Heroic train operator faces ax for tackling lunatic

CPBO

By TOM NAMAKO and KIRSTEN FLEMING

A train driver who subdued a crazed man threatening other passengers could bizarrely lose her job for "gross misconduct," The Post has learned.

On Oct. 22, Adeline Bayne-Goody, a 56-year-old subway motorwoman with more than 20 years on the job, held down lunatic Jason Atkinson at the 78th Street station on the No. 1 line until police arrived.

But the next day officials told her she had committed "gross misconduct" and should lose her job for leaving her post, according to MTA documents.

Atkinson, 38, starting berating passengers in the first car of a southbound train at the 86th Street station at 10:40 a.m., documents show.

When the train arrived at 79th Street, Atkinson began pounding on the window of Goody's driver's cab, according to MTA documents.

When she opened the door, Atkinson allegedly unleashed a tirade of racial epithets, spit on her and punched her on the chin, documents state.

When Atkinson tried to flee, the feisty Goody tackled him, sources said.

Goody yesterday said she had no comment on the incident.

She is currently on suspension but her case is still in the disciplinary process.

Additional reporting by C.J. Sullivan NY POST

:tdown::tdown:

By TOM NAMAKO and KIRSTEN FLEMING

A train driver who subdued a crazed man threatening other passengers could bizarrely lose her job for "gross misconduct," The Post has learned.<p>

train driver who subdued a crazed man threatening other passengers could bizarrely lose her job for "gross misconduct," The Post has learned.

On Oct. 22, Adeline Bayne-Goody, a 56-year-old subway motorwoman with more than 20 years on the job, held down lunatic Jason Atkinson at the 78th Street station on the No. 1 line until police arrived.

But the next day officials told her she had committed "gross misconduct" and should lose her job for leaving her post, according to MTA documents.

Atkinson, 38, starting berating passengers in the first car of a southbound train at the 86th Street station at 10:40 a.m., documents show.

When the train arrived at 79th Street, Atkinson began pounding on the window of Goody's driver's cab, according to MTA documents.

When she opened the door, Atkinson allegedly unleashed a tirade of racial epithets, spit on her and punched her on the chin, documents state.

When Atkinson tried to flee, the feisty Goody tackled him, sources said.

Goody yesterday said she had no comment on the incident.

She is currently on suspension but her case is still in the disciplinary process.

Additional reporting by C.J. Sullivan NY POST

:tdown::tdown:

And people wonder why we don't want to get involved........

This is the MTA playing harball with the new brit in charge..

If anything she will get in trouble for leaving her cab thats it...

This is the MTA playing harball with the new brit in charge..

If anything she will get in trouble for leaving her cab thats it...

Really, i think that's the only thing she did wrong, and while the suspension sucks, that's better than losing your job. Hopefully, that doesn't happen.

Thumbs down. Especially after that TriMet operator got fired for ignoring passenger calls for assistance, you can't fault the operator for opening the door when knocked on (unless it was while the train was moving).

By rule, the T/O has the right to defend himself/herself or passengers using as minimal physical force as is necessary to prevent injury to himself/herself or a passenger, but no more. From the sounds of the article this T/O did just that. It would have been against rule book but mooks like this criminal really deserve more than anything else a good across the face swat with a brake handle to unhinge their jaw a little bit.

Of course in the day and age of political correctness and "why can't we all just get along" and "play nice in front of mommy" that won't be allowed to happen. God forbid someone gets hurt and the operator did nothing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The double standards that people hold suits to vs. everyone else is ridiculous. If this was some lawyer that did this in the lobby of his office building, he'd be a "hero".

This is messed up.

Does (MTA) really expect someone to not leave their cab if somebody came pounding at the cab door constantly? Its human nature to investigate the situation and I don't think anyone being threatened by racial slurs or even spit on will calm down and say get off the train.

If the T/O gets fired, I hope somebody ends up spitting on the officials wanting to kick him out the job and calling them with racial slurs.

This is messed up.

Does (MTA) really expect someone to not leave their cab if somebody came pounding at the cab door constantly? Its human nature to investigate the situation and I don't think anyone being threatened by racial slurs or even spit on will calm down and say get off the train.

If the T/O gets fired, I hope somebody ends up spitting on the officials wanting to kick him out the job and calling them with racial slurs.

Two thumbs up and 5 Stars for this post cut their hands and balls off and burn them in effigy

You haven't seen the new brake handles. They wouldn't break wind let alone a jaw.

Cast iron my good man, nothing else makes the cut. I have seen the toy handles they have been handing out, I would not use it as a paper weight.

Two thumbs up for this post and 5 Stars cut their hands and balls off and burn them in effigy

(A)gree with you 100% both of you .

I love my job but make no mistake about it , I will defend myself ,(D)on't (F) with me .(A) job is just that ,(A) job ,However your life is much more precious. (MTA):tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown:

(MTA) Once again you fail. It shows the good people in NYC that their employees do care about their safety and this is what the (MTA) condemns?SMH:confused:

That's the problem with the (MTA) this whole thing about the Customer is always right is being taken out of context and going way to far they would rather you get punched, kicked, knocked out or god forbid killed so you can go out on workers comp so they won't have to pay up but like i was told workers comp can take forever and by then you could be out of a house and a home and behind on payments

They better take mines out of my cold dead hands... :)

Just give it another 15-20 years and they won't want it back. Everything will need that stupid console key. Thank god the good 'ole shoe paddle wont go the way of the A/B, Arnine, SMEE, and everything else that was fun.

you guys are missing the point. it is NOT our job to protect the public. that is not what we are TRAINED to do. if we try to take matters into our own hands, like leaving your position in a fit of rage to CHASE after a hostile deranged man DOWN THE PLATFORM who just spit/assaulted you and tackling him down (which is what a TSS told me is what happened in this case which wasn't mentioned in the papers - that is NOT self defense and that is what she is being disciplined for), the MTA will be facing lawsuits GALORE and you will be risking your job... do i think she should lose her job? no. do i think she should be disciplined? yes. if you want to protect the public and be a hero, become a cop.

you guys are missing the point. it is NOT our job to protect the public. that is not what we are TRAINED to do. if we try to take matters into our own hands, like leaving your position in a fit of rage to CHASE after a hostile deranged man DOWN THE PLATFORM who just spit/assaulted you and tackling him down (which is what a TSS told me is what happened in this case which wasn't mentioned in the papers - that is NOT self defense and that is what she is being disciplined for), the MTA will be facing lawsuits GALORE and you will be risking your job... do i think she should lose her job? no. do i think she should be disciplined? yes. if you want to protect the public and be a hero, become a cop.
Whoa Spit and assault I hope he gets that seven years that they promised for assault if not thats just a trumped up lie no one should be subjected to someone elses bodily fluids

I don't usually talk ill of anyone but during these economic hard times and during the holiday season how dare these people try and take food out of someones mouth Damned those Supervisors

If we try to take matters into our own hands, like leaving your position in a fit of rage to CHASE after a hostile deranged man DOWN THE PLATFORM who just spit/assaulted you and tackling him down (which is what a TSS told me is what happened in this case which wasn't mentioned in the papers - that is NOT self defense and that is what she is being disciplined for

That action she took changes things right there ....:)

Cast iron my good man, nothing else makes the cut. I have seen the toy handles they have been handing out, I would not use it as a paper weight.
I wasn't sure they were still issuing those. I know TSS's were getting them, and they tried it in the A Div. where almost the entire East side section doesn't need them.

I wish I had one, to get rid of the weight (Also, one of those TSS radios, which are half the size of ours).

What they should do is place R46 style controllers (or better yet, M1 style controllers) in the 62's and 68's, abnd then they can get rid of brake handles altogether, except for miscellaneous equipment.

Brake handles will still be needed for the next 15-20 years or how ever long the R62/68s are still in the system, same goes with reverser keys as you still need them for the R44/46 too. As for the radios, the ones that crews get, those big ones suck. The little ones that TSS have and other supervisors get are alot better. I have seen some T/Os that buy their own radios but carry their issued ones to comply with the rules.

Archived