stopped going to Manhattan Mall. In fact, I find it rather boring myself and haven't even been there since I moved out of Manhattan last year. That place is soo boring!

can you still acess the subway from the mall and when you enter your close to the front of the 6th ave line correct?

There is an entrance by the front of the mall, iirc.

B35 beat me to the punchi remember when the mall had 9 total floors of retail (like 1999-2000), 7 above and 2 sub floors. Its been a slow death of the place when the top floors were converted to office space. The lowest level was the food court, which was actually pretty nice. But now with jcpenny taking up the entire basement, the place is just bland. I think the big store like a&s then sterns which occupied a big spot towards the 7th av side closed as well. Otherwise i would've figured jcpenny could have just taken the back portion of the mall than to move to the basement and kicking out the food court.

I was in there a month or two ago to pick up some things from Babies R Us for a baby shower... I agree with the comments... I actually didn't even shop there... Only went there because I ordered items online and that place carried them so I picked them up there but didn't stay for anything.   I've been there once to pick up some Ray-Bans but I never stayed long enough or cared to stay for any food or anything else.  JC Penny isn't exactly the in place to be.  :lol:

The main attraction about the older version (7th story one) was the glass walled elevator going all the way to the top. And even going up all the escalators and the view of 6th av. (Which is totally gone because they had some stores like gamestop on the 2nd floor blocking out the view.)

Back then i would go there just for the food court. But even with the reduction (with the food court at the basement), it was still ok. But now with jcpenny, they had to knock down the other elevator side and they blocked the view of the remaining elevators with the giant jcpenny sign as if the 'floating cube' wasn't enough... So i wasnt crazy about the stores there, but to me what made that mall neat was how high up it was and how nice it looked. Now, they could just turn it into another soulless office building above a subway entrance.

Edited by Grand Concourse

The main attraction about the older version (7th story one) was the glass walled elevator going all the way to the top. And even going up all the escalators and the view of 6th av. (Which is totally gone because they had some stores like gamestop on the 2nd floor blocking out the view.)

Back then i would go there just for the food court. But even with the reduction (with the food court at the basement), it was still ok. But now with jcpenny, they had to knock down the other elevator side and they blocked the view of the remaining elevators with the giant jcpenny sign as if the 'floating cube' wasn't enough... So i wasnt crazy about the stores there, but to me what made that mall neat was how high up it was and how nice it looked. Now, they could just turn it into another soulless office building above a subway entrance.

they got rid of the glass elevators?!

From my friend Ceirra;

Okay so lets get this straight. Movies are labeled as rated R because of nudity and sexual content. But in kid movies like Mulan or Ariel the little mermaid, character is straight up killing ponies. Pg 13 movies that include, the ring, one missed call and poltergeist are movies that involve multiple deaths that are pretty gruesome are more appropriate than watching two ponies do the dirty. I'm not saying it shouldn't be rated as high, but how did sex, which is a natural part of life, become more inappropriate than murder, which is ILLEGAL and a pretty devastating way to die. Parents are okay with their kids watching ponies die, but when their foals watch two ponies go at it, it's officially a problem.

The struggle to find a summer job...

I have no idea where to apply -__-

Believe me, I can relate.

With you being young and all I suppose your options are limited. Care to name some areas of interest?

Believe me, I can relate.

With you being young and all I suppose your options are limited. Care to name some areas of interest?

something involving like photography, would be best.

But generally, anything that can be like 9-3 or something on weekdays

something involving like photography, would be best.

But generally, anything that can be like 9-3 or something on weekdays

I honestly don't have much advice in regard to a job like that.

Knowing you're nearly 18, perhaps consider contacting some ad agencies in your local area. Uusually they tend to work with cameras and you could pick up some skills along the way.

Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help. Good luck with your job search though.

Edited by Turbo19